• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

unis? (1 Viewer)

i-color

Yes i'm thinking of doing economics/law in uni...and I can't decide between usyd or unsw....anyone got any suggestions? I know law is better at sydney....but what about eco?

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
unsw's finance and economics are generally considered better than usyd, but really....much of a muchness at uni and as for employers, everyone i've spoken to couldn't care less. it all comes down to how well you do wherever you go.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
law isnt realli betta at usyd..... its def more prestious and has a greater alumni than unsw.. but it's entirley living on reputation...

commerce wise.... unsw would be first.. then uts.. and then usyd..

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
uni doesn't matter. usyd and unsw r too close to call anyway. i've spoken to ppl in the law industry, incl a partner at baker and mckenzies, and they all say it depends on how well u do inside ur course. so i think other factors should influence ur decision, such as location/transport, any scholarships, extra-curricular actiivities, friends etc.

i-color

Hmm I know commerce is better at unsw...but economics?! My next door neighbour said eco is better at sydney...but personally I don't think it makes much of a difference anymore because both unis are good. Eco isn't in uts so that's not in the question.

And...really I couldn't care less whether sb goes to my uni. ahhaha sorry...i'm from st george girls btw, truly-in-bliss.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
It doesn't matter what uni you go to, but as others have pointed out, it's how well u go in your course. There is hardly any difference between Usyd and UNSW in terms of commerce and economics in Australia. People think that because the cut-off for commerce at UNSW is higher than Usyd, then this means it is better. This is not true, the UAI's are only based on demand and supply, and how many positions for a particular course are available.

If u were to work in South East asia then possibly a UNSW degree would have an edge over a Usyd one, but then again if u were to work in a country like America, Usyd would have an edge over UNSW.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
If you are interested in big international law firms (Clifford Chance, Linklaters, Allen Overy), they tend to go more for UNSW grads I've noticed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)