• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

UNI gear (1 Viewer)

B

Bears_den

i was just wondering wat uni gear ie textbooks, notebooks ppl use for uni for the 4 subjects they study each semester like do ppl have 1 book for the lecture and 1 for the tut in the subject they study which is the same ?

mattyg87

HSC
i bought a lecture pad and an A4 binder book for each unit...also i got a couple of hundred sleeves, and i already had some display folders for loose papers and stuff like that.

you can find textbooks for individual units at www.coop-bookshop.com.au but you dont have to rush out and get them yet. just wait for the first week of the semester until they tell you what to get :)

Jacks

HSC
hey,

what you choose to use is up to you, there isn't really a set thing that everyone uses. This year for example I'm using one of those 5 subject notebooks that are split into 5 sections, my particular one has sleeves in which to put sheets etc. I don't really think there is any need to have a separate book for your tute, though this will vary depending on what units you do. What you decide to use is really a personal choice...some people use notebooks, some use loose leaf paper and organise it in a folder. Feel free to experiment with a few things, that way you can find what works for you best. Consider your organisational skills and everything like that when you choose, but in the long run if it works well for you then that is the main thing. Unless you are told to have something specific for a particular reason in a tute, then it is fine to use whatever you feel comfortable with.

As was said above you can search for the textbooks you need, though I suggest you don't buy them until you attend your first lecture or tutorial for each subject. You will receive a unit outline that will have all the details about everything you need, and it will all be explained to you. :)

Last edited:

klh

HSC
when you go to tutes, the person will let you know if you have to use specific equipment. e.g. loose leafs sometimes are used in some units because of h/w and the need to hand them in, when you start, you can just ask them.
my preference in loose leafs because i dont have to remember which excercise book to bring and plus i dont have to be neat, i can scribble than do a nicer version so i can read it later down the track

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
OMGOSH! I went stationary shopping the other day and spent like $50 ... I think that I went overboard ... lol.

candi_licious

heyy..just wondering what is the deal with laptops at uws...do many ppl bring them? or would i look like a fish out of water if i took mine to a lecture? Coz its just that i type faster than i can write..and its also neater....
thx !

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I haven't seen too many people with laptops. Personally I find the clicking of keys during lectures to be annoying. And many lecturers will think that your playing games or surfing the net instead of listening to the lecture. It would be better to ask the lecturer if they allow laptops in their lecture.

Jacks

HSC
well I haven't noticed many people with them in my course either, but I suppose it depends what you do...by all means though if you feel more comfortable typing I suppose you could do that...though maybe you could write first and type later? personally I couldn't be bothered carrying it around, and I'd be paranoid about it getting lost or stolen...it's up to you though, so I'd go with whatever you're comfortable with. I do agree with cape that lecturers and students may find your typing distracting, so I'd definitely check first.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
And not to mention is easier just to draw the diagrams down on paper than what it is to do on a laptop :D

SweetSeasons

HSC
I'm getting a lap top so I can type all my notes up on the way home, do assignments on the way home ect.

michelleanne

HSC
Tips to buying a laptop.

I have been at uni for 5years and brought a laptop in August Last year. When I had huge assessments i used to hog the home comp so i thought it was time to get one of my own.

It has been fantastic for assignments.. ... i can do assignments in my room.... no one else bothering me.

but realistically, I had to take my laptop to uni a few times for a powerpoint presentation and it annoyed the hell out of me. You think they dont weight much but carrying it all day.. at times it felt like a tonne.

You can't use the internet on your laptop... there is no access at uni. Also, the battery life on laptops could cause you problems since u may not have access to a powerpoint.

Also, doing assignments and work on your laptop on the way home on the train/bus? Have you really thought this through....... in theory sounds good but i can't see how you could concentrate.

However, I do have a few tips on buying a lap top:

Shopping around is essential when buying a Lap top.

Stay Away from Myers. DJ'S etc...... they dont reduce or discount prices.

The good guys are good, Mega Mart, Harvery Norman, Bing Lee, Retra Vision.

I ended up buying my Laptop from Megamart.....Auburn.....

I brought a Toshiba widescreen P4.....extra warranty and free bag....... and they matched the good guys price....... the good thing about megamart is that they usually have 12months interst free if you have a coles myer card..... basically you have 12months to pay no interst... no lock in contracts etc. So each month I pay a bit at a time...

I found mega mart great..... I originally brought a Compaq but had to get it replaced twice because the modem was faulty, on the third time I was so sick of the hassle that I thought to go with the toshiba... no problems and its great. So stay away from Compaq.... Megamart did say they so have modem problems.

Dont be afraid to bargain and ask for free stuff..... warranaty is important, get extra warranty cover if you can. Dont buy any software from stores, get it frm the coop bookshop... cheap prices for students.

Go into shops like Harvery Norman at just about closing time on a Sunday when you are ready to buy. Haggle with them and they will give u a great deal... I did this... they gave me a great price on an LG centrino with heaps of freebies but I didn't want centrino....

Most important...... Have a budget, know what you want to use your laptop for and dont let them suck you in.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Some lecturers allow them while some don't. Its best to ask your lecturer first and you never know, you might find the whole lecture thing different than you thought and you might not need one.

Jacks

HSC
yeah technically you do need permission to tape a lecture, so it's really important that you check with your lecturer first, like cape says some don't mind, but others do...though having a tape recorder is not essential, a lot of the time you will find that taking notes is good enough...it's always good to have one handy in case you need it though, for other related stuff like assignments. Again just be mindful to check before you do anything because each lecturer has their own way of doing things. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)