• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

UAI question regarding 4u maths (2 Viewers)

Skeeter

Banned
HSC
conics2008 said:
why do 4units if you think your going to go bad.. i dont get you ???
Pressure from parents. I do 3 unit maths and there are a couple of people in my class who really can't handle 3 unit, but are forced to continue with it because of all the money their parents have put towards their education.

peregrinus

HSC
Trebla said:
I know it depends on the difficulty of the test. I was giving a numerical estimate based on rough statistical "averages" over the last few years. Lately Ext2 exams have not been insanely hard. The Board of Studies "tries" to keep difficulty consistent every year, but one's perception of difficulty is very subjective.

You couldn't be more wrong! I for one NEVER got over 85% for any of my assessments in Ext2 and I managed a HSC mark of 94 :p. Similarly, with a lot of my friends who just passed their assessments, they got almost 90 in the HSC. I didn't even go to a top 40 school. Standards across various schools are very different. Some schools set easy assessments, others set much harder assesssments and this has little correlation with the ranking of the school in the state.

That's the ideal, but it is not the case in reality. What is the majority reason a lot of people take Ext2? They like the HIGH SCALING! I don't think most of the bottom half of the Ext2 candidature would actually "like" the maths offered in the course. A lot of people I know who did Ext2 aren't exactly the type who "like" maths. A lot of people who do 'badly' in Maths (not even close to 90 in Ext1) still do Ext2.
you really got 94?? and your friends got 90??
wow!!
what were you and your friends marks like for school-based assessments throughout the year?? (if you can remember)

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Skeeter: I'm so sorry but this fact really 'sucks the ball' (just read above, try applying).

What time is this that we still have to handle this sort of cliched parents' pressure? Are they studying for you or you are studying for them? The whole thing is about you. Well, maybe the fact is you're not bad but you think you are bad, sheer low self-esteem. It's too late to drop anyway so put aside that sort of 'pressures' and go ahead as if 4u is inevitable in your life. Keep thinking about 'Ew, I'm screwed at maths' and 'parents don't understand me' and you'll "suck the ball', not only your weird scenario.

Good luck.

PS: have you ever really thought what you've been doing all these for? Do you even need a UAI or a seat in the Uni? Or it's again 'parents't pressure'? 4u is awesome, mind you.

peregrinus

HSC
Undermyskin said:
Skeeter: I'm so sorry but this fact really 'sucks the ball' (just read above, try applying).

What time is this that we still have to handle this sort of cliched parents' pressure? Are they studying for you or you are studying for them? The whole thing is about you. Well, maybe the fact is you're not bad but you think you are bad, sheer low self-esteem. It's too late to drop anyway so put aside that sort of 'pressures' and go ahead as if 4u is inevitable in your life. Keep thinking about 'Ew, I'm screwed at maths' and 'parents don't understand me' and you'll "suck the ball', not only your weird scenario.

Good luck.

PS: have you ever really thought what you've been doing all these for? Do you even need a UAI or a seat in the Uni? Or it's again 'parents't pressure'? 4u is awesome, mind you.
ok so i never said i didnt like or enjoy 4u, i love maths.

yes i do need a UAI otherwise i would be doing subjects like 4u maths, adv english, chem, sdd etc.

No im not suffering from parent pressure, i am my own person

like i have said before, i said IF i do bad, i never said that i am going bad, im just not getting marks i am happy with.

what is it with everyone questioning my motives, i just asked a simple HYPOTHETICAL question.

thanks to the few people who have given me constructive advice

conics2008

HSC
Skeeter said:
Pressure from parents. I do 3 unit maths and there are a couple of people in my class who really can't handle 3 unit, but are forced to continue with it because of all the money their parents have put towards their education.
what pressure, my family doesn't even know im doing 4units. Im doing fine with 3unit/4unit.. soo I dont think its parents, and last time i checked public education is for free!

unless they got tutor, which i think its just stupid!

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
doink said:
FACT: If you havn't got 85%+ in your assessments, chances are 4u isn't for you because the assessments are 500x easier than the trials and HSC, just have a look at a couple Q8's and you'll see what I'm talking about.
I really doubt this statement. The percentage really depends on the difficulty of the test. Let's say one school has a easy test and everyone gets 90-95% and another school has a hard test and mostly everyone get 70-80%. You can't say that a person from one school is better than the other because of their percentage. Similarly, the value 85% in one test is different from the other and is subjected to change

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)