• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Transferring (3 Viewers)

X

xeuyrawp

Smokin'Squirrel said:
As much as I'd like to say yes, I plan on finding me a single attractive intelligent female first year law student...

They're not a myth are they??? I don't think I'm asking for that much ;)
Actually, the LAW1xx lectures I walked in on had a tonne of cute people.

Smokin'Squirrel

Learning to Surf
HSC
PwarYuex said:
If you're getting less than a P in LAW114 or 104, maybe law isn't for you?
I completely agree which is why I plan to get D's or higher... although it is more pressure that may not be necessary.

PwarYuex said:
If you got in through UAC, you can't do 2nd year law units any faster than if you got through the quota. All the 200 level LAW units require you to have done the 104/114 pair. Except for LAW205 - Criminal Law and Procedure I, which requires you to have only chosen one -- however, since this unit is first semester, and requires you to have done one unit, you may as well do the 104/114 pair.

Didn't you look at the handbook?
I've read the handbook many times *lol... tedious read*. Don't believe everything the handbook tells you... I spoke to Maggie and she reassures me that If I want to I can take up 2nd yr law units as co-requisites, if I get in through UAC. It is allowable with permission from the Dean of Law. Hence, if I can get away with it, then I am already into my 3rd yr law subjects and electives next year.

Of course, the quota won't let me exploit this little loop hole.

X

xeuyrawp

Smokin'Squirrel said:
I've read the handbook many times *lol... tedious read*. Don't believe everything the handbook tells you... I spoke to Maggie and she reassures me that If I want to I can take up 2nd yr law units as co-requisites, if I get in through UAC. It is allowable with permission from the Dean of Law. Hence, if I can get away with it, then I am already into my 3rd yr law subjects and electives next year.

Of course, the quota won't let me exploit this little loop hole.
oh dear. I don't know how many times I've said that to people... Maybe I should listen to what I say. You learn something new every day, though, although I did assume that law would have been more set in concrete. :)

Thanks for letting me know. It wouldn't have changed anything, anyway, I've got two Egyptology units to do.

edit: What about the practical matter; would you be fine doing a second-year unit when you haven't mastered the basics?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tabris

HSC
PwarYeux has a good point there, to do LAW 2xx as corequisites without having doine LAW1xx's can be a disadvantage for myself, the experience they have will disadvantage you. Even though this may mean 1-2 semester's longer, it may be more prudent to do that extra time. I dont think its entirely out of the normal for a combined law student who internally transfered to take 5-6 years. But then again its up to u.

As for me i will take an extra semester, doing 16cp where everyone else does 12 may not be in the best interest. But the good thing is that some electives (law 4xx) only requires one 300 level unit so i can catchup around the end my 7th semester, so about 1 semester extra (provided they dont change the semester offerings)

As for my 2nd year, since i cant do any more core units, i will be doing electives so instead of 24CP from 8, its now 23CP from 7 (this means i will be going way over the minimal requirements for combined law)

P.S. Are u starting LAW this semester PwarYeux?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
God you lawyers make me sick (just joking im jealous, i want to be a legal eagle :() ....[wait no i dont, thats why im trying to get into teaching]

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
If you're getting less than a P in LAW114 or 104, maybe law isn't for you?
Great call. As Pwar said, admittance into the quota is as good as transferring into combined law. Getting at least a P with a take home final isn't exactly pressure Smokin'...this is Jurisprudence after all.

Doing Contracts and Crim 1 along with Juris would be a mistake. Though there should be no problem with doing LAW203-Torts in second sem in your first year.

Enjoy the LAW1xx ladies while you can...their attractiveness fades with each passing semester.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
OMG OMG OMG I GOT INTO LAW quota!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im so happy...just got the call from Maggie :D

And for the record...i have the worst gpa of all time...its like below 1.5 lol!!!
I think the letter got me through...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha, oh man, now i really feel shit about not getting into the quota :(

Smokin'Squirrel

Learning to Surf
HSC
PwarYuex said:
What about the practical matter; would you be fine doing a second-year unit when you haven't mastered the basics?
I've done BUSL250 (which is the easy version of law for accounting students) which covers contracts, torts, property and Trade Practices Law. I realise that it isn't the same as doing the law2XX subjects but it gives me a leg up in knowing most of the basics already.

Also, the law1xx subjects are just philosophical subjects to start off with, introducing ideas of how the law has derived, its purpose, etc. You'll find that most other uni's have juris as a 3rd yr subject so I don't think that I'll be that disadvantaged. If I can learn it consecutively, I can learn it similtaneously *I like that... just came up with it :)*

I didn't know that the first yr law subjects were take home tests... just makes it that more difficult to set yourself apart from the rest, considering the majority of participants have a 95+ UAI. A Pass is easy... D's are a little more tricky.

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
anyone else get into the law quota?
my gf got a call today and was accepted with a gpa of ~3.3

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Smokin'Squirrel said:
Also, the law1xx subjects are just philosophical subjects to start off with, introducing ideas of how the law has derived, its purpose, etc. You'll find that most other uni's have juris as a 3rd yr subject so I don't think that I'll be that disadvantaged. If I can learn it consecutively, I can learn it similtaneously *I like that... just came up with it :)*

I didn't know that the first yr law subjects were take home tests... just makes it that more difficult to set yourself apart from the rest, considering the majority of participants have a 95+ UAI. A Pass is easy... D's are a little more tricky.
Juris at MQ is vastly different from other unis. Juris here is more an introduction to the law...you'll learn how to study law, proper legal reading/referencing. I'm not saying you won't be fine in LAW2xx, but you'll be at a disadvantage at the start compared to other students.

Oh, and BUSL is a joke.

Oh and congrats to those that made the law quota. Make sure you support my mates in the Macquarie University Law Society - the society that supports you.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

GoodToGo said:
Great call. As Pwar said, admittance into the quota is as good as transferring into combined law. Getting at least a P with a take home final isn't exactly pressure Smokin'...this is Jurisprudence after all.

Doing Contracts and Crim 1 along with Juris would be a mistake. Though there should be no problem with doing LAW203-Torts in second sem in your first year.

Enjoy the LAW1xx ladies while you can...their attractiveness fades with each passing semester.
I was worried that I sounded like a dick: 'if you can't get good marks, uni isn't for you' sort of thing... But that's not what I meant.

squirrel said:
Also, the law1xx subjects are just philosophical subjects to start off with, introducing ideas of how the law has derived, its purpose, etc. You'll find that most other uni's have juris as a 3rd yr subject so I don't think that I'll be that disadvantaged. If I can learn it consecutively, I can learn it similtaneously
It's my observation that the first-year law units are a practical and theoretical basis for taking other LAW units. Whilst there is a lot of philosophical stuff in the first-year units, I've noticed that they both also act as 'introduction to university law', if that makes sense. Going over the basics of how to deal with law essays, how to look up cases, how to reference, is a surprisingly big part of academia.

I mean, contracts sounds pretty heavy -- I would never do that kind of LAW subject without have understanding the basics...
tabris said:
P.S. Are u starting LAW this semester PwarYuex?
Sure am, mate. I seriously had to flip a coin to decide, but I am giving it a go.

Smokin'Squirrel

Learning to Surf
HSC
GoodToGo said:
Oh, and BUSL is a joke.
BUSL is a joke but it provides a reasonable foundation if I am going to enter 2nd yr law subjects. If it were equivalent to the LAw2xx subjects, then I would get a waiver. As it isn't, I would argue that I am already familiar with many of the concepts that will underpin the law2xx subjects.

I am new at most of this and so I appreciate your opinion. However, I still believe that a little bit of hard work will see me through those 2nd year subjects. Additionally, if I am learning things in 100 level subjects simultaneously, won't it then strengthen my ability to apply those techniques?

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
out of interest, why is BUSL generally considered a joke? I was considering BUSL250 but im not so sure...

Smokin'Squirrel

Learning to Surf
HSC
It's a relatively easy course to get through and they tend to spoon feed you. Although I'm yet to do any law subjects, I think it is just very simple compared to them.

If it counts towards your final degree as an elective, then I would recommend it. Otherwise, don't bother. If you make it into law, then it won't count as an elective "LAW" unit.

*there's a lot of non-english speaking international students buffering most other students into the Credit/Pass range*

minalata

HSC
a very big congrats to all that made it into the law quota!!

what was your uai/gpa???...cos im hoping to get into the law quota next year.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
minalata said:

don't forget to go through UAC as well...

my uai was 97.45; GPA just under 1.5 however I was doing Actuarial Studies...

generally you should have a UAI of 90+ and/or GPA above 3...but apply no matter what, as you won't have anything to lose.

X

xeuyrawp

minalata said:

er, well I had to apply for some random reason, but my GPA and UAI would have implied that.

A friend of mine got in with a GPA of 3.8, and her UAI was only 81...

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
is it me or has it mostly (if not all) of the acceptancees been 1st yrs so far?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)