• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Transferring from B Science to B Engineering @ UNSW (1 Viewer)

wb47

HSC
Hey Guys,

I am to start B Science in July but my initial preference was B Mechanical Engineering. So I decided to try internally transfer into this course but I am still unsure how the program works, would I need to complete a full year of study and then when I meet the 65 WAM (https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/program_transfer/program_trans_Eng.html) which I require I get transferred? And what does Units of Credit required actually mean?

Also would It be best if I choose most of the courses that correspond within my course and BE Mech?

wb47

HSC
Sorry for the double post but I've done a little more research and for my particular course typically a student will complete 48 UOC / year. So since the Min. Internal Transfer required UOC is 36, does that mean I can choose the 6/8 best courses and use them as my WAM?

D94

HSC
N/A
Isn't that 36UOC just a requirement in terms of how many units you need to do before you can transfer? I don't believe it's "how many are counted for your WAM". Your WAM is an average of all your marks; it wouldn't make sense to pick and choose your best.

Anyway, you're going to have to wait until same time next year before you can possibly transfer because you wouldn't have a WAM for the next transfer date.

twistedrebel

HSC
yeah you cant pick what counts (not HSC). its just you need to do atleast 36 UoC before eligble. I know people who do 3 a semester then try and transfer becasue less pressure

D94

HSC
N/A
Also would It be best if I choose most of the courses that correspond within my course and BE Mech?
If you are deadset on Mech, then just pick courses like as if you were doing Mech. So that would be: MATH1131/1141, PHYS1121/1131, COMP1911/1917, ENGG1000, MMAN1300, and 2 electives from the first year electives list.

But, if are still deciding, then you will still have to do Maths and Physics (for most streams), and then do 2 science courses based on a preferred major.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)