• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

To memorise or not to memorise (1 Viewer)

failwhale

HSC
i just memorise quotes, techniques etc and then adapt it to the question on the day.

creative will screw me but lololollolo

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
But so many people got band 6 who prepared one. Some people got state ranks because it.

why ??? haha
They must of been really lucky their memorised essay fitted in with the question o_O

And they would of had to adapt it somehow.

horsefreak

HSC
Ive learnt all my essays off by heart, and now im reading over more content and quotes.

english is the most time consuming subject !

Last edited:

jamesfirst

HSC
They must of been really lucky their memorised essay fitted in with the question o_O

And they would of had to adapt it somehow.
um... what dumb shit wouldn't adapt.?

The point is, memorise it then adapt it to the question.

You don't just get 'lucky'...

SayWut

HSC
Personally, I'm going to memorise all 5 essays and adapt to the question given to me on the day.

Simple as that

zhiying

HSC
Same, I memorised all 5 for my trials and came 7th miraculously, despite my teacher telling me if you memorised no essay will get above 12/15 or 16/20. *They all did*

As for the question obviously you have to adapt on the day, but in the trials I completely misinterpreted mod C question and my argument contradicted my thesis. Thankfully teacher did not realise and I got 17/20 :D

So go ahead and memorise, just make sure you don't get the mindset that once you memorised it then its done. BTW you should've started earlier lol

HSC
im memorising my essays and writing paragraph plans with quotes/techniques/effects

smartalec

HSC
even though i do advanced, i looked at last years 'distinctively visual' question and it is the most GENERIC question i had ever seen in my life. so why not?

E.G.
Compare the ways the distinctively visual is created in Run Lola Run and in ONE other
related text of your own choosing.

seriously. this BEGS a pre-prepared response.

Official

Bring it on
HSC
Same, I memorised all 5 for my trials and came 7th miraculously, despite my teacher telling me if you memorised no essay will get above 12/15 or 16/20. *They all did*

As for the question obviously you have to adapt on the day, but in the trials I completely misinterpreted mod C question and my argument contradicted my thesis. Thankfully teacher did not realise and I got 17/20 :D

So go ahead and memorise, just make sure you don't get the mindset that once you memorised it then its done. BTW you should've started earlier lol
i hate english

ffs

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Gosh guys, let's just all ignore years of advice from the Board of Studies. What would they know anyway? They don't have years of experience seeing what students do right and wrong. It's not like they actually mark the exam and we have to give them what they want....

taeyang

HSC
Gosh guys, let's just all ignore years of advice from the Board of Studies. What would they know anyway? They don't have years of experience seeing what students do right and wrong. It's not like they actually mark the exam and we have to give them what they want....
It's not about them at this point, it's about what is going to easiest for us for the exam. But don't take this the wrong way, I totally support your thought. ^.^

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
are talking about prepared responses versus memorise responses?

because everyone would of had to do some preparation in order to get a band 4 +

Cheesecake_a

HSC
even though i do advanced, i looked at last years 'distinctively visual' question and it is the most GENERIC question i had ever seen in my life. so why not?

E.G.
Compare the ways the distinctively visual is created in Run Lola Run and in ONE other
related text of your own choosing.

seriously. this BEGS a pre-prepared response.
+1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)