• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

To General or not General? (1 Viewer)

Clifford

HSC
Hey, im sure this is a common dilemma, but i was wondering whether i should drop from 2 unit maths to general maths. I have been thinking about this upon realising that if i get 70 in mathematics, its the same as getting 80 in general, which is very achievable. I hope to get a UAI about 87... (is this attainable? My school ranks pretty poorly)
Also, i pour so much of my time into maths homework and study, and i easily study for it the most in comparison to my other subjects, so perhaps it would be much more beneficial to my other subjects too? I do enjoy it though...
I dont need it for a future course either...

My subjects, marks and rankings are as follows:

English Adv - 97% - 1/80
English Ext 1 - 97% 1/12
Chemistry - 68% 17/26 (im dropping :))
Religion 1 - 89% 6/89
Ancient History -93% 1/52
Modern History 95% 2/14
MATHS - 69% 19/41

I'm also picking up ext 2 next year...

Thanks!

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Well, the fact that you're coming top 6 for every subject that matters (besides Maths) and 1st in 3 subjects..
It won't be hard for you to get 87+

As for the Maths problem.. Might as well keep 2u

Clifford

HSC
I notice that youre doing 4 unit maths, so i presume 2 unit must seem rather rudimentary, which i guess dulls the difficulty i have with it in your eyes. I mean, compared to my other subjects, its a bit of a dead weight.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
I've done the 2U HSC course this year - and it's not bad; however it does get more difficult in comparison to Year 11.

But I'd personally hang on to 2U - at least for a while - because you aren't ranked TOO badly. Or you could drop maths altogether - better option in my opinion.

Clifford

HSC
I dont think my maths ranking counts for much: we're a really weak mathematics grade.
I cant drop matha altogether, i'd only have 9 units!

youngminii

Banned
HSC
If he picks up EX2, he still only has 9.
(Religion is only 1 unit)

Well my suggestion is keep 2u but if you feel that you still can't do it, drop down to General.
Just give it one last shot =D

bubblesss

HSC
even with general maths it is possible to get a good UAI. last year the dux of our school got 99.95 and he did general maths. so if u really cant cope with it then drop but till then u might as well hang on as ur rankins aren't that bad.;)

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Keep it, my ranking is 46/68 probably dropped more, but thats cause I was lazy and ditn study, I understood the concepts just didnt practice enough, im not dropping it, so yeah keep it.

Clifford

HSC
hmm, i do work hard and study, and my ranking is still pretty bad...
I cant see it improving as the course gets harder

Clifford

HSC
hmm, i do work hard and study, and my ranking is still pretty bad...
I cant see it improving as the course gets harder

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bubblesss said:
even with general maths it is possible to get a good UAI. last year the dux of our school got 99.95 and he did general maths. so if u really cant cope with it then drop but till then u might as well hang on as ur rankins aren't that bad.;)
No, he couldn't have got it because the top UAI for General Mathematics student was like 99.80. http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/2007_table_A1_new.pdf

But it is still possible for anyone to get 100 UAI with most of subject combination. And why not just drop Mathematics altogether?

Clifford

HSC
Hmm, i suppose thats a possibility, but im not 100% if its offered at my school, and i would be doing alone if i were to (i guess thats a guaranteed 1st place medal).

I dont think i am good enough at history to do it either. I get good marks, but i dont feel very confident, or at least not confident enough to do 5 units of it.

Also, i like the numbers, a bit of a break, you know?

I think i would be capable of an 85% in general, which would not scale down.
Would that hinder me much if i was going for a UAI of 90.90? Is that possible? I dont really know much about it, because our school always does really badly (we came 431st last year)

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)