• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The Question Time thread (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Senate or House of Representatives, let this thread be one that allows us to discuss the antics taking place down in Canberra as the Government's ministers are hit with questions without notice (well, those questions from the Opposition, minor parties and independents, anyway).

---

House of Representatives, 5 Septmber 2005.

My net feed of the House of Reps broadcast is a bit choppy today.

Edit: I'm yet to see Abbott or Howard queried about the comments that Abbott, the federal Health Minister, made after Brogden's attempt at self-harm. As important as the Government's reaction to the Katrina disaster may be, it isn't as though it's the only issue that may harm the Government in some way at the current time.

Edit 2: Gillard finally gets a chance to ask the question! Yet, he merely confirms that he made the comment and apologised (again). Fair response given the scope of the question, but I hope that that's not the end of it.

Edit 3: Does he agree that his comment was disgusting? He has apologised, and he's not going to take issue with what his colleague had to say regarding the issue (Brandis in this instance).

Andrews is complaining about the unions yet again, too.

Edit 4: Beazley steps in with a question to Howard about the Abbott following on from comments in the wider public arena... Howard will not be asking Abbott for his resignation despite criticisms of Abbott's remarks and his position as the Minister for Health and Aging.

Edit 5: Beazley takes another stab, this time noting Howard's comments about Brogden's remarks and then asking whether he will be holding Abbott to the same standard. Abbott still has his (Howard's) support, though, and he will not be pressing Abbott to resign.

Edit 6: Beazley strikes again - Another question... Now he seeks to move a censure motion against Abbott (comments, abbott's position as health minister, and that he made the comments in an official capacity). Beazley's in fine form, to tell the truth (and for once I don't find it too annoying :p).

Edit 7: This particular issue is far from being a light piece of news, I know, but the thread itself is meant to provide an avenue for light commentary on the antics of our federal politicians.

Last edited:

j_hakka_v2

HSC
Generator said:
Senate or House of Representatives, let this thread be one that allows us to discuss the antics taking place down in Canberra as the Government's ministers are hit with questions without notice (well, those questions from the Opposition, minor parties and independents, anyway).

My net feed of the House of Reps broadcast is a bit choppy today.
Politicians work hard enough and they deserve prior notice before being questioned.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
As i've said before, filming parliamentary debates is evil - perhaps the greatest threat to the fabric of our democracy, above communist plots of water fluridation.
It glorifies senseless savaging, petty point scoring and is bias against the opposition.
Without it, (and other things) we could return to the fabled golden years when both sides were civil and formed great and principled friendships.

K

katie_tully

What ever happened to the days of settling disagreements with a hearty gunfight in the main street.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Howards responses to questions without notice are quite predictable.

Howard: "no" (Then returns to seat)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)