• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

the pill (1 Viewer)

girloflowers

HSC
black_kat_meow said:
Well, if the new pill didn't make you lose weight much, the female doctor is probably right, it is lifestyle choices. Bigger people just don't like hearing that.

And anyway, weight gain on the pill tends to be absosultely minimal, not 8 kilos. You probably just let yourself go.
i went from being stick thin to having an ass and boobs and even a little extra thigh and arm, i exercise every day and don't eat shitty foods.
i would have expected maybe to gain 3 kilos at most without the pill, but i gained a whole lots more.
I didn't "let myself go" at all, if anything I started exercising harder.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
black_kat_meow said:
Well, if the new pill didn't make you lose weight much, the female doctor is probably right, it is lifestyle choices. Bigger people just don't like hearing that.

And anyway, weight gain on the pill tends to be absosultely minimal, not 8 kilos. You probably just let yourself go.
No, I didn't 'let myself go'. I just didn't do anything different to what I was doing before I was on it? From what I've heard, everyone responds differently to the pill.
My lifestyle choices were no different before I took the pill to when I was on it.
And I'm not the only one whos gained weight on the pill. It's quite common. I've heard of people gaining a lot more than 8kgs.
But thanks for the comments anyway.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I went up a cup size but apart from that I don't think I've gained any weight. It's different for everyone.

How long does it take you guys for your period to come after you stop taking the active pills? Mine seems to go, last active pill, one placebo tablet, BAM period. I thought it was meant to be a couple of days lol. But eh what can you do.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Hollieee said:
No, I didn't 'let myself go'. I just didn't do anything different to what I was doing before I was on it? From what I've heard, everyone responds differently to the pill.
My lifestyle choices were no different before I took the pill to when I was on it.
And I'm not the only one whos gained weight on the pill. It's quite common. I've heard of people gaining a lot more than 8kgs.
But thanks for the comments anyway.
Okeydokes, sorry, I misunderstood what you meant. :)

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Regarding the whole pregnancy/pill thing that was mentioned a few pages back..

This is probably entirely wrong but I was always under the impression that even if you did stuff up with the pill and got pregnant..if you kept taking the pill, wouldn't your body freak out and you'd prolly just miscarry early on? Not that that sounds nice at all but yeh, I kinda thought if you didn't realise and didn't get the morning-after-pill your body would just fuck it up for you anyway.

Obviously you wouldn't rely on that (if it is actually the case) but mm..now I just really feel like I know nothing about the pill lol.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
I sort of always assumed that too lol.

And if I start the sugar pills on a saturday, I get my period on about a wednesday. They only last for like, 2-3 days. Is that what everyones do?
=)

girloflowers

HSC
Hollieee said:

And if I start the sugar pills on a saturday, I get my period on about a wednesday. They only last for like, 2-3 days. Is that what everyones do?
=)
yup thats what mine do!
are you skipping the sugar pills for schoolies?

xJennax

HSC
Hollieee said:

=)
Mine start on a Tuesday normally so about the same. Woah 2-3 days, lucky. Mine go for like 5 days.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
girloflowers said:
yup thats what mine do!
are you skipping the sugar pills for schoolies?
I'm not technically going on schoolies, I'm going to QLD with some friends and we'll be on the way home on the day I turn 18 =p
But yeah, I'm sure I will, if I'm even meant to get it at that time.
I used to skip it heaps, one time I didn't have a period for about 6 months. I kinda worried about the pregnancy thing but not much- I had no side effects, not even spotting.
But I've been getting regular periods lately =) Makes me feel better, cause every now and then I worry about the long term effects of the pill.

Oh and speaking of which, apparently the morning after pill is pretty dangerous and can lead to breast cancer? Mum was telling me today. Like not if you take it once, but if you sort of rely on it a little... then yeah. So be careful girlies!

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
em_516 said:
Regarding the whole pregnancy/pill thing that was mentioned a few pages back..

This is probably entirely wrong but I was always under the impression that even if you did stuff up with the pill and got pregnant..if you kept taking the pill, wouldn't your body freak out and you'd prolly just miscarry early on? Not that that sounds nice at all but yeh, I kinda thought if you didn't realise and didn't get the morning-after-pill your body would just fuck it up for you anyway.

Obviously you wouldn't rely on that (if it is actually the case) but mm..now I just really feel like I know nothing about the pill lol.

yeah i had always thought exactly the same thing, though if you were instantly reacting to taking it, like trhowing it up straight away, maybe it wouldnt take effect so much? i really dont know enough about this except that in the booklet it says that if you are showing signs of pregnancy not to keep taking it.

rozymisty

HSC
Well once ive stopped the active ones, i normally get a period within 3 days...depending on how long ive not had a period.

As for the pregnant thing, i think it would be more effective if you had the morning after tablet coz it has stff that stops fertilisatio, and i dont think the pill does that.

As for breast cancer, thats an interesting point. One patient i looked after, her mother was telling me how our generation have so many gynae problems and one of her research theories is that during the vietnam war, the government secretly sprayed chemicals over brisbane (and prob other states as well) and that afected teh other who passed on mutant genes ot he daughters.

Got me thinking, so many of us girls are on the pill not just for contraception,b ut also to control our periods and their pain. This girl was only 20 and already had surgery several times for endometrious.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Born Dancer said:
yeah i had always thought exactly the same thing, though if you were instantly reacting to taking it, like trhowing it up straight away, maybe it wouldnt take effect so much? i really dont know enough about this except that in the booklet it says that if you are showing signs of pregnancy not to keep taking it.
Well yeh, I guess that's so you can keep the baby though (funny considering most people would take it as contraception). I suppose they can't really advocate killing your growing child with the pill...:p

I don't think you would instantly react..I have no idea, but it wouldn't be the most effective way of ensuring you didn't stay pregnant haha.

cottonmouth

HSC
im on yasmin myself.. i went on it to get rid of some stubborn pimples! now they are all gone and totally pimple free (except one or two during those lovely days of the month). i didn't put on weight. my friend was on yasmin and it made her sick or some reason... don't know why so she just stopped taking it.

yasmin a low dose contraceptive pill.. and high doses of contraceptive pills apparently make you have an increased risk of breast cancer.. :S

*Baby-K*

HSC
Just wondering, probbly stupid question but it's the first time I got my period whilst on the sugar pills (I've only been on Yasmin for 2 months and didn't get it the first time) Anyway, I have 2 sugar pills left, when I start taking the active pills will my period stop straight away?
Thanks guys.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Not necessarily as it usually takes some time for the body to adjust to the pills being back in your system, but usually it will be very light by that stage and within a day or two of taking active pills it should stop. This is why most pill packets have two active pills in the RED section (i.e. the section that denotes the 'withdrawal' bleed).

Its not a stupid question.

*Baby-K*

HSC
melsc said:
Not necessarily as it usually takes some time for the body to adjust to the pills being back in your system, but usually it will be very light by that stage and within a day or two of taking active pills it should stop. This is why most pill packets have two active pills in the RED section (i.e. the section that denotes the 'withdrawal' bleed).

Its not a stupid question.
Thank you :uhhuh:

BlueGiraffe

HSC
Hey guys, I went to my doctor last week and got norimin and am now waiting for my period so I can start it.
I can't decide what time of day to take it becasue the doctor said night is preffered as if you have an nausea it will be while you sleep, but I feel it will be easier in the morning coz I'm not usually out then.
Also my first period while on the pill will be at schoolies, and I'm wondering whether skipping the sugar pills and going stright to the active ones is a good idea for the first one.
Also, my packet has days of the week on it, and I think starts on a sunday, if I get my period on a tuesday do you think it would be easier to miss 2 and go to tues or start from the beginning?
Anyway, I'm nervous/excited... any help on these (little but somehow difficult) decisions would be helpful.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
BlueGiraffe said:
Hey guys, I went to my doctor last week and got norimin and am now waiting for my period so I can start it.
I can't decide what time of day to take it becasue the doctor said night is preffered as if you have an nausea it will be while you sleep, but I feel it will be easier in the morning coz I'm not usually out then.
Also my first period while on the pill will be at schoolies, and I'm wondering whether skipping the sugar pills and going stright to the active ones is a good idea for the first one.
Also, my packet has days of the week on it, and I think starts on a sunday, if I get my period on a tuesday do you think it would be easier to miss 2 and go to tues or start from the beginning?
Anyway, I'm nervous/excited... any help on these (little but somehow difficult) decisions would be helpful.
I take my pill about 8:30am because I am almost always up then and I just keep it in my handbag if I am out so I can take it. I didn't get that much nausea after the first few days. Otherwise the best thing to do is to time it with somethign you generally at the same time - whether that be going to bed, waking up, breakfast, dinner etc that way you will remember.

Personally I think it might be a bit much to skip the first time but if you are concerned ask the doctor...its a tough decision but because of schoolies. You can always see how you feel when you start and then decide.

The best advice if you are unsure how to take it is to ask the doctor or consult the instructions in the packet (make sure to read this properly before you start AND check any new meds with your doctor as they can reduce effectiveness). I make sure I follow the days on the packet because it makes sure you can always check/remember if you have taken them.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Damn I just wrote you a really long reply but I got logged out :(

In summary:
- I agree with you, take it in the morning if you don't have full days. If you're going to be sick, imo it's better to be sick in the morning than when you're trying to sleep. On the other hand, if you're going to be waking at very different times every day, take it at night.
- Skip your period at schoolies. You may get spotting though, since your body is currently used to regular periods (I assume). Just take some panty liners and if you're a bit worried, stop taking the active pills for a week after schoolies is over.
- Not sure about the days of the week thing. It's better to be in sync with the days though, easy to remember where you're at. Maybe if your period finishes on a Thursday for example, you could just take the sugar pills on the Thursday and Friday and take the active on Saturday like normal and then follow on from there.

Hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)