• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The coaliton has control of the Senate (1 Viewer)

ohne

HSC
Riewe said:
Perhaps my view is that it is common knowledge that people of aborginality are more likely to be unemployed, very poor at school etc., where the only solution given is to give them money and that should do them good. But i admit here that both Liberal and Labor are both as guilty as each in this, as through successive governments, this paternalistic approach has continued without success. But it did stem from the Whitlam years where paternalism seemed to be a major force behind his policies. And i would like to see the Howard Government do something about aborginial welfare, but handouts, as is currently the case is not right. While there should be at least a little financial assistance to help them up, there should be better community support and programs to integrate them into modern society.

But i still hold Labor slightly more responsible for this mess than the Coalition in this matter.
The Labor solution is basically to throw loads of money at aborigines hoping it will solve the situation, this clearly has not worked as seen over the past 30 years.

The coalition solution is a combination of this with mutual obligation policies. It will be interesting to see if this improves aborigines quality of life.

Both sides are clearly to blame for the appauling state of indigenous affairs in this country although the solution remains to be seen.

ohne

HSC
Asquithian said:
Um why? Without the Labor party ATSI people would have little to no recognition of existence. There would be a good chance that Australia would be still seen as terra nullius and the MAbo decision would not have happened.

Think about it. Liberal governments have been in power more often than Labor governments and have over history had similar views to aboriginals. Whitlam simply attmepted to do something about the problem when previous governments had litterally waited for them to die out.

Fault lies on both sides. But it would be wrong to place the blame on either party directly.
It was the Liberal party who first gave recognition to aborigines and gave them the right to vote in the 1960s. There were Labor government's before this who did not grant these rights. The first aboriginal member of the Australian parliament was also a Liberal.

ohne

HSC
Asquithian said:
true...........the above comment about mabo is correct. Gareth Evans was the man behind Mabo...
a good reform in my opinion, provided that it is workable and doesn't result in all sides fighting for land

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)