• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The case study thread. (1 Viewer)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
What country (or countries) are you doing your case study on?
Poland - an example of the wonders of capitalism.

thoughts:
alright, I'm seriously considering not doing the case study.
Why? it may not even be tested in the HSC...
I don't think it's worth it to spend all that time researching to finally find that it isn't tested.
I mean, you have to spend a shit load of time on it if you want a good mark for it and it may not even be tested.
Did I mention it may not even be tested?

Everything else in economics links to each other and also it will be tested in either short aswers, multi choice or the extended response. The case study is the only one that may all go to waste.

Let's go back to year 11.... The opportunity cost of doing the case study leaves the opportunity of studying for areas that will surely be tested forgone...

I'm just hoping if we do get the case study question in the hsc that the other option will suit me.

EDIT: may do the case study actually, seeing as though there will be 3 tests that could possibly test it (half yearly, trial, external) so i would say there is a good chance I will be given the option of writing about it in the extended response section.

Last edited:

seano77

Walk On
HSC
Without Wings is right. You may as well not study anything cause it might not be tested.

cs01001

HSC
A really dangerous gamble, I got my half yearlies for eco coming up and I am reconsidering my options after being told the case study is usuall there. :(

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Without Wings said:
Any other section of the syllabus may not be tested as well...using that same thought why bother studying any of the syllabus as it may not even be tested...?

You're limiting your options and knowledge by choosing not to study a part of the syllabus.
and
seano77 said:
Without Wings is right. You may as well not study anything cause it might not be tested.
But all the other parts of the syllabus can be linked to a lot of other areas.
For example, there might not be a terms of trade question but in the CAD question you can explain how an improvement in TOT alleviates the CAD.

I guess you could throw in examples of your case study when answering other questions though...

Last edited:

BackCountrySnow

HSC
cs01001 said:
A really dangerous gamble, I got my half yearlies for eco coming up and I am reconsidering my options after being told the case study is usuall there. :(
usually the case study is in your school's half yearly? or half yearlies in general?

cs01001

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
usually the case study is in your school's half yearly? or half yearlies in general?
In past Catholic Trial papers I have been doing. But that being said, there were HEAPS of 2001-2003 paper that had the case study question, not sure about recent ones. But I guess you can get away with it with a generic case study essay, OR you're 120% you're gonna smash the other question. OR you risk fucking up a 20 mark question BADLY. lol

BackCountrySnow

HSC
cs01001 said:
In past Catholic Trial papers I have been doing. But that being said, there were HEAPS of 2001-2003 paper that had the case study question, not sure about recent ones. But I guess you can get away with it with a generic case study essay, OR you're 120% you're gonna smash the other question. OR you risk fucking up a 20 mark question BADLY. lol
Yeah I changed my mind. check the edit on the first post.
chances are it will be tested atleast once...

cal-

Banned
HSC
i'll sell you my 80/80 case study.

cal-

Banned
HSC
i'll totally do that after the hsc so people don't use it to compete with me.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Rebekkie said:
most textbooks have a case study in them. ie. riley has china. just copy that out and it'll give you basically all the info you need. Stats for china haven't changed much in the last year.
Yea. Even if you dont go through the effort of researching a case study, at least learn one from the book, so if you need it (like the other choice for your essay is complete shit) you have something.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
cal- said:
i'll totally do that after the hsc so people don't use it to compete with me.
haha jew.

Ill upload my unknown /20 essay.

To the OP, we spent 1 lesson in class on our CS, and had a full essay in the HY

WTF

blakegman

HSC
N/A
risole91 said:
haha jew.

Ill upload my unknown /20 essay.

To the OP, we spent 1 lesson in class on our CS, and had a full essay in the HY

WTF
i would imagine you were expected to teahc yourself it. It's not really had to do

As for OP, i was exactly like you all year, never bothered until 2 nights before the HSC exam because i was worried they would would pair the case study with a harder question or have 2 case study questions for the same part (eg Q25&26)

In the end i learnt about china and it was the best thing i ever did, as it really involved very little thought and you can just regurgitate most of your facts to fit the questions and syllabus. Saved me plenty of time then thinking about a good way to answer about effects on labour market.

It should only take a day or two's solid revision to be able to write up a 8 page answer on the case study if its a broad question.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
blakegman said:
i would imagine you were expected to teahc yourself it. It's not really had to do
yeah mate, thats pretty much what it was.

But the case study is pretty much just google copy, paste re write in own words, keep facts.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
this place is soo quiet these days....

so what country is everyone doing??
me-poland

callol

Banned
HSC
most people would have already done it way back in topic 1 dude

seano77

Walk On
HSC
Brazil for me. They have Brazil and Poland case studies in the Leading Edge text book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)