• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Text Types English (1 Viewer)

acevipa

HSC
Does anyone know any sites that provide the scaffolds/structure of various text types such as:
  • Narrative
  • Discussion
  • Argument
  • Explanation
  • Film/Book Review
  • Etc

themarvelboy

HSC
HERE IS THE BIGGEST HINT THAT MY ENGLISH TEACHER TOLD ME...

THERE IS A THEME TO THE EXAM

EACH TEXT TYPE OF THE MULTIPLE CHOICE COINCIDES WITH THE SHORT ANSWERS AND THE LAST SECTION.

WHEN YOU ARE STUCK FOR QUOTES OR IDEAS OR IF YOU'RE LUCKY, STRUCTURE, USE THE MULTIPLE CHOICE TEXTS FOR IDEAS.

For example, the theme may be about technology.
The multiple choice texts might be about mobile phones and other technological devices. In our practice paper, the short answers were based on the iPod, and the two text types was about technology as well.

Heres some other study notes about the eng exam.

For the first section is multiple choice, so you can study that online. A common choice for the multiple choice is to ask you what technique has been used in a certain line. They use the word 'tautology'. Tautology is repeating the same thing twice in different words such as he is sad and unhappy where, sad and unhappy are the same thing. The answer may not be tautology, its just to confuse you.

For the second section it is short answers which is stuff based on the article, you have to have a blue booklet or practice exams to practice it. You will need your techniques for this. And you might need to know what the action is in the ad or whatever. The action is something that would want you to get involved such as contact details for eg. a website. In the second section you will need to analyse a picture text. You need to study the camera angles and shots as to why they're used.

For the third section,it is a text chosen between a lot of text types. you need to practice writing them.

The first response is a reference response. You need to refer to something and answer questions or write a text type about it. Its either based on the short answer questions or a given text.

The first repsonse is out of 10
the second response is out of 20.

For the first response, 5 marks is grammar, punctuation, etc. One mark is for following structure, another for text type and theme being appropiate.

Second response is usually based on this.

Marking Criteria for second text type response

PARAGRAPHING
2 Paragraphing is used appropriately and consistently
Other marks:1,0

GRAMMAR
3 Writing has consitently control over the use of tense, subject-verb agreement, conjunctions and other aspects of grammar
Other marks:2,1

FORM
5 Well-developed structure using appropriate devices to achieve purpose
Other marks:4,3,2,1

AUDIENCE, PURPOSE
5 uses a range of appropriate vocabulary and language which goes beyond the everyday. Uses language in a controlled manner for effect. Demonstrates a sophisticated control of language

IDEAS
5 Organise, develop and sustain ideas effectively. A sustained, sophisticated and cleverly structured development of ideas

That means the lowest you can get is 4/20

funnythat

Clinging to Sanity
HSC
Thanks heaps themarvelboy. I've been having trouble with my English marks in the Trials and that is a real help to me to know what they're looking for. Cheers!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)