• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Testamur - do you get it upon graduation or until after one-year internship? (1 Viewer)

Cziffra

HSC
N/A
I've heard that some med schools do not confer the diploma until after you've completed one year of supervised work at a hospital. Is this true?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yeah...
well completed one year of supervised work at a hospital is normally integrated as part of the course..

e.g. Adelaide 6th yr.. no big Exams just hospital.. aka preintern/student intern

Cziffra

HSC
N/A
Oh I see...so it's not like you'll have to wait till you finish your 7th year for a 6-year program to get your diploma.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
nope.. hope tat helps...but which uni did u hear about tat?

cos the unis differ in their approach

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Diploma is a different level of academic achievement. You are talking about the testamur.

The testamur is conferred upon graduation from the course, and so once you finish medicine you will receive it (your "diploma"). However, you will not be a fully functional practitioner (ie registrable with the state medical board) until you have succesfully completed one year of work in a qualified teaching hospital - your Post-Graduate Year 1 (PGY1).

Cziffra

HSC
N/A
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
nope.. hope tat helps...but which uni did u hear about tat?

cos the unis differ in their approach
I can't remember where exactly I got that information, but I'm sure I've read it somewhere when I looked up info on various schools.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)