• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Tafe To Uni (1 Viewer)

jubs_

HSC
Heard of , know anyone or are you yourself a person who has tranferred from tafe to uni? Please share and give tips of where to look for info what you had to do etc... Thanks!

Nebuchadnezzar

Idealist
HSC
I'm attempting to transfer from TAFE to Uni, but I don't find out till next Wednesday.

Dj Fuzion

HSC
Alot of my friends have done certificate 4's and diplomas and got into UTS, MQ, SYD.

Also one of my friends had a really bad UAI and did marketing diploma at TAFE and got into that tourism course at UNSW.

hey nebu, what course did you do at TAFe and what was ur UAI (what course in UTS do you want to get into)

H?

buddy
HSC
trying to transfer from tafe to uni here - Adv Dip Accg to B Comm Accg @ MQ.

results on wednesday

= Jennifer =

HSC
Q: If I complete a TAFE NSW qualification, can I get automatic entry into a university course?
If you have completed a TAFE NSW qualification, it does not guarantee entry into a university course.

To be offered a place in a university course you must be eligible to be considered for a course and compete against other eligible applicants.

To be eligible to be considered for a course you must meet the admission requirements of the institution offering the course. Each university sets down its own admission requirements, so you are advised to contact the individual university and find out their admissions requirements. You are also required to meet any course entrance requirements. Further details can be obtained from individual universities if course pre-requisites or additional selection criteria is a requirement.

Further information can be found in the Universities Admissions Centre – UAC Guide.

Q: Am I guaranteed credit transfer for my TAFE NSW study if I am successful in gaining admission to university?
Universities negotiate credit transfer and articulation arrangements variously with other educational providers. Credit transfer and articulation arrangements specify an amount of available credit transfer, which may be negotiable upon meeting other criteria required by the university.

If you gain admission to university and are eligible for credit transfer for your previous learning, it is advisable to speak with the Faculty directly about procedures associated with granting credit transfer.

For example, in granting credit transfer, universities may take into consideration the currency of your TAFE NSW qualification in relation to the amount of time which has expired between the achievement of your qualification (or part qualification) and your application for credit into the destination qualification at university. The level of achievement in your TAFE NSW studies may also be taken into consideration.

Further information can be obtained at AVCC.

Q: How soon should I apply for credit transfer?

In both the university and TAFE NSW sectors, applications for credit transfer are generally processed at or soon after the time of enrolment. However, some universities have uploaded the relevant application form onto their website to be completed and submitted within a specified period.

For credit transfer in university courses it is advisable to check with the university about related provisions and dates for the submission of your application.

In TAFE NSW, students applying for credit transfer are required to complete an Enrolment Adjustment-Recognition-Pre-arranged RPL/National Recognition form which can be obtained from a Head Teacher/Teacher or from the college/campus administration office.

Q: Can I study at TAFE NSW and University at the same time?
Yes. It is possible to study at TAFE NSW and University concurrently, but it is important to check with the individual university to determine if any restrictions apply with regard to joint study at TAFE and university. Many universities may not grant credit transfer until completion of a qualification.

At the local level, however, some universities and TAFE NSW colleges have negotiated arrangements in specific areas to allow for concurrent enrolment in qualifications in each sector which may lead to the granting of concurrent credit transfer.

One such example occurs between the TAFE NSW Advanced Diploma in Hospitality Management (delivered at TAFE NSW – Illawarra Institute) and the Bachelor of Business Administration (Tourism & Hospitality) at the University of Wollongong (see TAFE NSW to University Arrangements).

Q: Can I achieve entry into high level UAI entrance courses at University through TAFE NSW?
The criteria for admission are determined by the individual universities. If there is a course of interest that requires a high level UAI for entry, you should contact the university and obtain as much information as possible on entrance criteria and past entry levels by students. In some cases, universities grade TAFE NSW students alongside all other applicants, and on completion of the ranking make offers to the number of students they want for that course.

Q: Will the course I studied by correspondence be considered for credit transfer?
Both TAFE NSW and universities will consider the achievement in a module, subject or a course or qualification as the basis for credit transfer, regardless of the mode of delivery. When negotiating credit transfer arrangements, the level and type of assessment conducted is critical in determining equivalence between the outcomes of the respective courses or qualifications.

For further information about your previous studies, check with the individual university or TAFE NSW Institute.

Q: Am I eligible for credit transfer for my previous TAFE NSW study if the university I am interested in attending is not listed (on the AVCC website) as participating in the national credit transfer scheme?
The guide to credit levels and the list of universities participating in the national credit transfer scheme, which are published on the AVCC website, are indicative. In fact, some universities have expanded these arrangements by establishing credit transfer arrangements at the local level for TAFE NSW courses. Where no formal credit transfer arrangement is in place, it is advisable to speak with the faculty staff directly to inquire if credit can be gained. It may be possible, for example, for your previous formal and informal learning and experiences to be recognised through Recognition of Prior Learning.

Q: Will the result from the course or subjects I studied at university be transferred to my TAFE NSW course once I gain credit transfer?
When you are granted credit transfer at TAFE NSW, the results from your previous study at another education or training provider are not transferred to your student record. In these situations, the words By Advanced Standing will appear on your TAFE NSW transcript to indicate that you have been granted advanced standing into your course and are exempt from having to undertake these TAFE NSW modules or units of competency.

Q: Will my AUSTUDY or other benefits be affected if I am granted credit transfer at TAFE NSW?
Students receiving income support from Centrelink are required to undertake a minimum number of hours of study per week. If you are successful in your application for credit transfer, your hours of study per week may be below a Centrelink threshold and you may become ineligible for Centrelink assistance. You will need to speak with your Benefit Provider or to a TAFE NSW counsellor for further advice about your entitlements.

Nebuchadnezzar

Idealist
HSC
Dj Fuzion said:
Alot of my friends have done certificate 4's and diplomas and got into UTS, MQ, SYD.

Also one of my friends had a really bad UAI and did marketing diploma at TAFE and got into that tourism course at UNSW.

hey nebu, what course did you do at TAFe and what was ur UAI (what course in UTS do you want to get into)
I did a diploma in Community Welfare Work at Ultimo. I want to do Social Work at UNSW

T

talene

A friend of mine got a UAI in the 50s, didn't receive any offers. The next year she did a writing course at TAFE, then got into UTS (public comm. with a UAI of 92). I felt a bit jipped haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)