• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

TAFE courses vs continuing education vs diplomas? (1 Viewer)

lala2

Banned
HSC
I have no idea what I'm trying to say here but maybe to start with is what is the difference between TAFE courses/continuing education/diplomas offered by universities? apart from the learning environment and what is on offer. So what's an average kind of cost a unit that runs for a standard session and how favourably are they looked upon?

I was thinking of doing some short courses just for interest but I will be paying money for it and if similar courses are offered then why not take the one that's looked more favourably upon? Also delivery mode and how easy will it be to get your money refunded should you need to withdraw before the course starts.

I had a look at the TAFE website and it seems that you're not bound to anything if you don't pay, so if you decide you can't do a course (and you haven't paid yet), all you have to do is hand in a withdrawal form. Also, usually at the end of short courses whether TAFE or continuing education (I was thinking Syd Uni) they do give a certificate right? lol it's not so much the certificate as it being proof of something you have accomplished yeah?

As you can tell I'm in a very weird state of mind but yeah if anyone would like to share their expeirences that'd be great too.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
You can do TAFE for free, if you're getting Youth Allowance. (I think)

And from what I know TAFE is much much much better than UWS. So you're not in a weird state of mind.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Yes you will get a certificate of some kind at the completion of the course.

In regards to payment and it may differ from campus to campus however I have a friend who recently apply for a Tafe course (Cert IV) they had to pay one enrolement otherswise they wouldn't be allowed to start the course. However I know from just last year that at the same campus you had a few weeks until term 3-6 I think before you had to pay for that semester. So it could differ between campuses. Also at the same campus, payments were not refundable.

Just something for you to consider. Good luck. :)

DTFM

HSC
chicky_pie said:
You can do TAFE for free, if you're getting Youth Allowance. (I think)

And from what I know TAFE is much much much better than UWS. So you're not in a weird state of mind.
I think they changed it and now it costs $50 if you are getting a Centrelink allowance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)