• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Syllabus Dot point H/Ware? (1 Viewer)

asdf

HSC
"Printer Operation
- Control characters for features including page throw, font change, line spacing"

Do we have to know the control characters of by heart or are we given them? :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
I think any question they ask here will be a practical application of data streams.
Basically, not every printer uses the same control characters, so they 'should' give a list of functions, and then the question will say: 'Construct data stream to do this' or 'What does this data stream do'.
However:

Page throw:
I think the interpretation here is simply for a 'new page' code. Some old printers used to do this with Chr$(12)
Then you have Chr$(13) which is your CrLf (Carraige Return - back to left side of page, Line Feed - New Line)
This can be done separate with Chr$(10) [Linefeed only] and Chr$(26) [CR only]
Note that Chr$(10) + Chr$(26) is the same thing as Chr$(13)
I've seen a newer-older printer code whihc is simply PA(x) where x is a number.

Font change:
Your old (mega old) printer would have had a number of built in fonts, which you had to use codes to change to. Dont ask me what any where, because I have no idea. Again it depends on the printer.
I think they just mean font change, because formatting doesnt 'really' come in here...

Line Spacing:
I've seen an old code simply LnS(x) which does this... (Where x is a number)

I'm sure you could make up codes if you had to, say they were from your old XNT-10 printer (also make up printer name & model) and then no marker will have any idea.

SamD

HSC
N/A
asdf:
As the syllabus directly mentions this stuff then you'd be wise to study a specific example that relates directly to a printer. (My text has one as part of Set 10F, questions 13 to 15). As Fosweb says, many printers are different so if specific codes are needed to answer the question then you'll be given them. However you may be given a more open ended question where you could use specifics from your studied example to improve your answer.

HTH
Sam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)