• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Survey: Is is a good idea to do 12 Units in Year 12? (1 Viewer)

Is it a good idea to do more than 10 Units in the HSC?

• Total voters

imoO

HSC
Hi there everybody, I'm currently in Year 11, and I know its a long shot away, but is it a good idea to carry 12 Units into the HSC?

Currently I am doing:

3-U Maths
Eng Adv.
Chem
Phys
Eco
S.L.R

I am thinking next year:
4-U Maths
Eng Adv.
Phys
Chem
Eco

Mainly because I don't know what to drop. I know many of you will say Economics, but I want to be a stockbroker when I grow up, but it that fails, I have science to fall back on. What do you all think?? Poll is there, comments are welcome as well.

Thanks in advanced,

ivan

ippie

HSC
WHY does everyone ask this fucking question? "omg should i do 12 units? omg maybe 10 is better"

Just DO 12 units in yr 12, and if you think you can't handle it, then drop.

And it all depends on you. Do you think you can handle it? Do you WANT to handle it? Are you doing well in those subjects? I can't answer these queston for you and neither can anybody else.

It's not that hard. It's not like it's the end of the world either.

And, WHY would you jump to the conclusion that people will tell you to drop eco?

imoO

HSC
I'm just asking a question, jeez. I'm sorry if other people like me are concerned of our future..and I jumped to the conclusion that people will tell me to drop Eco because it is not the typical subject to take into year 12 in comparison to Chem or Physics. I said the words "IN COMPARISON", no need to flame.

Besides last post, are there any other perspectives? I've heard physics is hard in Year 12, and gets very demanding...

m&ss2008

HSC
ippie said:
WHY does everyone ask this fucking question? "omg should i do 12 units? omg maybe 10 is better"

And it all depends on you. Do you think you can handle it? Do you WANT to handle it? Are you doing well in those subjects? I can't answer these queston for you and neither can anybody else.

And, WHY would you jump to the conclusion that people will tell you to drop eco?
take the pole out of ass fuckwit. if you think its a stupid thread then dont reply.

in answer to your question i personally do 10 units and it makes my life easier. i would recommend, however, keeping 11 or 12 units just to start with in case 4unit maths isnt your thing, etc, etc. with doing only 10 units i get a good amount of free periods where i try and get as much work done as i can, so thats an advantage too.

there's not one right answer, so you'll have to play it by ear when you go into yr12.
i think you should keep eco though. if its something you want to do one day and you enjoy it keep going! (plus you'll probably do fairly well if you're interested) you should have a subject that you look forward to going to, so you enjoy each day a bit more.

hope this helps, pm me if there's anything else you're wondering:wave:

m&ss2008

HSC
darkwolfzx said:
my school had a policy with 4 u that u had to keep 12 units for the first term. If you found you were doing fine then you were allowed to drop 2 units. Basically a safeguard if 4u is not for you
yeh thats kinda like my school. when we requested to drop units to go down to 10 our deputy principal and maths teacher talked about it and decided whether it would be safe or not

Evan11

HSC
dude physics and chemistry combined with 4 unit maths is fucking intense. if u were doing just 3 unit maths, and either 1 unit religion or eng ext 1 of somethin then i would say yes, 12 units is better. but ur taking on like 5 mammoth subjects and 4 unit is gonna take so much time and energy. u dont need eco if u get into a business degree at uni to become a stock broker. what im doing right now in first year micro is basically the same shit as my bro in year 11. although if u really like economics then keep doing it. but its not a prerequisite if tahts what u were worried about. ide just be careful taking on such a massive 12 units, coz they are all really solid subjects.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Evan11 said:
dude physics and chemistry combined with 4 unit maths is fucking intense. if u were doing just 3 unit maths, and either 1 unit religion or eng ext 1 of somethin then i would say yes, 12 units is better. but ur taking on like 5 mammoth subjects and 4 unit is gonna take so much time and energy. u dont need eco if u get into a business degree at uni to become a stock broker. what im doing right now in first year micro is basically the same shit as my bro in year 11. although if u really like economics then keep doing it. but its not a prerequisite if tahts what u were worried about. ide just be careful taking on such a massive 12 units, coz they are all really solid subjects.
I agree with this dude. You will be struggling with huge amount of work you get from school. However, if you work hard and have potential to do so, I highly recommend whatever you are going to do in regards to the number of units you want to undertake. I am currently doing 13 units and will be continuing with that 13 units since I love all my subjects and tend to perform reasonably well. On top of that, I put in large amount of effort in to maintain those results.

PM me if you have any question in regards to the number of units & maths extension 2. I think I can help you in that regard.

Felix Jones

HSC
trsut me, there isn't long way to go. time goes by so quick ... so starts studying!!!
but i reckon 12 units would be fine, im currently doing 13 units, but if i were doing 12 i wouldn't have a problem.
the think with 12 unit is that u have extra 2 units to fall back on. sometimes, even with your best subject u might screw up on the day of the exam due to to some extrenal factor beyond your control.....so 12 is okay.

Felix Jones

HSC
lyounamu said:
I agree with this dude. You will be struggling with huge amount of work you get from school. However, if you work hard and have potential to do so, I highly recommend whatever you are going to do in regards to the number of units you want to undertake. I am currently doing 13 units and will be continuing with that 13 units since I love all my subjects and tend to perform reasonably well. On top of that, I put in large amount of effort in to maintain those results.

PM me if you have any question in regards to the number of units & maths extension 2. I think I can help you in that regard.
not really, im doing extension maths, and all three sciences and adv eglish. i dont find it hard at all, and my ranking is pretty good as well.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Evan11 said:
Yeah. 4 unit maths does take up a lot of time and effort, but that said, i'm in 12 units and wouldnt drop any of them. If you are able to handle all 12, then go for it, because then you have a back-up subject. Also, a lot of people drop subjects thinking they will use the time for other subjects, but dont do any more work for their 10 units than they would have done if they had 12 units.

And like you, I want to something commerce related in uni. Even though economics is not a prerequisite, if you are interested in it keep doing. Personally, it is my favourite subject, because it relates to the real world and actually provides useful knowledge. I mean, seriously, when in life will I need to know about the production of esters?

I say stick with 12, but if the workload becomes unbearable then drop one subject. If you've got good time management, I dont see what your problem would be.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Also, even if you want science to fall back on, you can drop physics. Chemistry is assumed knowledge for many sciences, and even though some courses say chemistry and/or physics, if youve done chemistry, then it doesnt matter that you havent done phyisics.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Just do 4U math and Physics and Chemistry and Economics. Thats what i'll be doing, its a great subject combination.

4U math will take up time, but it's not as if economics is anything at all. Economics is an easy subject you can do well in just by reading your text book for like 2 hr before the test, whereas 4U math will need like 20hrs before each test. So far, chemistry looks to be very easy too, but that could just be at my school.

imoO

HSC
Your forgetting the compulsory English...so yeah...I think I will do 12 next year. Have to lift my efforts though, not doing much at the moment.

ippie

HSC
m&ss2008 said:
take the pole out of ass fuckwit. if you think its a stupid thread then dont reply.
*rolls eyes*

How many times has this thread similar to this been posted? Poster only has to do a search to find out what others think - not that it matters

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
foram said:
Just do 4U math and Physics and Chemistry and Economics. Thats what i'll be doing, its a great subject combination.
Yea... I'm not exactly sure how you would go about dropping english

foram said:
4U math will take up time, but it's not as if economics is anything at all. Economics is an easy subject you can do well in just by reading your text book for like 2 hr before the test, whereas 4U math will need like 20hrs before each test. So far, chemistry looks to be very easy too, but that could just be at my school.
Also, to get a band 6 in economics you would have to do more than studing 2 hours before the test. Youre in year 11 right? I found year 11 economics shit easy. Year 12 economics is not necessarily harder, but each topic is a lot longer than any of the year 11 topics, and to get a band six you have to know current statistics, examples, policies and crap like that. There is no way you could do that in 2 hours, unless you wanted to get a band 4 or 5 max.

I actually find that I spend more time on economics than my sciences, but if you put in the work you are bound to get a good mark, because if you look at past economics papers it is pretty much the same questions over and over written in different ways. You just have to mould your answer to relate to the current economic situation.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
adv,english is comulsary, so i didn't bother mentioning it. Also, the statistics and facts and stuff, just read your textbook and listen in class. the 50min or 1hr you have in class, is all the studying you need for economics, it's dead easy, and yr 12 doesn't look all too much harder. Infact, the size of the yr11 and 12 textbooks for excell are identical, and the cambridge books i have are of a similar size. So economics won't be one of your major time consumers when you study.

HSC
ippie said:

QFMFT. I think your first line made people miss the value of your words.

Evan11

HSC
midifile said:
Also, even if you want science to fall back on, you can drop physics. Chemistry is assumed knowledge for many sciences, and even though some courses say chemistry and/or physics, if youve done chemistry, then it doesnt matter that you havent done phyisics.
except for engineering, this year physics was a prereq im pretty sure. However u guys hav put things into a new light for me, and yeah your right he should probably keep the 12 units.

karnage

HSC
Answer to your question on whether its a good idea to do 12U, yeah i reckon it is. Just nice to know that if you stuff up on one subject then its all cool. I think my school advises against doing 10 for this reason (pretty sure most if not all students at my school do 11 or 12 if they are goin for the uai)

Also noticed im doing the same subjects as you!!
Might think of it as an odd mix, but like my sciences, maths and eco :), I like eco and physics because its something i can relate to.

Regarding the physics getting intense it yr 12. In my opinion, i find grasping the concepts i learn and trying to combine my understanding into coherent sentences the tough thing. But im doing fine (well at least i think i am :p)

I reckon you should try it out first and see what its like. If its too much then perhaps it may be a good idea to drop a subject.

Last edited:

Peripheral

HSC
karnage said:
Might think of it as an odd mix, but like my sciences, maths and eco :), I like eco and physics because its something i can relate to.
Odd? At my school chem/phys/eco (with at least 3u maths) is probably the most common subject combination there is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)