• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

SUBJECT SELECTIONS AND SCALING!!!! (1 Viewer)

PINKY538

HSC
Hello everyone, the subjects i have chosen for the 2012 Preliminaries are :

- English Standard
- Mathematics 2 unit
- Physics
- Engineering studies
- PDHPE
- Biology

I didn't have a choice on standard, i would've done advanced if i could. I still might be able to in the first 3 months. Well i was just wondering how well do these subjects scale? I enjoy all of them that's why i picked it (except for standard).

And i was thinking of changing PDHPE for Economics or Bio for Economics.
Say i got 85/90 for each exam, what would it scale to?

michaeljennings

HSC
physics and maths will scale relatively well, the rest arent that great but you shouldnt worry about scaling too much just do your best. Its much easier to study for subjects you enjoy rather than the ones that you only do because they scale well

and when you say you get 85-90 in each each what would it scale to, i think you mean what would it align to. All of which would align to a band 6. Board of Studies aligns your raw marks and then UAC scales your marks to calculate your ATAR.

Last edited:

theind1996

HSC
N/A
physics and maths will scale relatively well, the rest arent that great but you shouldnt worry about scaling too much just do your best. Its much easier to study for subjects you enjoy rather than the ones that you only do because they scale well

and when you say you get 85-90 in each each what would it scale to, i think you mean what would it align to. All of which would align to a band 6. Board of Studies aligns your raw marks and then UAC scales your marks to calculate your ATAR.
Even though he hasn't chosen it YET, doesn't Eco. scale real good?

Eg155

HSC
...what do you want ti do, that would make it easier to help :)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Even though he hasn't chosen it YET, doesn't Eco. scale real good?
It does.

Anyway OP, try not to get caught up with scaling in the first place. I know students often get caught up by how a subject scales and some choose to adjust their performance "accordingly".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)