• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

studying + music (2 Viewers)

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Um, well, yeah. you see, I tested it on like five people? it was a joke assignment. I had the other genres be Gilbert and Sullivan, Dimmur Borgir, etc etc.

And yeah, Sigur Ros is fucking ace. I mean, they're Icelandic, what's not to love? but yeah, they're great, though maybe an aquired taste? Last.fm says similar artists to them are Album Leaf, Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai and Air, so if you like any of them, give these guys a go.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Hm not really. I don't believe that it's very effective. Although sometimes I tend to work well in like really busy food courts eg. Livo westfields. There are so many conversations going on that it's so hard to concentrate on one thing.

I sometimes (rarely now) have classical music playing when I go to bed, but I really can't be bothered nowadays.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
sle3pe3bumz said:
Although sometimes I tend to work well in like really busy food courts eg. Livo westfields.
Working at Liverpool Westfields? :confused:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
hardstyle. makes me work better too. lol.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Kujah said:
Working at Liverpool Westfields? :confused:
by working i mean on maths Q's and all .. lol ? I don't actually work there .. but yeahh .. lol I'm a little confused now .. ^^"

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Oh cool. Never tried doing math exercises at a food court. Must be really disruptive :)

nelses

HSC
I think you work less efficiently and have to spend more time on the work, but hey at least it's more enjoyable.

Legham

HSC
I work faster if the work's easier when i listen to music. But if the work needs some thinking its a bit distracting, like when im doing software design work..

I only listen to Death Metal and Black Metal etc, which works fine for me. It's got a fast tempo usually making me move fast, and i don't know the words to most of the songs. I find that with the songs that i know the words to i normally have to stop working and think along with the song, so the less understandable words, the better.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Legham said:
I work faster if the work's easier when i listen to music. But if the work needs some thinking its a bit distracting, like when im doing software design work..

I only listen to Death Metal and Black Metal etc, which works fine for me. It's got a fast tempo usually making me move fast, and i don't know the words to most of the songs. I find that with the songs that i know the words to i normally have to stop working and think along with the song, so the less understandable words, the better.
hm do you ever get to a point where you kinda figure out what the words are or even make up words which you think may even go with the song ? I kinda do that when I constantly listen to songs because I have to know the words .. ahah ..

Legham

HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
hm do you ever get to a point where you kinda figure out what the words are or even make up words which you think may even go with the song ? I kinda do that when I constantly listen to songs because I have to know the words .. ahah ..
Yeah :p I just understand the occasional random word and eventually lyrics piece themselves together.. But more often i just go read the lyrics on some website, and then the songs are suddenly understandable.

Although, this doesn't work for a lot of my music cause theres heaps of swedish and german etc songs :)

shayla

HSC
I cant listen to music while i study or i will get sidetracked which isnt a good thing.

lexonfire

HSC
i need music to keep me going... i've tried forcing myself to study by heading over to the library... and my ipod died ages ago so i get tired and de-motivated easily each time. i'd definitely study for longer if i had music with me [at the library at least... i'm way too lenient on myself at home].

and yeah classical music is great if you like it yourself. i can listen to anything without being distracted, even the doof doof music, usually though its something quieter. hurray the shins, anyone? bright eyes, sufjan stevens, mum, explosions in the sky? they're not very disruptive.

Justion

HSC
Listening to Steve Reich music is possibly one of the best things that's ever happened to my study. It makes me really think like Baroque does. Reich composes music which can be categorised as 'classical trance'. Its essentially minimalism, with a fair amount of electronica. Go search him up; he's got a good MySpace page o_O

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I listen to music, whenever I'm doing homework or something. But when I'm studying anything but Maths, I can't.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
I heard that music without lyrics is supposed to make you more productive however for me.
It's just the music that I enjoy and that works well enough.

HSC
I can usually study and absorb a lot more when im listening to classical rock music because it's calming and sooth's your body. well, it does for me ;_;. However, if i were to put my metal music no i can not study :p

Sarah182 said:
I heard that music without lyrics is supposed to make you more productive however for me.
It's just the music that I enjoy and that works well enough.
yeah it supposibly is, it just depends on the person i guess. instrumental songs work for me, i have nothing to sing a long with so therefore have no choice but to focus xD

Last edited by a moderator:

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
simonloo said:
Apparently trance, apart from classical is the best music to listen to while doing work.
Yeah, trance music, even with vocals, works really well with me.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Just put Pachelbel's Canon D on repeat :D

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Dance music whike studying for me. It calms me down when i'm doing English or Economics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)