• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

studying + music (1 Viewer)

aiz

HSC
N/A
i don't understand how people can study while listening to music..
what kind of music do you listen to? + do you think it's more effective? why?

cccclaire

HSC
I can listen to music when I study.
um, mostly just normalish rock music?

sthcross.dude

HSC
I can study but i think im heaps less productive when i listen to music. when a song i love comes on it totally breaks my concentration. classical is good 4 studying.

sthcross.dude

HSC
Im not much of a classic afficondo. i have a couple of hundred classical songs on my itunes but they all have names like Italian Concerto #5 and stuff. i just let them play randomly. mostly got them from my dads cd's.

Also do u know an aria called la donna e mobile, love that song.

cfair

Banned
HSC
I like to listen to soft rock when doing assignments etc., actually come to think of it I listen to a whole heap of genres besides death metal and screamo while doing work... same as if I wasn't doing work really.

Telekinetik

ça m'a fait du bien
HSC
I only listen to music while studying/reading when I'm surrounded by annoying or loud people -- really works well at drowning them out.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Apparently trance, apart from classical is the best music to listen to while doing work.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
I always listen to music when I study. Basically whenever I do anything. happier mood = maximum studying efficiency!

What music do I listen to? Whatever is on my playlist, which consists of the best fucking music ever produced (or so they say) At the moment I'm loving The Dandy Warhols and Sigur Ros.

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I study with the TV and music on at the same time :eek: Really bad habit :(

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
I had a friend who would play CS while doing maths excercises. Everytime he died he'd do one question. He was really good- that was the problem.

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
My iTunes is always open and playing while I do homework, esp. Maths :eek:. But if I need to memorise something or really running short on time, then I tend to turn the music off.

Never really listened to classical while studying before, I really should try it someday though. My playlist mostly consists of indie/rock/alternative genres. :)

~untitled~

HSC
baroque music is the best type to listen to whilst studying, it's supposed to increase your concentration... Me personally, i dont listen to music while i study, because i end up getting caught up in the music and loose focus.

cfair

Banned
HSC
i end up dancing 3 minutes later if i listen to music while studying
do you only listen to club/dance music? i find it hard to get jigggggggggggy with it to normal music.

A Stone Monkey said:
I am not musical aficionada, so could you elaborate on
why Baroque music is the best type to listen to whilst studying (and why it increases your concentration), ~untitled~?
It would be greatly appreciated of you.

Hi.:)
Feel free to also elaborate on what Baroque music is. :eek:

~untitled~

HSC
cfair said:
Feel free to also elaborate on what Baroque music is. :eek:
Baroque music categorises a period of music, just as classical and heavy metal etc does. So composers like JS Bach, Pachabel, Vivaldi and Handel etc.

A Stone Monkey said:
I am not musical aficionada, so could you elaborate on why Baroque music is the best type to listen to whilst studying (and why it increases your concentration), ~untitled~?
It would be greatly appreciated of you.
Baroque music is around 50 - 80 beats per minute, music with this beat count puts puts you an atmosphere that induces the alpha brain wave state ( the one where the brain in most focused, and highly concentrated). So baroque is really good for study and memorising and stuff, well anything that requires good concentration.

cfair

Banned
HSC
ah okay, that's interesting... i dropped music after year 7 because my teacher was a maniac who we thought had a stroke every lesson. thanks

Jachie

HSC
brogan77 said:
I'm in love with you.
yeah I know, sorry bout that :(

anyway, that myth that classical music helps you study better is just a fucking myth. I did a science experiment on in in Year 9 or 10 or something, and it's actually 80s electronica. And I got 24/25 for that assignment too. so there you go.

~untitled~

HSC
Jachie said:
anyway, that myth that classical music helps you study better is just a fucking myth. I did a science experiment on in in Year 9 or 10 or something, and it's actually 80s electronica. And I got 24/25 for that assignment too. so there you go.
So sorry my dear, i should be more careful who i believe next time, i guess uni lecturers know nothing.... And also, i am well aware classical music does not increase concentration, it would be stupid to listen to classical whilst studying... I said BAROQUE, which is a totally different genre to classical.

Will you please tutor me for uni next year, god knows im going to need it if im going to be taught from dumb arse, know nothing lecturers.... :sarcasm:

Jachie

HSC
~untitled~ said:
So sorry my dear, i should be more careful who i believe next time, i guess uni lecturers know nothing.... And also, i am well aware classical music does not increase concentration, it would be stupid to listen to classical whilst studying... I said BAROQUE, which is a totally different genre to classical.

Will you please tutor me for uni next year, god knows im going to need it if im going to be taught from dumb arse, know nothing lecturers.... :sarcasm:
Oh dear girl, I'm all too happy to share my pearls of wisdom. I do charge quite a bit though, and demand sexual favors at the end of every session. You know, cause I'm brilliant and all?

btw, never directed my post to you, so your rambling about baroque means shit all to me. :wave:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)