• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

studying for a second degree (not masters) (1 Viewer)

Lydia_88

HSC
Hi everyone,

i am in my final year and am thinking of the options after wards. I also am curious to know, is it possible to study a second BACHELORS degree (i.e not masters or anything like that..)..

my major is occupational health and safety (i really like this major)...i am thinking of graduate position for safety science as a first option...but i also have a real passion for human resources

so is it possible to study a second bachelors degree or not? and will i need sufficient HECS loan if i want to study the bachelors degree?

witide

HSC
I know someone who's done that, so I assume it's possible. I suppose it would be just like doing a combined degree, but without the combined-ness.

John555

HSC
One of my lecturers has a Bachelor of Commerce from both ECU and Curtin University, so it is possible.

Lydia_88

HSC
I know someone who's done that, so I assume it's possible. I suppose it would be just like doing a combined degree, but without the combined-ness.
oh ok thats for that!.. yea i didnt really want to do all post-graduate kind of stuff.. something like a bachelor of commerce (in human resources with either industrial relations or management)... and i checked my student entitlement learning, and that i actually might have enough leftover.....

id probably might go back to that second degree later after a year or two of working....

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
i'm pondering doing likewise, because the Masters I want to do is in a completely different field so I don't have the prerequisite subjects and experience to get in. So i'm hoping to do the equivalent degree as undergrad.
I hadn't pondered the HECS issue though, might have to check on that....

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It is definitely possible. My lecturer got her a B Science, and then went on to do a B Creative Arts. She's now a doctor in Creative Arts.

Lydia_88

HSC
looks like there are positive responses about this. i think i shall do another undergraduate degree, probably once i start working....

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
looks like there are positive responses about this. i think i shall do another undergraduate degree, probably once i start working....
yup, thats what I'm going to do. although i've been working for a year now, and I certainly could not have coped with studying and working in the first 6 months or so of my job, its only now that i'm starting to get bored that i'm looking into further study.

I wouldn't study another bachelors degree in a similar field though, if its in a similar field I'd do a masters because thats a higher level degree, therefore higher level pay / employment prospects.

But then again i could do a 1 year tafe course and earn $100k working for the state govt... man i'm in the wrong profession.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
What's the point in doing the same degree twice?
Many people do the same course twice. Second time around you experience a different ciriculum, can achieve higher marks, and the uni may be more reputable than the first time around.

It happens a lot in Creative Arts, where people do acting courses, then try and make it into a better institutions.

chefman21

HSC
N/A
yup, thats what I'm going to do. although i've been working for a year now, and I certainly could not have coped with studying and working in the first 6 months or so of my job, its only now that i'm starting to get bored that i'm looking into further study.

I wouldn't study another bachelors degree in a similar field though, if its in a similar field I'd do a masters because thats a higher level degree, therefore higher level pay / employment prospects.

But then again i could do a 1 year tafe course and earn $100k working for the state govt... man i'm in the wrong profession.
Yep. A second degree in the same course would seem like a waste of time & money to me. If you wanted to do a second degree, I'd look at something that will supplement or complement your degree. Otherwise postgrad all the way.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
What course..?
Tafe Dip Management - ads for operations management positions and similar positions in other organisations with NSW state govt with 100k + salaries. You have to have experience too, but as a base level qualification, its " diploma in management or similar".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)