• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Student Loans (1 Viewer)

Pommy babe

Perfect Member
HSC
Can anyone tell me what loans are available to students out in Oz? I'm going to UQ, and i dont know what finances will be available to me.. I know here in the U.K. i can get an interest free loan of about A$7000 a year plus an interest free overdraft of A$5500 and i didn;t know if you have similar options in Aus.

Thanks
Pommy Babe

kenny.

HSC
hey pommy babe (nice name but...got a real name? lol =p) umm there's a thing call FEE-HELP which I think is similar to the UK one you mentioned but with a 20% fee.

But im not sure if its available for overseas students...im assuming you'll be an overseas student..

**EDIT** actually after looking at this site http://www.studyinaustralia.gov.au/Sia/en/Home.htm
i dont think we offer international students any loans etc =(

Last edited:

Pommy babe

Perfect Member
HSC
I'm a domestic student, because I have a permanent residency visa. Thanks for your help, I looked into the Fee-help,but with a 20% fee,i'm better off getting my money from the U.k. and exchanging it for A$ as it's interest free over here.

and yeah.. my names carly lol

kenny.

HSC
hey carly lol
ummm.. there is a 20% loan fee for FEE-HELP. ie. borrow $100 and repay $120
but i guess it'll be cheaper for you to exchange money from the UK anyway

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Pommy babe said:
I'm a domestic student, because I have a permanent residency visa. Thanks for your help, I looked into the Fee-help,but with a 20% fee,i'm better off getting my money from the U.k. and exchanging it for A$ as it's interest free over here.

and yeah.. my names carly lol
As a permanent resident you can enrol as a CSP student, but can't take advantage of HECS/FEE-HELP, and you don't get the 20% discount when you pay upfront.

So you need to fork out the dosh or take out a bank loan. Or get it from the UK like you said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)