• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

State ranking for Biology (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
I apologise if this question has been asked tediously and repetitively, but I used the search button and couldn't seem to find anything :).

With past trends from the board of studies, what is the APPROXIMATE cut off mark/rank for a Biology state ranking (I know it varies...but approximately?) Are your external results far more important than your internal results for a state ranking?

Thanks.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nottellingu said:
i think its based on just ur externals unless there is a tie in which case internal results will be taken into consideration.

The top mark in biology is quiet low compared to some other subjects. I would guess that it would be around the 96-98 region.

I remember ssglain last year got 94 and got a state ranking of about 10th :jedi:

If i remember correctly biology is capped at 98 ?
nope. ssglain got 96 and she came 20th.

And Biology is not capped.

nottellingu

HSC
than maybe its safe to say that top mark in the state would be 98-99 ?

nottellingu

HSC
Good luck dude...hope you get that.
Oh yea...be ready for half yearlies by the end of these holidays...yep 2 modules should be done and consolidated.:pirate:

ssglain

HSC
LOL. Yeah. 96 = 20th in 2007. 96 external and 96 internal. A bit embarrassing, really. Quit waving that light saber at me!

As far as I know from something like 10-20th were all on 96. Karen Lee who came 1st got 99.

Last year was just weird - highest mark in chem and phys was 98 and bio was 99.

Congrats to nottellingu! That's an awesome mark.

Last edited:

appletooth

HSC
nottellingu said:
UPDATE :

My internal mark : 99 My external : 97
Final moderated HSC : 98

NO STATE RANKING !!!

I think 99 might have been the cut this year :jedi:

EDIT: I think state ranks are only based on externals, internals are then considered if there is a tie !
... Ok this is weird. I know someone who's external was 97, internal was presumably 96 and final HSC mark was 97. They got a state ranking. I wonder why?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
appletooth said:
... Ok this is weird. I know someone who's external was 97, internal was presumably 96 and final HSC mark was 97. They got a state ranking. I wonder why?
Yeah, it's a bit weird. The top mark in the state for Bio was 99...

dp624

HSC
OK guys, state ranking is an OVERALL mark (ext + int). not the externals.
Also some 98s may have gotten it, and some might not have. They use decimals to 1 decimal place.

I know for one that in chem, top mark is usually 98 and SOME 96s make state ranks. This year, top mark 100!!!! and you needed a 98 to state rank at all... so yea.

Last edited:

Lukybear

HSC
But woudl it matter if you came first internal ranking with mark of 65 and an 100 external??

nottellingu

HSC
dp624 said:
OK guys, state ranking is an OVERALL mark (ext + int). not the externals.
Also some 98s may have gotten it, and some might not have. They use decimals to 1 decimal place.

I know for one that in chem, top mark is usually 98 and SOME 96s make state ranks. This year, top mark 100!!!! and you needed a 98 to state rank at all... so yea.
Ohh i was told it was just externals (by namu if i remember correctly lol). I feel sorry for the person in my grade who got that 99 but hey its always nice when your internals bump you up for a change :haha:

Lukybear said:
But woudl it matter if you came first internal ranking with mark of 65 and an 100 external??
That means both ur internal and external marks will be 100. School assesments are to determine your ranking, your actual marks come from the hsc exam. A million threads are on this forum about this...do a quick search.

ssglain said:
Congrats to nottellingu! That's an awesome mark.
Thanks ssglain !
Your quiet popular on this forum.

I dont know if you have seen this years science exams but they seem to be alot easier than past years - especially chem and bio. Cant say the same about maths though especially 4u :p
Interested to hear what you think ssglain :D
Btw how did u get that really cool usyd adv sci/mbbs logo thing on your signature...hopefully ill need a unsw one soon *sigh*

P.S. Does anyone know a quick way to multi-quote ?

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nottellingu said:
Ohh i was told it was just externals (by namu if i remember correctly lol). I feel sorry for the person in my grade who got that 99 but hey its always nice when your internals bump you up for a change :haha:

That means both ur internal and external marks will be 100. School assesments are to determine your ranking, your actual marks come from the hsc exam. A million threads are on this forum about this...do a quick search.

Thanks ssglain !
Your quiet popular on this forum.

I dont know if you have seen this years science exams but they seem to be alot easier than past years - especially chem and bio. Cant say the same about maths though especially 4u :p
Interested to hear what you think ssglain :D
Btw how did u get that really cool usyd adv sci/mbbs logo thing on your signature...hopefully ill need a unsw one soon *sigh*

P.S. Does anyone know a quick way to multi-quote ?
It's determined by external first. And then, they look at your internal.

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
It's determined by external first. And then, they look at your internal.
no, no
its the average.
then they look at it to 1dp.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
no, no
its the average.
then they look at it to 1dp.
The Top Achievers in Course List shows the students in the top places in each course, provided they have also achieved Band 6 or Band E4, as appropriate. The number of students reported depends on the course candidature (see table below). Students are ranked by their HSC mark. Where students have equal HSC marks, they are then ranked by the average of their examination marks and their assessment marks, each taken to one decimal place. In the case of extension courses, marks awarded for other courses in the subject area are also taken into consideration when students are tied. The list shows the student's name and teaching school, and their place in the course.

I don't think that's always the case. Someone at my school in 2004 topped Physics (Peter Yoon) in the state and he was ranked second at school. Only explanation for his top rank is probably because he topped the state in the HSC exam.

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
The Top Achievers in Course List shows the students in the top places in each course, provided they have also achieved Band 6 or Band E4, as appropriate. The number of students reported depends on the course candidature (see table below). Students are ranked by their HSC mark. Where students have equal HSC marks, they are then ranked by the average of their examination marks and their assessment marks, each taken to one decimal place. In the case of extension courses, marks awarded for other courses in the subject area are also taken into consideration when students are tied. The list shows the student's name and teaching school, and their place in the course.

I don't think that's always the case. Someone at my school in 2004 topped Physics (Peter Yoon) in the state and he was ranked second at school. Only explanation for his top rank is probably because he topped the state in the HSC exam.
No, but HSC mark is NOT the external mark
HSC mark is the OVERALL mark. it's on the record of achievement

the second bold is this - "each taken to one decimal place"

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
No, but HSC mark is NOT the external mark
HSC mark is the OVERALL mark. it's on the record of achievement

the second bold is this - "each taken to one decimal place"
Oh I see.

Then Peter must have topped the HSC exam by fair margin then.

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
Oh I see.

Then Peter must have topped the HSC exam by fair margin then.
Yeah that seems about right. but you know, a fair margin can be 1-2 marks haha
Two years ago Alex Stoyanov and Josh Lau both weren't 1st ranked internally either.

it just means that the person ranked 1st internally kinda stuffed up

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
Yeah that seems about right. but you know, a fair margin can be 1-2 marks haha
Two years ago Alex Stoyanov and Josh Lau both weren't 1st ranked internally either.

it just means that the person ranked 1st internally kinda stuffed up
Oh I see.

That makes sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)