• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Some Extension 2 Revision Material for Cramming :D (1 Viewer)

zhiying

HSC
Hey guys, I made these yesterday just so I can refresh my memory of some of the stuff I'm not 100% about and I thought I might as well upload it if anyone else wants to cram the day beforehand. It's not super in depth, but just some of the stuff I don't normally remember off by heart, such as vertical hyperbola/ellipses which does come out once every so often.

It also includes some complex, curve sketching and a lot of mostly 2U-3U stuff that I had completely forgotten, since I finished 2U and 3U last year.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?pc5y5jj18h7iwgm

If you see any mistake please tell me :)

Good luck to everyone doing any kind of mathematics!

Bobbo1

HSC
I normally never find maths notes of any use or relevance, but those graphs notes are excellent!, its the first time I've seen it being done in a logical, non-calculus based manner...also extremely neat!

Good luck for tomorrow!

Last edited:

zhiying

HSC
Ahh yes I understand where you are coming from, many people think you can do f(x-a) and then do F(-x) of that. However I believe that is wrong, while you may obtain a similar looking graph (not drawing to scale) I think wen you go to like x = 10 or bigger, the 2 graphs show different y values.

I'm certain my way is correct, for proof, check 2008 4u HSC Q3a) iii) solutions in the blue past paper book if you got it, it clearly states my method :D

seanieg89

HSC
Your Simpson's rule isn't quite correct, the first and last y-value are not meant to be multiplied by two.

zhiying

HSC
Oh okay thanks, yeah it has been a LONG time since I touched 2U

Bored as brew

HSC
hey guys, i do general maths but i was just wondering

in a maths exam if they ask you something and you need to show working and you end up doing it 2 times because you're not sure which one may be right, and you cross out the one that actually ends up being right (but it's still visible to the markers) will you get marks from that?

sorry if it doesnt make sense

Bobbo1

HSC
hey guys, i do general maths but i was just wondering

in a maths exam if they ask you something and you need to show working and you end up doing it 2 times because you're not sure which one may be right, and you cross out the one that actually ends up being right (but it's still visible to the markers) will you get marks from that?

sorry if it doesnt make sense
generally they should see merit in your work so just make sure not to scribble it, a neat line will suffice - but obviously if its like a true/false question (50:50 q) you cant expect to write both answer and then cross one out and get it right

Bored as brew

HSC
generally they should see merit in your work so just make sure not to scribble it, a neat line will suffice - but obviously if its like a true/false question (50:50 q) you cant expect to write both answer and then cross one out and get it right
ohk sweet, nah not for a true false answer but for a question that may confuse me as to which formula should apply...so i end up working out the answer with 2 separate formulae and cross one out...that's how i meant

cheers bud :D

sophiesophie123

HSC
N/A
Is there any way to open the file in another format? My computer doesn't support .rar :(

hup

HSC
N/A
Ahh yes I understand where you are coming from, many people think you can do f(x-a) and then do F(-x) of that. However I believe that is wrong, while you may obtain a similar looking graph (not drawing to scale) I think wen you go to like x = 10 or bigger, the 2 graphs show different y values.

I'm certain my way is correct, for proof, check 2008 4u HSC Q3a) iii) solutions in the blue past paper book if you got it, it clearly states my method :D
when you do f(a-x)
can you do it as
f(-x+a)
so sketch f(-x) first
then shift it a units to the left?

math man

HSC
N/A
when you do f(a-x)
can you do it as
f(-x+a)
so sketch f(-x) first
then shift it a units to the left?
a better way...well for my preference..would be to change f(a-x) to f(-(x-a)) then just reflect in a after shifting

Last edited:

zhiying

HSC
^that.

I'm pretty sure the only correct method is rotate around x=a/2

rawrence

HSC
Zhiying, nothing big, but your y² = f(x) curve example is slightly wrong. When you have a double root like the example you use, the shape is continuous:

But props for you, good notes

Last edited:

zhiying

HSC
Zhiying, nothing big, but your y² = f(x) curve example is slightly wrong. When you have a double root like the example you use, the shape is continuous:

But props for you, good notes

Oh thanks, I was trying to emphasise that when you root stuff less than 1 it becomes bigger haha

HSC
This is so irrelevant but...

I was wondering how you can type those equations...It says Open Mathtype Equation 6.0 but I can't seem to find it on the net...

I've been using Word's equation editor but it doesn't have the functionality of calculus etc...Thanks!!

Also good luck with MX2 tomorrow!!

Edit: Actually dw... =D

Last edited:

zhiying

HSC
Well this post is completely irrelevant now...unless Mods wanna save it so I don't have to put it up again next year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)