• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

so what do you think about uni? (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah not enough to get you off here, but that was the same with the hsc, but enough to make you realise you should have worked during the first week of the holidays because you realise the subjects are damn competitive because everyone does well

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
uh compared to the HSC.. there is alot more work, in general. you work at a faster pace and are always behind. but then again there is no sense of pressure to do the work because the lecturers don't really give a shit if you do the assignments or not. so its really up to you. there is alot of independant learning so say goodbye to the spoonfeeding of high school.

in saying that, looking back, the hsc seems like a walk in the park.. LOL but don't ask me to re-do it... :p

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by boinkBOINK
am i the only one here thinkin it sorta sucks? well not sucks
but the work load is like whoa
im like 4weeks behind. i travel like 2hrs++
chicks? i dont see many. its like a rarity. all i see is those internationals who dress really weirdly.
nd daytona
challenge anyone?
it takes me about 2 hours to get home, since -- hour long bus ride from macq to parra + bus home that comes every half an hour :(

so im with you on that

girls...haha you are in the wrong course i think ... we guys are outnumbered in philosophy!!
/edit/

i really should start that ancient history assessment but i really have no idea what to do and where to start :S

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
a good thing is that you will have less subjects. well i do. i only have 4. i had something like double that in the hsc, so it means now i have less to concentrate on

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by iambored
a good thing is that you will have less subjects. well i do. i only have 4. i had something like double that in the hsc, so it means now i have less to concentrate on
and its usually something more relevant to what you want to do ?

i hated having to do maths in hs sucked so much

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
it it more relevant to what you have to do but...

lol ^^ at "..." because sometimes imo certain subjects (such as some courses which require math130/math135) aren't relevant but you have to do them anyway. like does maths (trig etc.) really have much to do with comp?

Ziusudra

Be My Only Angel
Made me lazy too. I had a notetaker so it was easier for me to miss classes. Hey, couldn't help it, lectures made me fall asleep. I went to the tutes though, didn't wanna fail uni.

*hopeful*

HSC
i h8 uni at this very moment
i dont wanna go bak nxt week

doe

HSC
N/A
i hated uni at the start of this semester but now im back in the swing of things after a nice break. it seems to me university is mainly about hard work and you're ability to keep working on something even though it bores you to tears. i so shouldve listened to my mother and done an arts degree.

i read somewhere that most people dont start full time work till they're 25, so i guess im on schedule (just turned 24 :p). if you hate uni maybe take a year off next year, i did and it did wonders for me. i still hate uni, but i see its value.

doe

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ...
-____-;;

try math135

*dies*
are they still using those god awful chen notes for lectures? get the calculus text by stewart, its what got me through 135 and 136.

just be thankful ron andrews isnt your lecturer, hes a fucking psycho and i had him twice

pb

Inside The Hollow
HSC
Originally posted by doe
are they still using those god awful chen notes for lectures? get the calculus text by stewart, its what got me through 135 and 136.

just be thankful ron andrews isnt your lecturer, hes a fucking psycho and i had him twice
nah thy're not using the chen notes, but they're the ones i gotta get off the net

yeh the Calculus book is good... but its so bloody massive. I brought it to uni once and it was like gah carrying it around all day.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
doe, what are you studying?

Also, Chen's notes are great (so long as you understand the material already :p).

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by doe
i it seems to me university is mainly about hard work and you're ability to keep working on something even though it bores you to tears.
lol that sounds like school to me.

uni is working because you want to because your subjects are finally interesting

^___^
HSC
doe: i dun use chen's note

the way i study is get assignment solutions and tutorial solutions, go home and read them and try to make sense of it..Chen's notes are pretty hopeless IMO if u have no basic knowledge b4 hand..

haven't tried the textbook and not planning to..lol..lets hope this pass me

doe

HSC
N/A
im studying comp sci but did math135 and math136. you're right that chens notes are a good summary, in a way its kinda impressive he can condense so much material into such a small space, in another way it sucks cause how the hell can you teach yourself from them ;)

the numeracy centre workshops are top notch if you have problems with maths like me. to put it in perspective i got about 55% in 2unit general maths, but ended up getting D's in math136 and math237 last year, mainly due to actually doing some work, but a good text and the numeracy centre helped a lot too. its sortof like the lectures give you the theory and the workshops show you how to put the theory into practise (ie solving problems). actuarial students are all math fiends though, so dont listen to anything they say :p

iambored: the subjects at uni are interesting, its just they find a way to make them boring and/or incredibly frustrating, hoho. maybe im just bitter and cynical, see previous comments about disliking uni.

... p's get degrees :D

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by doe
im studying comp sci but did math135 and math136. you're right that chens notes are a good summary, in a way its kinda impressive he can condense so much material into such a small space, in another way it sucks cause how the hell can you teach yourself from them ;)
The thing about Chen's notes is - the more times you read them, the more sense they make depending on your ability. I know people who can read them once and understand it perfectly, whereas others take ages then start to stress/buy the textbook.

Originally posted by doe
the numeracy centre workshops are top notch if you have problems with maths like me. to put it in perspective i got about 55% in 2unit general maths, but ended up getting D's in math136 and math237 last year, mainly due to actually doing some work, but a good text and the numeracy centre helped a lot too. its sortof like the lectures give you the theory and the workshops show you how to put the theory into practise (ie solving problems). actuarial students are all math fiends though, so dont listen to anything they say :p
The Math Dept took that into account when they made Math133. It's like 30-40% of the harder Math135 material plus all of Math136, all at a harder level.

Aside, it's great not competing with so many Actuarials in 2nd year Mathematics. Makes me look half smart. :p

pb

Inside The Hollow
HSC
yeh i like live in the numeracy centre when i have an assignment

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)