• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

So, how screwed am I? (1 Viewer)

roborob

HSC
Ok so basically, my school is ranked #20 give or take 1 or 2 places, but my internal ranks are shit. My internal marks aren't bad, but my ranks are bottom 50% in all of my subjects. How am I benefitted from going to a selective school exactly? Our teachers tell us 'If you were at a non-selective school, you could be ranked 1st in [insert subject of choice here]'. Bullshit.

So I know this has been asked a lot of times, but I'm still not clear. Am I screwed? Am I ultimately going to suffer because of my enrolment at a selective school, because my internal ranks are below average and thus will pull down my marks? Realistically, what are my chances of getting above, say, 85UAI?

English Adv - 78/124, 75%ish

Maths Adv - 74/91, 60%ish

Chemistry - 31/46, 85%ish

Economics - 13/14, 85%ish

Engineering - 10/19, 80%ish

Because the assessments we are set are apparently 'harder', does this mean that information is....less shit? Or am i just dreaming of getting 85+?

Ps. Last year's UAI average was 92ish, if that helps.

runnable

HSC
A higher ranked school shows that the quality of cohort is much stronger. So its true to say if you go to say a school ranked 600+, you will probably be first in that cohort.

Essentially you do not gain or lose by going to different schools at all. The only difference is the quality of teaching and atmosphere etc.

You can most probably get around 85.

roborob

HSC
So, the fact i am in a cohort that is 'smart' helps me, yes? Because i am ranked so low compared to these people, how am I more advantaged than coming first in my subjects at #600 school? If my ranks are poor (which they are, clearly) then my external is going to be averaged around these poor marks, hence I can't see why I'll get a decent UAI. Can someone elaborate?

wendus

krawr.
HSC
yeah the cohort defs helps. you can get 85 no problem
edit: but you have to work uber hard from now on.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
caswell1515 said:
very screwed!
Not screwed.
I know someone who's school is not even in the top 673 schools list. http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=162620

She's coming first in all her subjects there though. And they have received 99.5 as their highest UAI before. So i guess your in a better position than anyone who are coming first in schools who are ranked lower than 400. i would say.

Last edited:

runnable

HSC
roborob said:
So, the fact i am in a cohort that is 'smart' helps me, yes? Because i am ranked so low compared to these people, how am I more advantaged than coming first in my subjects at #600 school? If my ranks are poor (which they are, clearly) then my external is going to be averaged around these poor marks, hence I can't see why I'll get a decent UAI. Can someone elaborate?

I will say again, you are not advantaged or disadvantaged by going to a higher/lower ranked school. Having a better cohort will mean that your school will do very well as a whole in the externals, which will in your words, pull your marks up. Read up on scaling and moderation.

But if you are determined to believe that you are doomed to a terrible UAI, so be it.

HSC
roborob said:
Am I screwed? Am I ultimately going to suffer because of my enrolment at a selective school, because my internal ranks are below average and thus will pull down my marks?
no you aren't screwed
just make sure you own the hsc
and ass kick anyone in your grade that gets lazy

SimonLee13

HSC
dux&src said:
Not screwed.
I know someone who's school is not even in the top 673 schools list. http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=162620

She's coming first in all her subjects there though. And they have received 99.5 as their highest UAI before. So i guess your in a better position than anyone who are coming first in schools who are ranked lower than 400. i would say.
Being 1st in a 400+ school would be better than coming below avg in a 20th school. Why? Because the person has no limit on their UAI. Could be anything from 90-100 uai.

runnable

HSC
SimonLee13 said:
Being 1st in a 400+ school would be better than coming below avg in a 20th school. Why? Because the person has no limit on their UAI. Could be anything from 90-100 uai.

Lol correction. Many low ranking school's top UAI does not exceed 90.

P

Papers

runnable said:
Lol correction. Many low ranking school's top UAI does not exceed 90.
you stupid idiot. of course they do. what makes you the know-it-all?

runnable

HSC
Papers said:
you stupid idiot. of course they do. what makes you the know-it-all?

What do you mean? Are you saying all schools have at least one person getting over UAI 90?

P

Papers

runnable said:
What do you mean? Are you saying all schools have at least one person getting over UAI 90?
well, maybe not EVERY single school, but yes, the majority of them do.

runnable

HSC
Papers said:
well, maybe not EVERY single school, but yes, the majority of them do.

OBVIOUSLY. I said "many school" ranked 400+.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)