• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Smokers banned from fostering (1 Viewer)

HSC
http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSTRE4A47RB20081105

A council has become the first in London to rule that smokers will no longer be able to foster children.

[...]

"We know this is a difficult issue because some people will feel it is an intrusion on personal freedoms," said Councilor Michael Stark. "But we also know that smoking increases the risk of serious illness in childhood. On balance, we have decided children in our care shouldn't grow up breathing second-hand smoke."

[...]

Tobacco lobby groups said the move was part of an "ongoing campaign to stigmatize smokers."

"It's going to exclude people who could be outstanding foster parents," said a spokesman for pro-smoking group Forest. "It sends out an insidious message that smokers in general are unfit parents and I don't think any politician has the right to do that."
Has the anti-smoking "campaign" gone too far? Or not yet far enough?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
You know, I have a young niece (she's 10 now), whose mother is a chain smoker. Every time she comes to stay with us, she insists that a window in the car is cracked open, because she's so used to having to do that to breathe fresh air (as opposed to cigarette smoke).

On balance, I agree with this ban.

sdsdsdsdsd

HSC
Not far enough. One step at a time, but stepping too slowly.

55HS

HSC
I don't think a ban makes sense, but I do think it should be a part of consideration criteria.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
The ban is ridiculous.

The problem in the example you mentioned is that this dumb bitch smokes in the car, not that she smokes per se.
I don't think that a person willing to smoke anywhere near a kid, confined space or not, really deserves to be given adoption rights.

The car was just an example.

55HS

HSC
Kwayera said:
I don't think that a person willing to smoke anywhere near a kid, confined space or not, really deserves to be given adoption rights.

The car was just an example.
but the ban doesn't state that they will smoke near the kid. There are smoking parents who are quite responsible.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
who cares

fostering a child is not a right

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
but thats k rite

cause people who can have kids from childbirth can be regulated if they smoke or not

ohhh sorry guys, got to abort the kid if ya smoke... government policy.

I grew up around 2 parents who smoked. It's a disgusting experience to be around. But they would always try not to be around us when they did and they did a pretty good job at parenting if I do say so myself. Except for one particular aspect which has nothing to do with smoking and I won't go into here.

a lot of people who seek fostering can offer a hell of a lot better than some parents who have kids. I suppose its a good incentive to give up smoking if they really want the children... but at the same time, the type of parents who actively seek to foster aren't going to smoke around their kids anyway.

bigboyjames01

Banned
HSC
i dont get it. we all know its bad for you, we all know it will kill you, we all know that people around smokers get infected aswell. just fucking ban cigarettes so we can move onto proper issues. the solution to the problem is a fucking no brainier.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
bigboyjames01 said:
i dont get it. we all know its bad for you, we all know it will kill you, we all know that people around smokers get infected aswell. just fucking ban cigarettes so we can move onto proper issues. the solution to the problem is a fucking no brainier.
taxes from cigarette are just too great to ban.
not to mention that banning cigarettes would suddenly see a massive black market for them.
no. society needs to decide that cigarettes are unacceptable before they can be banned. This is slowly what is happening.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
There is problems if that was to happen:
- people would be dealing them along side all other illegal drugs
-the government would have to help people get off them
-there are two many people who smoke to ban them at the moment

seriously those ad's of that young 30 year old who died from smoking works, i know people have quit cos of those ads

boris

Banned
HSC
Yeah well i know christians who have converted to atheism because of your postings

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)