• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Should I take my L's? (1 Viewer)

Jess007

HSC
why wouldnt u want to get your p's?? even having them opens up the opportunities of being able to go anywwhere, if theres a car nearby driving is the best:)

HSC
foram said:
i think i'll let my parents drive me around a bit longer. :)
you need to learn to become a bit more independant then letting you parents drive you around. This is very immature

Jess007

HSC
i agree start doing something for yourselves
one of my friends mum still packs lunch for her in yr 12.... ridiculous!!
perfectstudent1 said:
you need to learn to become a bit more independant then letting you parents drive you around. This is very immature

kb16

HSC
theres good nd bad either way ... if u cant drive then u cant end up designated driver later on aftwer hsc which is a plus ..... ur less of a drain on the environment which is also a plus ... but it sucks findin out bus n train timetables and in alot of areas its not very safe to go public transport which is a minus ..... but u dont have to pay the rediculously high insurance fees or rego or petrol which is a plus along with the high maintnence bills of a car bought on a student budget ....

iv had to hold out on getting my Ls coz no1 will cough up the money and i dont want to get a job right now coz i had one in prelim year and it was just too much ... it worried me before but now i realise that the lessoned burdon is a bit of blessing in disguise ....

HSC
foram said:
I'm 15 and i'm going to be turning 16 in june, and I was thinking if I should take my L's because i'll almost be in yr 12 by then, and i should study, but all my friends are 16 and they've all either taken their L's or they're planning to.
In short answer, yes.
That way when you need to drive later on, you will already have your Ls.
Just take the test on the RTA site until you can do it over and over without failing.
Don't stress out over it too much, the questions are mostly common sense.
Even if you don't spend much of your time driving during your HSC, you will be better of at least having your Ls.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
So who here actually NEEDS a car rather than gettnig it for the novelty of "I have a license" ?

The whole "don't rely on your parents" thing is bullshit, unless you forked out money for your own car whilst on your Ps.

HSC
Jess007 said:
why wouldnt u want to get your p's?? even having them opens up the opportunities of being able to go anywwhere, if theres a car nearby driving is the best:)
In a place like Wollongong where public transport is a bitch then yes. I can see the lack in motivation for driving in Sydney siders as public transport is heaps good there and there's so much traffic congestion if you do drive.

But seriously though sooner or later you will want your P's, not want to have to rely on someone taking you everywhere, want to use the car even if its just to go to the shops or maccas or something...that's why you get your L's, drive around every now and then you have three years to get your P's (if you really don't want them asap).

cs01001

HSC
Get it now, serisouly only takes 3 hour to cram all questions to pass the L test.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
I've got my L's :D, and I'll be driving more often during these holidays. Can't wait till exams are over.

And yeah, go for it :). Just do the online test multiple times. That's what I did and I finished < 10min with nothing wrong :).

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
It shouldn't affect your study at all, if that's what you're concerned about.

CieL

HSC
foram said:
okay, i'll take my L's when i'm 18 :D.
Wow serious. Why bother. Let your parents drive you till you're 50.
If you think yr11/12 is insane, I wonder what you'll be like in uni.

The only good thing about not having your Provisionals at 18 is that you won't be the d-driver.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I'm still on my L's because my parents don't have that much time to teach me to drive, unfortunately. Other circumstances get in the way. If this was not the case I would have had my P's like 2 years ago. I cannot believe there are people who actively don't want to go for their licence. The day I finally get mine is going to be just about the best day of my life, period.

Also, to the OP. You can pass your L's test with no study at all if you possess something called common sense. If you feel the need to study for it you can flick through the book on the way to the RTA. The test takes like 10 minutes. Do it!

Honestly. If you can't take ten minutes out of your study schedule to do the easiest multiple choice test you'll ever do, you're going to fail at life.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Do it, trust me you can find an hour or two each week for a lesson and you need some time away from study.

I went to concerts up to and during my HSC, I didnt put my life on hold and I still did pretty well, you need study breaks or you will burn out...and who studies on a friday night really

oliviajean

HSC
definately.. driving is fun. not that i can really talk because i still havent got my p's which i could have had almost a year ago. but i have the hours...
a tip. some driving places its cheaper to get lessons if your a student. so in school is a good time i believe. life is not going to get les busy nessessarily once schools over.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Also keep in mind you may attend a university/tafe which you need to drive to and your parents may not be able to drive you, esp because uni is not 9-5.

AT UWS driving could take an hour between campuses and would have been near impossible if you had to do it via public transport

Last edited:

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
foram said:
I'm 15 and i'm going to be turning 16 in june, and I was thinking if I should take my L's because i'll almost be in yr 12 by then, and i should study, but all my friends are 16 and they've all either taken their L's or they're planning to.
Almost and being are two different things. Year 12 and the HSC is about a balance. You won't be studying 24/7, you will be doing other things besides school/study, you will take breaks, have time out etc. Although you don't realise it now high school is the perfect time to get your licence as it's one of the times in your life where you have the least amount of responsibilities/other things to do. Just ask anyone who waited i bet most of them regretting not getting them asap.

The Kaiser said:
A couple of people in my school already have drivers licenses, if you think you can handle it by all means go for it. But personally I'd rather wait till I'm 18.
What's waiting till your 18 going to do. At least get your L's at 16 then if you don't want to learn straight away that's your call, even though if you have the opportunity and means you very well should. A licence creates all kinds of new freedom that you most probably wouldn't get without one (or at the very least be more difficult).

tommykins said:
Petrol price + free travel is more than enough reason for me not to bother getting Ls.

On top of the fact public transport owns.
More like commuters get owned by public transport.

No matter what kind of spin you put on it, it's really just your way of accepting the situation you are in or have been forced to be in. Even if you don't drive that often/don't have your own car it's still an invaluable thing to have.

Whoever said "that's what your parents are for", more often then not as you start getting older parents start to want to let you become more independent not less and are less willing to be your private taxi. Forcing you to either drive, get lifts or take public transport. Having a licence allows you to be a little more self sufficient in many ways.

My younger brother will be 16 this year, I know my parents will be making sure he goes for his L's asap possible and either teaching him or paying for lessons to ensure he gets his p's asap also. Because they want that level of independence for him and so he like everyone else in the house can be driving.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
I'm still on my L's because my parents don't have that much time to teach me to drive, unfortunately. Other circumstances get in the way. If this was not the case I would have had my P's like 2 years ago. I cannot believe there are people who actively don't want to go for their licence. The day I finally get mine is going to be just about the best day of my life, period.
Exactly my point, I can understand why someone like yourself doesn't have it and it's with good reason. But then there are those people that I'm sure we all know who just can't be bothered or whatever and rely on friends, parents, lifts, public transport so whenever you want to do something with them it's almost always "i'll need a lift".

The Kaiser

HSC
pritnep said:
What's waiting till your 18 going to do. At least get your L's at 16 then if you don't want to learn straight away that's your call, even though if you have the opportunity and means you very well should. A licence creates all kinds of new freedom that you most probably wouldn't get without one (or at the very least be more difficult).
My parents lost their car in a car accident about a year ago and I was in it. I'm just not ready to start learning until I know I am fully know that I can handle it without any fear.

That being said I could take the theory exam, but I'm not ready to actually get behind the wheel.

bvl

HSC
Jess007 said:
i agree start doing something for yourselves
one of my friends mum still packs lunch for her in yr 12.... ridiculous!!
whats wrong with getting a packed lunch? it saves me time in the morning. i'd advise getting your l's asap. once you have them you can just start gradually building up hours, and with 120 to do you need to start early.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
The Kaiser said:
My parents lost their car in a car accident about a year ago and I was in it. I'm just not ready to start learning until I know I am fully know that I can handle it without any fear.

That being said I could take the theory exam, but I'm not ready to actually get behind the wheel.
Well I'm sorry that it happened to you. I guess there never is going to be a time that your 100% ready and once your confidence grows it will help things get better.

Yes at the very least if you don't want to drive atm do that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)