• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Should I 'neglect' math (1 Viewer)

fatassmcfat

HSC
Ok so I do 2u math (need it for my uni course) and I can do pretty good if I study A LOT for it but most of the time I get average marks. Howevs first assessment we had I got 69% (I studied night before because I focused more on other assessments ) which is bad but I'm not TOO far behind and could probs catchup...

However I keep on getting tempted to not bother with math at all as it would save me a million hours of studying I normally put into it (in which I'd get average marks anyway), and spend the time on my other 10 units which I'm pretty good at/confident with. Also I was thinking how math tests have close dates to other assessments so it would be advantageous as other ppl will focus more on math but I could beat them at the other subject trollface.jpg

Is this a dumbo move since its essentially like doing 10 units?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
You should try to do lots of exercises (as this is also essential in helping you understand) regularly and keep up. Don't choose a stoopid way of handling this subject - you will regret it.

seanieg89

HSC
I wouldn't call it a "dumbo move". I essentially did the same thing with Chemistry and it worked out fine (kept doing 12 units to appease my parents but never went to chem and didn't really do anything for it).

At the end of the day, you know your capabilities so it's your call, but I don't think it is a bad idea if you are confident.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I wouldn't call it a "dumbo move". I essentially did the same thing with Chemistry and it worked out fine (kept doing 12 units to appease my parents but never went to chem and didn't really do anything for it).

At the end of the day, you know your capabilities so it's your call, but I don't think it is a bad idea if you are confident.
But you are smart, so it matters less.

Examine

same
HSC
After trials I started to tone down my maths study due to needing to focus on other subjects and it worked out fine (though this was mainly because I weighed out how much the toning down would affect my ATAR in comparison to the improvement of others). As Seanieg said it should be fine as long as you are confident in your abilities.

I'd say it's pretty risky to neglect maths this early into the game though.

EDIT: I guess I'll elaborate on my case.

After the final ranks came in all my subjects were in a similar ATAR range via the atarcalculator except Adv English which seemed to drag me down quite a bit. After a bit of experimenting I found that the marks I would gain from improving my Adv English mark would lead me in getting a higher atar compared to the losses I made in MX1/MX2 just as long as Economics and Legal Studies were still up there. ATM I doubt you'd be at the stage where you can judge this since you've only done one assessment so I really recommend persevering for now.

Last edited:

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
depends...if you're doing really well in your other subjects, you can probably afford to. But if you're not doing well enough to "neglect" it, you should probably spend some time working on it. I would recommend working on it, because you said it's needed for your uni course and if you can't get the foundations right, what makes you think it will get any easier in uni? But that's just my two cents. Good luck :)

fatassmcfat

HSC
Ooooooooh thanks guys. I will probably work hard on it for now and see how i go :D

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
If you need 2 unit maths for your university course-it makes sense to put effort into it. And you have only finished the first term, there are three more terms to go and your results in your other subjects can fluctuate and your plan of just blitzing your other 10 units and forget about maths can go wrong. I reckon you should just stick it out for a term or two and try to improve your marks in it-if you work on maths consistently, you shouldn't find it to be a tremendous amount of work. Best wishes for blitzing your HSC year and I hope you have a wonderful break:)

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
Do NOT neglect maths, especially 2umaths since it doesn't scale that well compared to mx1 and mx2. Plus, you need it for your uni course, you should treat it seriously since day 1. You don't want to turn out to be those who end up struggling in uni and doing those bridging courses and paying lots of unnecessary cash to the uni.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Ok so I do 2u math (need it for my uni course) and I can do pretty good if I study A LOT for it but most of the time I get average marks. Howevs first assessment we had I got 69% (I studied night before because I focused more on other assessments ) which is bad but I'm not TOO far behind and could probs catchup...

However I keep on getting tempted to not bother with math at all as it would save me a million hours of studying I normally put into it (in which I'd get average marks anyway), and spend the time on my other 10 units which I'm pretty good at/confident with. Also I was thinking how math tests have close dates to other assessments so it would be advantageous as other ppl will focus more on math but I could beat them at the other subject trollface.jpg

These two things don't really add up, but honestly, does neglecting the one subject that's a requirement for your university course sound like a good idea to you?

enoilgam

HSC
If you need the course for Uni, then I dont think you should neglect it entirely. If you arent understanding the work, then it is pointless even doing the subject and you will be behind in uni. I'd just put in a decent effort in order to ensure that I understood the work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)