• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Short Answers (1 Viewer)

lonelynight99

HSC
Will u get some marks for the short answer for Area of Study if you wrote the answer and techniques, but the answer seems to be partially right?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You will get some marks if they are merited i.e there needs to be some decent mark worthy stuff in there even if the answer is not full.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You mean half a mark? like 2/4?
Well if the question is out of 4, you can get 0, 1, 2, 3 or full marks (4) respectively.

I don't recall there being half marks in actual HSC marking, except when the two markers mark is averaged, but schools regularly use half marks across their subjects to divide people as did mine.

Bobbo1

HSC
Most short answer are worth more than 1 mark, so you will get partial marks if you are partially right, i.e. have pointed out some techniques, analysis and quoted something from the text.

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
You should have a look at the marking criteria.

To get 1/3 for instance, you only need to attempt to describe the text.
To get 2/3, you need to find some techniques and provide some sort of adequate explanation.
To get 3/3, you need to have aptly chosen techniques and a well-written response.

I've spoken to various HSC markers, and I remember a couple of them saying that it's okay if e.g. one of your techniques/explanation is shoddy. They'll just look over it and see if the rest of your response is good enough. For instance, if it's a 3 mark question, and you've written on 4 techniques with good explanations for 3 of them, but your last one is a bit dodgy, you can still get 3/3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)