• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Shared video card help (1 Viewer)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
i have a new laptop with ATI RADEON™ IGP320M, selectable 16/32/64/128MB shared memory with 3D accelerator. also have a 1.6 ghz amd athlon xp, and 512MB drr 266 mhz. if i increase the memory for video card it decreases the ram memory...

by doin so will i be able to play mid to high end games?

theone123

blue essence
HSC
i mean at least CC Generals Zero Hour, HL2, and low res FEAR hope fully

theone123

blue essence
HSC
also i forgot to ask, wat will be the consequences if i increase it to max memory for video card, will it over heat the comp or something?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Half Life 2 and F.E.A.R. are definitely out, even at low resolution. Probably the other one too, it's really old hardware, can barely play Quake 3 with it.

There's nothing with setting video RAM to max except you have less RAM to use on other things.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Shared memory's a pos, that comp is word processing only;)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Actually even the processor would rule out any playing of fear/hl2. C&C might work.

Collin

HSC
N/A
theone123 said:
if i increase the memory for video card it decreases the ram memory...

by doin so will i be able to play mid to high end games?
F.E.A.R? You've gotta be kidding me. No offence, of course.

theone123 said:
also i forgot to ask, wat will be the consequences if i increase it to max memory for video card, will it over heat the comp or something?
You're basically allocating more memory available for the video card, so assuming your comp is using 512MB allocated to video and none allocated to system memory, you'll be screwed since for any tasks, you would need a certain amount of system memory. But chances are if you allocate all your 512MB to video, your comp won't ever be using it all anyway due to the current state of games and the overall shitness of your card. Anyway, there's a healthy balance to be striked between vid mem and system mem.

And no silly, it won't overheat the comp.

With those specs, I wouldn't really bother with modern FPS.. if you can tolerate low frame rates at low quality settings, then sure but I would personally find that experience horrid. You can always try though, don't let anyone here stop you from attempting atleast.

Crank up the res and details in F.E.A.R and tell us if it gets past the loading stage without a runtime error. If so, you'll be in for a treat: F.E.A.R - Super Slideshow Edition.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Templar said:
Half Life 2 and F.E.A.R. are definitely out, even at low resolution. Probably the other one too, it's really old hardware, can barely play Quake 3 with it.

There's nothing with setting video RAM to max except you have less RAM to use on other things.
i should be able to run zero hour perfectly on this comp as i have installed on my 4 yo comp generals, which runs but lags dearly...

desktop specs: P3 866Mhz, 256MB SDRAM, 64MB GF4 MX 420.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
You can run Generals, yes. I run Generals Zero Hour no problems on my 1.6Ghz laptop (integrated graphics). You can forget about the other two though. No chance in hell you'll be able to run those at playable speeds.

I_F

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
That setup can barely crack 1500 in 3DMark01, while a laptop with a GeForce4 MX can push past 4000. So I doubt Generals Zero Hour will not lag on it.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
withoutaface said:
Shared memory's a pos, that comp is word processing only;)
yes, i concur u r correct :( its only a mutha fricken word processor

i couldnt run all not even Mafia (2002), i doubt it run tetris even...

even my 5 yo desktop (upgraded SDRAM and GPU card 2 years ago) can run it better and clean.

can i upgrade my laptop to a better video card?

theone123

blue essence
HSC
insert-username said:
You can run Generals, yes. I run Generals Zero Hour no problems on my 1.6Ghz laptop (integrated graphics). You can forget about the other two though. No chance in hell you'll be able to run those at playable speeds.

I_F
i dont exactly picture how..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)