• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Self ATAR Calculation (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
After my Legal Studies teacher took the liberty to predict ATAR's during a boring Friday class and told me to play around with the UMAX calculator: UAI Calculator & ATAR Calculator

I've been thinking, is it really a good thing to do, or is it just putting unnecessary expectations on yourself?

For example, I combined the UMAX results with Table A2 - and critically evaluated myself, saying, "Okay, 11% of the students in English Advanced got Band 6s. Or around 3000 students with the median score at 80. Do I place myself in the top 3000?" I said, 'No', and put in 87 as a guesstimate.

Then I did it for the rest. So I got:

ADV - 87, EX1 - 90, EX2 - 93, MX1 - 95, MX2 - 94, CHM - 88, PHY - 88, LGL - 92

That gave me 98.70.

Then I thought that seemed too high and so I put what I would probably get on a bad day.

ADV - 84, EX1 - 87, EX2 - 90, MX1 - 90, MX2 - 91, CHM - 86, PHY - 85, LGL - 88

That gave me 97.25.

Which still seems too high. Then I plugged in the median numbers from Table A2 and I got 93.10.

Then I plugged in what I thought I could get if I tried really, really, really hard.

ADV - 92, EX1 - 94, EX2 - 96, MX1 - 97, MX2 - 97, CHM - 94, PHY - 94, LGL - 97.

And I got... 99.95.

So I'm a bit confuzzled. Is this a good idea to play around with it, or am I just placing unnecessary stress on myself?

Sure, at standard I 'should' get 93.10, but that'd mean if I get lower, I'm below the state average and as my Physics teacher says, "Always beat the average", and I'd be disappointing myself.

Or am I just a potential 99.95 student in denial...?

Kamal15

HSC
wow thats pretty impressive lol
umm i remember going back to last year I actually used the Bored of Studies SAM to get an idea of what was possible for me. Similar to your technique I tried to model my marks on the percentage of the state except the one difference was that I had chemistry from the year before
SAM kept predicting 99.9-100 and that for me was mind boggling
I shrugged it off at the time, mainly cos I wasn't interested in even thinking about that far down the track and the only time I actually told someone about this was my Dad who also told me to disregard it. Well when I got my atar this year and it said 99.95.....lol it was a bit of a shock, and if i were you I would just continue to apply yourself in every subject. Disregard wat you have seen and keep working and well who knows ...UMAX mite just be right

mirakon

nigga
HSC
I personally think people who spend too much time on the ATAR calculator are full of crap. BY no means is it necessarily accurate and there's really no point. Your ATAR is based on how hard you work for the HSC, not on what the calculator says. It's IMO completely irrelevant.

The aspects of you that can result in good marks are determination and intelligence, none of which the calculator can detect. The more you play around with it the more it's going to influence you in a negative way. You might as well get back to studying instead of wasting precious time pondering over it too much.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
That's probably the best advice - get back to studying. Perhaps waste another two hours on theoretical conics questions I have no idea how to answer =P

Or of course make notes for exams. Thanks all!

determine

Premium Member
HSC
I personally think people who spend too much time on the ATAR calculator are full of crap. BY no means is it necessarily accurate and there's really no point. Your ATAR is based on how hard you work for the HSC, not on what the calculator says. It's IMO completely irrelevant.

The aspects of you that can result in good marks are determination and intelligence, none of which the calculator can detect. The more you play around with it the more it's going to influence you in a negative way. You might as well get back to studying instead of wasting precious time pondering over it too much.
I beg to differ on that statement. To an extent your ATAR does reflect the amount of effort you put in, but at the same time, those with higher scaling subjects will get dragged up with less effort than someone who has had to put their heart and soul into their low scaling subjects. No matter how hard a person tries in low scaling subjects, even if they get 97 in all of them, they'll struggle to get 99.95.

ilikebeeef

HSC

It might not be a 100% accurate but at least it gives people some idea of their where they're going with their ATAR. People are curious especially if they're aiming super high.

But yeah, it would be a waste of time going on it all day. A few times through the year would be okay.

I beg to differ on that statement. To an extent your ATAR does reflect the amount of effort you put in, but at the same time, those with higher scaling subjects will get dragged up with less effort than someone who has had to put their heart and soul into their low scaling subjects. No matter how hard a person tries in low scaling subjects, even if they get 97 in all of them, they'll struggle to get 99.95.
+1. Although the effort needed is subjective.

ilikebeeef

HSC
After my Legal Studies teacher took the liberty to predict ATAR's during a boring Friday class and told me to play around with the UMAX calculator: UAI Calculator & ATAR Calculator

I've been thinking, is it really a good thing to do, or is it just putting unnecessary expectations on yourself?

For example, I combined the UMAX results with Table A2 - and critically evaluated myself, saying, "Okay, 11% of the students in English Advanced got Band 6s. Or around 3000 students with the median score at 80. Do I place myself in the top 3000?" I said, 'No', and put in 87 as a guesstimate.

Then I did it for the rest. So I got:

ADV - 87, EX1 - 90, EX2 - 93, MX1 - 95, MX2 - 94, CHM - 88, PHY - 88, LGL - 92

That gave me 98.70.

Then I thought that seemed too high and so I put what I would probably get on a bad day.

ADV - 84, EX1 - 87, EX2 - 90, MX1 - 90, MX2 - 91, CHM - 86, PHY - 85, LGL - 88

That gave me 97.25.

Which still seems too high. Then I plugged in the median numbers from Table A2 and I got 93.10.

Then I plugged in what I thought I could get if I tried really, really, really hard.

ADV - 92, EX1 - 94, EX2 - 96, MX1 - 97, MX2 - 97, CHM - 94, PHY - 94, LGL - 97.

And I got... 99.95.

So I'm a bit confuzzled. Is this a good idea to play around with it, or am I just placing unnecessary stress on myself?

Sure, at standard I 'should' get 93.10, but that'd mean if I get lower, I'm below the state average and as my Physics teacher says, "Always beat the average", and I'd be disappointing myself.

Or am I just a potential 99.95 student in denial...?
From the sounds of it, you should prolly not go on it too much.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yeah, one gets bored after about 20 minutes. Then I look to my right and see all the stuff I have to do <_<

Notes, past papers, exercises, etc. etc. etc.

mioumiou

HSC

Thanks for the advice guys!! :uhhuh: :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)