• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Selective schools? (1 Viewer)

kpq_sniper017

amoz_lilo said:
they started in year 11
ok.
coz i heard they attended a school in artarmon after leaving pius (or maybe they live there....can't remember).

do u go to killara?

kpq_sniper017

wrx said:
i wanted to goto killara :( Just out of the damn local zone
Btw Pcx do you live near Pius?
nah, i don't live near pius. but it seems ok to me.
u wanted to go to killara...?
were u encouraged by the guy who got a UAI of 100 and the other girl who got 99.95?

can u imagine the freedom of getting a UAI of 100. the vice-chancellor of unsw said that they could get a scholarship into any course they wanted. damn, i wish.... :)

twiddla

There are good and bad things about selective schools a few little facts being at North Syd since yr 7 and b4 that an OC ill try and remain unbiased as pos

firstly selective schools do not get specially selected teachers - the dept allocates teachers while sometimes they'll allow for a merit selectionl - there are other times they don't - just as every other school in the state system. However once teachers have taught at a selective school they either don't teach cos they figure that u can cope (about the same no. who don't in a normal school) or they do teach and push u to the utter limit

selective schools will not suit everyone however the environment is good for working in senior school as well beyond 90% are targeting a high level uai nd thus is committed to work - pre that most students just cruised through things with only min effort. - while there is competition everyone still helps each other - it is the only way you get through. if ur someone who has to be on the top of the grade continuously this isn't what you want. Some teachers will also give you the options of extra sessions and go into a bit more depth in lessons so you can get tha 90+ bracket for a particular subject. If you use these it will help you achieve. there is also the expectation that you go beyond just doing the homework which is a good habit because the sameis expected at uni

kpq_sniper017

"the option of extra sessions"

is that after school?
our school offers homework help one some days, but i think that's just about it.

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
i don't think selective schools always have "better working environments" it really depends on you you react to the pressure, but i know personally many people in selective schools where the pressure and competition has gotten too much for them and they go downhill, not just study wise but get into some lifestyle shit

i like going to a non selective school because of the environment i'm in, it's fairly relaxed but we still work hard, furthermore just because people go to selective schools doesn't mean they're smarter, it only means they were smarter in year 6 :p

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
~*HSC 4 life*~ said:
i don't think selective schools always have "better working environments" it really depends on you you react to the pressure, but i know personally many people in selective schools where the pressure and competition has gotten too much for them and they go downhill, not just study wise but get into some lifestyle shit

i like going to a non selective school because of the environment i'm in, it's fairly relaxed but we still work hard, furthermore just because people go to selective schools doesn't mean they're smarter, it only means they were smarter in year 6 :p
Pretty true though....I was in an OC class and everyone in it got into a selective high or won a scholarship to some filthy rich catholic school that wanted some serious UAI action, and I would have, if only I hadn't moved out of Sydney :mad: . But whatever, what's done's done, and I did better in the SC than some of the selective highers, even if it's not much to brag about. So yay for us none selectives creaming your collective, smarmy selective arses in the HSC.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
i take full offence to that :(

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
*whips cherryblossom into line*

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
oh and i also hate the 'OC' class, it's so offensive like 'opportunity class' us non OC-ers have opportunities too! grrr! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)