• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Searching for Legislation (1 Viewer)

HSC
Could someone please direct me to the Bail Act, I have looked on the Internet and the Austlii website, I am just unsure if it is the correct one I am looking at?

sally05

HSC
site:http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/pr...82332e61c26e03deca256d34001e09d8?OpenDocument

Bail Amendment Bill 2003---An Act to amend the Bail Act 1978 to make further provision with respect to the grant of bail and review of bail decisions

Object of this Bill is to amend the Bail Act 1978: (a) to prevent a person who is accused of murder from being granted bail except in exceptional circumstances, and (b) to prevent a person who is accused of a serious personal violence offence and who has previously been convicted of a serious personal violence offence from being granted bail except

site:http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/pr...89579826c483ae0fca256ea800116d2d?OpenDocument
Bail Amendment (Terrorism) Bill 2004
An Act to amend the Bail Act 1978 with respect to the grant of bail to persons charged with certain terrorism offences, and for other purposes.

...i know they're bills but yeah

Last edited:
HSC
If it is assented, then that means it exists doesn't it? I just want to make sure before I use it anywhere.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Just refer to the Bail Act 1978 and if u can remember Bail Amendment (Terrorism) Act 2004, talk about that... it deals with certain terrorism offences.

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
*n.a.t.a.l.i.e* said:
If it is assented, then that means it exists doesn't it? I just want to make sure before I use it anywhere.
That's not always the case ... some acts are assented to but
(a) only come into force after being proclaimed by the Governor (or Governor-General) in Council; or
(b) only come into force on a date appointed by a 'commencement' section of the act itself.

Check the text of all bills/acts to ensure you are aware of the date of commencemnet. Also note the 'Notes' section of all Austlii legislation as that contains the table of ammendments and, generally, the commencement date(s).

Good luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)