• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

science skills help (1 Viewer)

kr73114

HSC
I understand that a large part of science exam is skills. Can someone please help me with understanding the terms variable, dependant variable, independent variable and control. Also any other science skill I should know.

zxreth

HSC
I understand that a large part of science exam is skills. Can someone please help me with understanding the terms variable, dependant variable, independent variable and control. Also any other science skill I should know.
variable: something that can be changed or minipulated
independent variable: the thing which the scientist changes
dependant variable: the thing which depends on the independent variable
control: the thing which is kept the same throughout the whole experiment

hope that helped :)

kr73114

HSC
control: the thing which is kept the same throughout the whole experiment

thanks

Uzername

B.S., M.S., M.A., Ph.D.
HSC
In an experiment, the variable refers to something that changes in an experiment... This can be anything, it's a matter of controlling/changing it per your needs... here:

Dependent variable: You measure this in an experiment. The dependent variable's results are influenced by the independent variable - e.g., the rate of growth of a plant would be influenced by how much water you add. - see below

Independent variable: This is what is intentionally changed in an experiment. You change it in order to achieve the results/observations you want. Adding different amounts of water (independent) to a plant to see the rate of growth (dependent - it depends on the amount of water.)

Controlled variables - you keep this the same in an experiment to make sure it is not influencing your results... E.g., making sure the amount of sunlight provided is constant on the plant/plants

Experimental Control - used to make an experiment valid. To prove that your independent variable was actually influencing your results. A control would be a plant that has no water added to it, so you can see the effect of different amoutns of water on a plant, by comparing to the plant that had no water.

Other skills - I can bet you will be tested on reading diff. types of graphs (e.g, bar , pie, column, line) and interpreting data from tables.

these are off the top of my head.. so if anyone has any corrections, please feel free

salih08

HSC
controlled variables: the things which are kept the same throughout the whole experiment (eg.temperature, pressure, light, time, amount of soil)

u got control mixed with controlled variable.
ur definition is for controlled variables.
control is a test under normal conditions to compare your tests with/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)