• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Schoolboy suspended over lunch cutlery (1 Viewer)

Uncle

Banned
HSC

Zachary Christie was ordered to spend 45 days in an alternative school for troublemakers because he wanted to eat lunch with his favorite camping tool — a combination of folding fork, knife and spoon.

"It's not fair," Zachary told the NBC's Today Show.

"I took it to eat lunch with … I had absolutely no idea this was going to happen.

"The teacher said 'Can I have that I am going to hand it to your teacher' and she gave it to the principal. When they called my name out I thought 'Uh oh'."

Zachary had recently been given the pocket knife after joining Cub Scouts.

His mother Debbie immediately appealed the ruling and says she will have to home school her son if it is not overturned.

"I understand why they have the policy but I do not agree with the implementation of it," Ms Christie said.

"I think they need to look at the age, maturity and intent and bring in the teacher and principal and allow them to make the first call in these circumstances."

While the Christina School District has a zero-tolerance policy for weapons in school, board member John Mackenzie conceded "the policy, of course, needs some additional flexibility."

Mr Mackenzie said teachers and administrators need the freedom to use their common sense when it's obvious that a child presents no danger.

He says the board will likely amend the policy this week and that any change would be retroactive to the beginning of the school year.
Schoolboy suspended over lunch cutlery

Rules like this were pointless and this is why school sucked so hard I skipped school often.

Wheelbarrows

Banned
HSC
Fair enough. If we let one kid bring knives to school, what's to stop the other kids from doing the same?

One rule for all.

K

khorne

It wasn't like he was bringing a combat knife or a kitchen knife...It's a cheap pocket cutlery set, not like you're going to start assaulting students with that.

ScullyBCDali

HSC
Haha!
I had a steak knife at school (to cut oranges) and was preteding to hold a friend hostage... teacher caught me an sent me to the principal, who took my knife and told me to get it back in the arvo... nothign more!
I live in a prety 'non-violent' town, so dont have many problems, but i carry and use my pocket knife every day... its so handy to have on you! (im a primary producer, and can leagally carry a pocket knife... but i dont take it to school because thats obvioustly frowned apon)

Anyway, I think that was waaaaaaay too much of a punishment for somethig as innocent as that!

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
This is retarded. I mean, would someone get the same punishment for bringing in pointy chopsticks? I mean, they ARE stabby.

Also, I brought a very sharp paring knife to school quite often, to cut up mangoes. This was in high school, sure, but still. No comments, no complaints.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)