• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

School Holidays... (1 Viewer)

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Aquawhite said:
All your information is stored on the Hard Drive/Local Drive.... C:/. They will disconnect your harddrive so they can put in a new motherboard since she controls everything lol. Everything is connected to the motherboard in some form or another.

I also highly doubt that you could even damage your motherboard through anything to do with the power because the motherboard has to be raised off any of the sides to prevent electricution. The power going to the motherboard is transferred through the powerpack.... sorry I didn't explain that.... The power from the wall actually has to hit the power pack/switch in your computer then in will send impulses into your motherboard to turn on when you hit the power button.

I hope the repair people aren't bullshitting to you cause this is gunna cost you a hell of alot of money.... a very second hand computer will cost less than this repair.... its more a replacement!
thanks .yeh. I hope they arent bullshiting. They said its gonna cost $800, and thats how much I bought it for. They didnt even give me my laptop bag when I bought my laptop, which they were supposed to :confused:

alan7948

HSC
nerdsforever said:
thanks .yeh. I hope they arent bullshiting. They said its gonna cost $800, and thats how much I bought it for. They didnt even give me my laptop bag when I bought my laptop, which they were supposed to :confused:
800 DOLLARS???

you might as well get a new one

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep, that's shit. A new motherboard should only cost around $400 maximum... extreme maximum. Usually one would cost about $200. They could not possibly charge you that much extra to install it! That's atrocious! I seriously believe you are being scammed!... :(

If they are going to charge you that much I recommend getting a new computer/laptop. Ask for your harddrive back from the repairers so your can get it installed on the new computer/laptop. That way you can have a brand newy, with all your documents, settings and programs!

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Aquawhite said:
Yep, that's shit. A new motherboard should only cost around $400 maximum... extreme maximum. Usually one would cost about $200. They could not possibly charge you that much extra to install it! That's atrocious! I seriously believe you are being scammed!... :(

If they are going to charge you that much I recommend getting a new computer/laptop. Ask for your harddrive back from the repairers so your can get it installed on the new computer/laptop. That way you can have a brand newy, with all your documents, settings and programs!
Thats what I was thinking. I was thinking of getting another one, but the computer dude said it would be better to fix it, then waste it. After all, the computer dude is a friend of my parents, but he has been gone with my laptop for a whole week with no news. How long is he seriously gonna take! I need to start my assignments!

About the $800 thing, my mum asked him and he said it would usually not cost much to repair it, but he said mine was 'a special type of motherboard'. and that the repair shop doesnt have it and needs to order it, thus costing $800. Im not good at computers, so I have no idea about this thing

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
nerdsforever said:
Thats what I was thinking. I was thinking of getting another one, but the computer dude said it would be better to fix it, then waste it. After all, the computer dude is a friend of my parents, but he has been gone with my laptop for a whole week with no news. How long is he seriously gonna take! I need to start my assignments!

About the $800 thing, my mum asked him and he said it would usually not cost much to repair it, but he said mine was 'a special type of motherboard'. and that the repair shop doesnt have it and needs to order it, thus costing $800. Im not good at computers, so I have no idea about this thing
Can you please specify what model and make your computer is and I will search up what requirements and parts your laptop needs/has. I will get a good price evaluation for you and determine whether you are being ripped off because I LOATHE scammers...

I also doubt your motherboard is 'special' and almost no repair shop stores motherboards there! I have not seen a shop that actually keeps motherboards there because it is rare when a motherboard is broken and every computer is different. Of course they would have to order it in.

akrinis

HSC
I've been to Tennis Camp for four days now. Awesome experience, you get there at 9am and leave at 3pm, like a normal school day. We play all throughout the day and get 2 lunch breaks. It's creates social opportunities and I enjoy the matches and activities we do here, and the people I met are a great bunch. Definitely going to do this again next holiday.

At home, I've been trying to get my English and History homework done, but it's absolutely doing my head in. I have a comprehension question booklet on the entire To Kill a Mockingbird novel, and a large bulk of sheets on Immigration and the Whitlam Government.

:jaw:

Last edited:

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
Aquawhite said:
Can you please specify what model and make your computer is and I will search up what requirements and parts your laptop needs/has. I will get a good price evaluation for you and determine whether you are being ripped off because I LOATHE scammers...

I also doubt your motherboard is 'special' and almost no repair shop stores motherboards there! I have not seen a shop that actually keeps motherboards there because it is rare when a motherboard is broken and every computer is different. Of course they would have to order it in.

MOST repair shops sell parts [yes even mobos]
maybe the guy meant they dont have a compatible mobo in store atm
but yea $800 for a mobo is a total ripoff.

i spent the first week of my holidays planning what i was going to do. after a whole week of planning i started on my physics notes [finished that]
feeling fatigued atm =/

Last edited:

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Aquawhite said:

lol I dont even know what model my laptop is. I just know it's a Benq brand.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
nerdsforever said:
lol I dont even know what model my laptop is. I just know it's a Benq brand.
Lol. Well sorry... I can't help you any further than what I have then :). I hope all works out though. As long as you are happy when you get your laptop back; I would be infuriated to pay such a price for a motherboard :D. You should try and contact him again and ask him what model your laptop is/what motherboard is needed. And tell me!

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
akrinis said:
I've been to Tennis Camp for four days now. Awesome experience, you get there at 9am and leave at 3pm, like a normal school day. We play all throughout the day and get 2 lunch breaks. It's creates social opportunities and I enjoy the matches and activities we do here, and the people I met are a great bunch. Definitely going to do this again next holiday.

At home, I've been trying to get my English and History homework done, but it's absolutely doing my head in. I have a comprehension question booklet on the entire To Kill a Mockingbird novel, and a large bulk of sheets on Immigration and the Whitlam Government.

:jaw:
I LOVE tennis. It is my favourite sport and used to play professionally. I did eventually give up the professional part... I got to state a few times :). The reason I gave up is because the people at my local comp were never serious at all about their game and didn't ever really want to improve their game. Unlike my cousin who lives in Kirrawee who adores tennis and is now better than me... *glares at cousin*.

HSC
Aquawhite said:
I LOVE tennis. It is my favourite sport and used to play professionally. I did eventually give up the professional part... I got to state a few times :). The reason I gave up is because the people at my local comp were never serious at all about their game and didn't ever really want to improve their game. Unlike my cousin who lives in Kirrawee who adores tennis and is now better than me... *glares at cousin*.
you got paid to play tennis ?!?!?!

off wiki..
In sports, a professional is someone who participates for money. The opposite is amateur, meaning a person that does not play for money, but in an academic (e.g. college football) or other private setting. The term "professional" is commonly used incorrectly, as the distinction simply refers to how the athlete is funded, and not necessarily to what competitions he engages in or what results he achieves.

mustve been good..

no sarcasm

crap

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I did win a little prize money for winning tournaments :). No you knew what I mean't... I took my sport (tennis) professionally and I was considering it as a career at one stage but I'm more academically minded and in some ways try to be a perfectionist at school (damn you brain!).

I wasn't trying to say that I am a professional like Rodger Federer and Tommy Haas but I would like to be lol. I just played tennis at higher ranking tournaments than the average person would. :)

No didn't get paid to play... just some prize money :D.

HSC
Aquawhite said:
I did win a little prize money for winning tournaments :). No you knew what I mean't... I took my sport (tennis) professionally and I was considering it as a career at one stage but I'm more academically minded and in some ways try to be a perfectionist at school (damn you brain!).

I wasn't trying to say that I am a professional like Rodger Federer and Tommy Haas but I would like to be lol. I just played tennis at higher ranking tournaments than the average person would. :)

No didn't get paid to play... just some prize money :D.
i did actuallyinterpret professional player as like paid to play =]

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry about the misconception there! :)

No I was never THAT good to be paid to play tennis... I would choose it as a career if I was!

HSC
anybody would..
prize money to be over 1 000 000 + sponsership + fame and anything else ive forgotton

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
xXmuffin0manXx said:
anybody would..
prize money to be over 1 000 000 + sponsership + fame and anything else ive forgotton
Sometimes... annoying fans that always want their autograph! lol

akrinis

HSC
Aquawhite said:
You're lucky you got the chance to play when you were younger. I'm sure starting at 14 was way too old for me to pursue a career in Tennis, even if I love the sport. If I knew back when I was, say 9, I would definitely have started earlier and maybe even consider a career in it? Most tennis PROS start off at 7 years or younger, I heard, and I guess that's right considering they need so many years to train. I know it's too late for me, because I've started too late and I'm not in a position to pay for all the coaching lessons in the world to help me.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
akrinis said:
You're lucky you got the chance to play when you were younger. I'm sure starting at 14 was way too old for me to pursue a career in Tennis, even if I love the sport. If I knew back when I was, say 9, I would definitely have started earlier and maybe even consider a career in it? Most tennis PROS start off at 7 years or younger, I heard, and I guess that's right considering they need so many years to train. I know it's too late for me, because I've started too late and I'm not in a position to pay for all the coaching lessons in the world to help me.
I actually started at about 10. I didn't do intensive training.... And it's not too late to try and take it further of you are really good at it. If you love it and can win some tournaments and keep improving then you can have a shot for sure.... but only if you want to pursue that as a career.

akrinis

HSC
Aquawhite said:
I actually started at about 10. I didn't do intensive training.... And it's not too late to try and take it further of you are really good at it. If you love it and can win some tournaments and keep improving then you can have a shot for sure.... but only if you want to pursue that as a career.
It's funny you know, because up until I started getting coached, I was already convinced I'm terrible at Sports. :lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)