• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

RU486 - Abortion Pill (1 Viewer)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
Economically sensible, possibly. But not sensible or justifiable any other way.

Here we go again, the legalise marijuana debate.
Well as im sure youre aware, in a truly liberalised, deregulated, free-market the populace is considered to make "rational" choices depending on needs. I dont see why there should be a law governing drugs. People can take them if they want. Its called personal freedom, truly democratic by definition. The same goes for RU486.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Does a newborn baby have the cognitive faculties to distinguish between people? Does a one year old have the cognitive faculties for empathy?
Does a two year old have the cognitive faculties for compassion?

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Phanatical said:
Does a newborn baby have the cognitive faculties to distinguish between people? Does a one year old have the cognitive faculties for empathy?
Phanatical said:
In many cultures and religions, life begins at conception, and not birth. This happens to be a viewpoint I agree with.
Interestingly enough popular opinion suggests that not many people argee with you. Life begins at birth and thats why birth is so significant. But then again if your wife shares your belief she will be happy for you to miss the birth since its no biggy.

Ask your self this phanatical. If birth is not the beginning of life then why do we even have birth?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Phanatical said:
I think youre missing my point completely. I mean, provided a unborn child does not have cognitive capacity to feel pain, then the argument in fact becomes, women should not deprive the future life of their unborn babies by aborting them pre-birth (the inhumane or tortourous aspects negated) . I think of greater concern, in a similar respect, is environemtnal degradation which does the exact same thing over a prolonged and much more serious process of time. Yet, somehow the humanitarian aspects of environmental degradation fall subordianate to the economic benefits of big business who purge the land. You cant have it both ways.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
withoutaface said:
Quah do you oppose the morning after pill?
If you're gonna kill a child, better to do it on the first day. It's the lesser of two evils, in this case. But that's just my personal viewpoint.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Phanatical said:
If you're gonna kill a child, better to do it on the first day. It's the lesser of two evils, in this case. But that's just my personal viewpoint.
But you'd still allow it?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Phanatical said:
What difference does the amount of time in the womb make?

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Phanatical said:
so you consider the morning after pill to be the killing of a human life? i ask since the morning after pill is a form of contraceptive. it prevents conception from taking place. in which case the pill, condoms, masturbation and menstruation all kill children

philly17

dont be stupid menstruation is a natural unprovoked un controllable process therefore out of that list this one is not your fault!! the rest are wrong yes

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The morning-after pill doesn't prevent conception. Conception will have occured by that point.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Phanatical said:
The morning-after pill doesn't prevent conception. Conception will have occured by that point.
Thats not always the case. If taken within 72 hours after intercourse, the pill blocks fertilization or delays ovulation, thereby preventing conception. If fertilization has already occurred, the morning-after pill has no effect.

malkin86

HSC
Wooz said:
I watched an article on RU486 on the 7:30 report last night on how it is being used to stop the growth of brain tumors and how a woman who has a brain tumor cant get it because it hasnt been registered in australia, thus no dr would pescribe it to her.

Transcript: http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2006/s1554500.htm

Theres also an organisation called australians against ru486: http://www.aaru486.com.au/
RU486 also interferes with HIV, and may have other uses than an abortion drug.

http://www.thebody.com/pwa/NFUspr99/ru486.html

http://www.drfeelgood.com.au/articles/medical conditions/ru486.htm

from that second link, it seems like the original drug had a side effect of 60% miscarriage rate - and someone decided to add something else to it that made the miscarriage rate go up to 95%, and badge the side-effect as a good thing.

I did hear on the news a little while ago that an abortion clinic worker said that the 6-8 week gap that RU486 is effective in doesn't give women enough time to think about it, to discuss it with their families and partners. She said that a substantial portion of panicky women that she turned away then decided, after seeing all their options, that they could go through with the pregnancy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)