• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Racism in Australia (1 Viewer)

Honestly, have you ever felt racially prejudiced against whilst you were in Aus?

• Never

Votes: 29 23.4%
  • Yes, but it was a one-off thing

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • Yes, a number of times

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • Yes, i deal with it somewhat constantly

Votes: 23 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

transcendent

HSC
N/A
supercharged get over your pro-asia crap or go out and do something about it instead of bitching about under-representation of asians in Australia. you don't get that Australian television is not doing so well. you don't get that Australian actors are finding it hard to make shows that people watch. why don't you in all your intellectual ability create a god damn great Australian television show that people will watch. why don't you cast asians in it as see how well it does. this isn't about representation it's about money you fucking China-arse kisser.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Supercharged, stop comparing 'Australian television' to 'American television'!! The differences between the two populations has already been stated - their market is significantly larger than ours, which permits for American shows to have 'minority group' actors without reducing ratings and profits.

Also, the majority of our TV programs on commercial stations ARE American. Therefore, not only do we have a smaller population and thus smaller raw numbers of minority groups, but less Australian made shows, which also minimises the relative chance of having Asian (or other racial minorities) in leading roles.

Alternatively, maybe Asians can't act for shit.

HSC
supercharged said:
I'm not suggesting compulsory affirmative action like a quota in the TV industry by the government. I'm saying the media itself should have some fairness in casting.

If there are significant populations of people from a minority group then commercial TV scripts should not be written to pretend they don't exist. Heck sexual orientation minorities like gays have representation why shouldn't racial groups have representation too?
Oh yeh, I thought of another asian. Have you watched SBS news? HAW HAW :D HAW HAW HAW :D HAWWW damn that women cracks me up. Yep, bring on the asians alright! :D HAWWW HAHA

hYperTrOphY said:
Supercharged, stop comparing 'Australian television' to 'American television'!!
I think it's clear that supercharged wants us to become more American-like. She must have a fascination with the USA, and so she thinks we should model our services etc. on them.

Now back to laughing at the asian SBS news reader women...

HAW HAW HAHAHA HAWWWW :d HAW LOL! hawwww ! HA!

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
well, it used to happen alot in primary school, i was one of the kids who told everyone to stick it and talked back at everyone if they ever said somethin...but there were some other kids who were treated really badly, and couldnt do nothin about it and jus cried n shit, it was so slack, i think when you're a child it's worse though.

K

katie_tully

I have white skin and dark hair, I have blue eyes and I speak with an Australian accent..

And I've been racially abused by those of Aboriginal heritage. And I use that term loosely, because they were more white than me.

Does that count?

K

katie_tully

Honestly supercharged, Australia is Australia, not fkn China. If China is so god damn good, do us a favour and move there already.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
supercharged said:
You're an idiot.

There are significant amounts of asians in Australia. Show me the significant minority groups of black and white people in china or asian countries?

I'm saying tv should represent the wider community. If the community is all white, then all white tv stars. If all black, then all black tv stars. If all asian, then all asian tv stars. If a significant mixture of races, then a mixture of different race tv stars.

If the community comprises a mixture of races yet media portrays only one race to the absense of others, then it is implict racism. You obviously lack the brain cells to understand this simple concept. :rolleyes:

kthxbye
You keep telling us that there is a significant asian minority.

Provide us the links, the statistics and the numbers.

Let me start you off:

http://www.crc.nsw.gov.au/statistics/Sect1/Table1p07Aust.pdf
As of the 2001 Census, the ancestry of people as a percentage of the Australian population is:

Australians: 35.9%
English: 33.9%
Irish: 10.2%
Italian: 4.3%
German: 4.0%
Scottish: 2.9%
Greek: 2.0%

Chinese: 3.0%
Vietnamese: 0.8%
Filipino: 0.7%
Japanese: 0.2%

Do you really think that's a significant enough number for media networks to consider devoting money to?

You sir are the idiot.

kthxbaiddglhf

Last edited:
HSC
katie_tully said:
I have white skin and dark hair, I have blue eyes and I speak with an Australian accent..

And I've been racially abused by those of Aboriginal heritage. And I use that term loosely, because they were more white than me.

Does that count?
I don't think so, racism is all about whether people with the same coloured skin are on tv or not!

K

katie_tully

Asian's totally have a majority. In concentrated areas of Sydney...those populations pander out once you reach the western suburbs, and then once you get out here if there are double numbers of Asian's in rural communities, you're doing well.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Phanatical said:
Problem is, they look for discrimination where it doesn't exist. Women who think they're disadvantaged because they don't have dicks. Gay-identifying people who think they're disadvantaged because nobody else is gay. But the commonality among most of these people is that they are, for the most part, white (or at least european-descendant).

Being of Chinese descent, I'm tempted to say that yes, I've faced racism in society. Hell, I'll even use it in a debate if I think it'll get me leverage. But the fact is that the I've only faced racism twice in my twenty years. Twelve years ago, when a bunch of lebs wanted to beat me up (they regretted it, because as we all know, all asians know the Martial arts), and ten years ago, when I had a racist teacher. And she was just pissed off because I was smarter than her. Other than that, I've felt pretty much a part of the Aussie community.
Sorry. I just have to laugh at the mental image of the slightly portly phanatical showing some lebos whose boss with hyper Asian martial arts skillz.

How did you know that your teacher was racist? Or perhaps you are searching for discrimination? Just asking. I'm don't know the facts of that.

supercharged said:
I think the local media is totally racist. Every local tv program and tv star in Australia is 99.99% anglo. I never see any asian main characters or asian celebs in Australian entertainment media.
Australia is still an Anglo centric society. Asian people are not conceived of as cool as of yet. As such shows which attempt to attract the mainstream are cast as white, since, well, mainstream Australia is majority anglo. For example home and Away seem to reflect the white Australia policy. This is the perception of Australia overseas. This is what sells the show overseas. No one wants to see Asians at summer bay. This isn’t overt racism it’s just merely implied. And in any case there are not many Asian surfers anyways, much too busy studying.

supercharged said:
Compared with America they have much more representation for their black minority such as black tv shows or black celebrities such as 'my wife and kids', 'opah winfrey show', 'cosby show' 'fresh prince of bel air', celebs such as Will Smith, Usher, Oprah, Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington, Snoop Dogg, Halle Berry etc
I’m not much of a fan of all white and all black shows. But then again I’m not really an expert on American cultural norms. For my experience of the US the Mind west of America seems very wary of the blacks (again my perception). The West and east coasts seem much less suspicious of the blacks.

I always remember our tour guide in Detroit when passing the black fist on the road in.

'And this is the black fist of Detroit...whatever that is meant to mean'

AsyLum said:
Mainstream media DOES have asian representation.
Check SBS or ABC, they feature asian reporters as well as other 'minorities.
I don’t think the ABC and SBS are considered mainstream. Many people I know groan when they hear any mention of SBS.
AsyLum said:
Children shows such as Hi-5 or Play School? Home and Away had the racism forum with the Chinese lady. Neighbours had the half kiwi, half chinese. Radio features several australians of asian descent.
Perhaps Hi Five is the only show I know on mainstream commercial TV that includes a person that is clearly Asian. Playschool and anything on SBS doesn’t count. Mainstream Australia doesn’t watch either of those channels.

I mean Pauline Hanson was a ‘star’ on channel 7’s Dancing with the stars. Doesn’t that tell you something about
mainstream racial broadcasting values?

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
erawamai said:
I mean Pauline Hanson was a ‘star’ on channel 7’s Dancing with the stars. Doesn’t that tell you something about
mainstream racial broadcasting values?
I hardly believe that to be representative of the racial mainstream broadcasting values when the commercial networks have no obligation to be reeled into minority concepts. They are businesses, not cultural watchdogs. The fact there is a minority of asians in Australia means that if they were to divert a significant proportion of programming towards a niche market, they would lose out on the majority/mainstream.

Its quite simple really. The creation of both the ABC and SBS was done in light of this, and i think the SBS has done a splendid job of maintaining the charter and position as the multicultural ethnic channel whilst steadily improving its programming and professionalism.

HSC
AsyLum said:
As of the 2001 Census, the ancestry of people as a percentage of the Australian population is:

hey, i have a question. when it says "Australians" up there, does it mean "Australian citizens" (in which case the definition would encompass citizens of any background/race i.e asian australians, irish australians, greek australians.... etc.)? This would also imply that "Chinese", "Vietnamese", etc., means Chinese, etc citizens living in Australia (which does not cover Chinese, etc australian citizens). Thanx :)

HSC
midnight_magick said:
hey, i have a question. when it says "Australians" up there, does it mean "Australian citizens" (in which case the definition would encompass citizens of any background/race i.e asian australians, irish australians, greek australians.... etc.)? This would also imply that "Chinese", "Vietnamese", etc., means Chinese, etc citizens living in Australia (which does not cover Chinese, etc australian citizens). Thanx :)
I have no idea what the hell you're asking, but it's census data, think about it and it should be fairly obvious who this encompasses.

HSC
when i was younger i couldnt speak english properly because i learnt greek only at home, and even though my parents where forking out $50 an hour for a tutor to teach me english, my primary school (lugarno) wanted to kick me out or send me away because i "didn't fit in". the teachers there also hated anyone who didn't act uniformly to everyone else. i hope that school and its teachers (minus the students) burns down and they all die

supercharged

HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
You keep telling us that there is a significant asian minority.

Provide us the links, the statistics and the numbers.

Let me start you off:

http://www.crc.nsw.gov.au/statistics/Sect1/Table1p07Aust.pdf

Do you really think that's a significant enough number for media networks to consider devoting money to?

You sir are the idiot.

kthxbaiddglhf
35.9% are 'Australian' by ancestry? What do they define as Australian ancestry? Born in Australia? I sure as hell don't see 35.9% Aboriginal population in the public realm. :rolleyes:

How does the census calculate the number of asians in Australia? Just those born overseas? How about those born here and those who speak english as a first language?

At least in urban areas asians are a sizeable minority. If you think asians aren't under-represented by the Australian media in general then you're just delusional and blind. And non-representation IS discrimination. Same as the US in the 1950's when no blacks were on tv.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
supercharged said:
35.9% are 'Australian' by ancestry? What do they define as Australian ancestry? Born in Australia? I sure as hell don't see 35.9% Aboriginal population in the public realm. :rolleyes:

How does the census calculate the number of asians in Australia? Just those born overseas? How about those born here and those who speak english as a first language?

At least in urban areas asians are a sizeable minority. If you think asians aren't under-represented by the Australian media in general then you're just delusional and blind. And non-representation IS discrimination. Same as the US in the 1950's when no blacks were on tv.
Ok.

Im not arguing with an idiot any longer.

If you even bothered to have a fucking look at the link i posted you would see, that

19 Australian Aboriginal 94,950 0.5 0.4
99 Australian South Sea Islander 3,442 0.0 0.0

are also included in the census.

Furthermore, the census is based on responses to ancestry, which means the lineage, rather than citizenship. Again LEARN TO FUCKING READ YOU STUPID GOOK.

"At least in urban areas asians are a sizeable minority. If you think asians aren't under-represented by the Australian media in general then you're just delusional and blind. And non-representation IS discrimination. Same as the US in the 1950's when no blacks were on tv."

So now were restricting it to urban areas? What next? If you look at cabramatta they are definitely a majority don't you think? Why don't we allocate a channel because of that?

No one is saying they are under-represented, we are telling you, that they are under-represented because they are a minority, GET WITH THE FUCKING PROGRAM.

Non-representation is discrimination, you having a computer is technological discrimination, you being able to speak english is liguistic discrimination.

Stop throwing discrimination around like its a fucking normal term. It comes with its own evident contexts, bias, and connotations which could change with time and place. You have said that because commercial TV representation of asians is under-represented, that it is discrimination. I have argued, that it is a discrimination, and one which follows business and economic factors as much as it does social factors. But unlike your insinuations that its an institutional concept, i have illustrated that there are other factors which run commercial broadcasters, moreso than cultural or social obligations. That is the governments area, not private companies.

Unlike the US, there is NO explicit rules, nor are there boundaries for people to get into places, thats what the anti-discrimination act serves to do. If you are discriminated against by age, sex, race, or otherwise, there are relevant avenues to pursue particularly in a professional industry.

You have presented nothing but some typical asian vs the world dribble, without statistics, with nothing more than hearsay and hypothesis.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)