• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

question about jobs (1 Viewer)

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
Hey there,

I will be doing my HSC this year. I was thinking of doing Actuarial Studies, and have decided to find out more about the courses I am interested in. I contacted Flyin', but then found this thread and decided I might as well ask everyone, since there are obviously people who know about this course here.

Anyway, my FIRST and MAIN question is this:
Will I be able to find a job NOT related to Interest Rates? hehe :) wierd question, isn't it? Thing is, I know Actuarial Studies is looking at long term Risk, more or less, but my religion doesn't allow me to deal with interest in anyway. Call it wierd, but its how it is.

So is it possible?

Thanks for your time.
S

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
mmm

Will I be able to find a job NOT related to Interest Rates?
Most definitely. What do you mean related to interest rates, btw?

The work you do won't be directly related to interest rates, however you may have to use interest rates from time to time if you are doing mainstream finance or insurance which probably accounts for where most actuaries end up.

There are areas where actuarial expertise are employed in other than financial (or insurance) areas, although I can't list them off the top of my head, unfortunately.
Not related to interest rates. By that I mean a job in which I will not be dealing with interest rates in any way or form. Not even signing contracts that set an interest rate. Yeah, I know, its kinda strange.

There are areas where actuarial expertise are employed in other than financial (or insurance) areas
Ook, I'll have to research that. :)

Apart from that, a couple of friends I have who are doing acturial studies have told me that it is not possible to study for the course. You either get it or you don't. According to them, its mostly natural ability, and if you aren't a mathematical genius who loves permutations/combinations, you will fail, just like more than 50% of the canditure. Is this true? :(

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
ahhh guardian ur thinking of actuarial 2 eh!!!cool
i didnt know that yalll couldnt b involved with interest rates...i know ur religion is strict, but not that strict...y is lyk that, ask ur parents

Toby

hmm..
hey man, if your trying to scare off actuarial students, it's working!
I totally hate permutations and combinations
but heard it was more based around probability/time payments/caculus/3U maths when I attended the open day

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
mmmm

Supra, my religion is quite strict. :) and no, we aren't allowed to deal with interest rates. We aren't allowed to take interest, give interest, authorise interest or be involved in interest. I mean, we can study interest rates, nothing wrong with that, but not be actually involved in the actual money lending process (or whatever).

ta, flyin', your a great help. :) hehe, now I don't need to go around sending emails to god knows who. ^_^

bong

HSC
so does anyone in your religion have a bank account?

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
umph!

Yes, people in my religion have banks. People do it differently, but some people just give as charity whatever interest they recieve. After all, as you have very correctly implied, bank is a need in our world.

And depending on how strictly a person follows my religion (aka depending on IF you follow my religion) we are not allowed to take loans off banks . . . we bought a house without taking a loan from a bank. In fact, we (people of my religion) have set up a bank which doesn't give/take interest. :)

bong

HSC
nominal interest rate... something along the lines of whether the cup is half full or half empty...

actuary jobs are emerging in other sectors, guy at co-op interview kept on saying stuff about health and energy... but it'll still take a while

bong

HSC
dole-bludging, not something one would usually be proud of ;), i wouldnt call it an occupation, more like an activity :p

bong

HSC
lol, we're heading a bit off topic... just a bit :D

so guardian! by all means consider acst!

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
oo k. Thanks for the help, really appreciate it. :)

BTW, my religion isn't really all that strict. If one lives in a country like Australia then one can make allowances. eg, HECS, if it does involve interest, I'd be allowed to use it cause its a necessity, i can't really do uni without it, can i?

Anyway, thanks alot. If I have anymore questions I'll be sure to turn the friendly staff here. :)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
only 20k for four yrs!?!?! thats alrite then, 5k a yr, then i wont need as high a uai nemore
:p ;) damn i doubt my dad would wanna pay upfront for my uni tho

wait a minute r u sure its 20k, isnt it all rising ?

bong

HSC
i thought maq didnt offer local full fee

that 5k/yr is hecs up front, so u still need the high uai

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
The religion is Islam. :)
Bet you didn't expect that. heheh

and i really don't have 20k up my unmentionables. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)