• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Question about choosing a job (1 Viewer)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
wuddie said:
girls, don't get annoyed just because i didn't work at maccas or kfc. why the hate? i am just speaking my mind. let's face it, maccas virtually takes in anyone who is not handicapped, so try bragging that to your future employers and let's see how impressed they are.

alright, here's a constructive advice, choose a job you know you'd enjoy. if you're only doing it for the cash, the hours will seem like years. if you like your clothes, then just jeans and jay jeys are for you; if you like scanning stuff, go for checkouts; if you love to talk, telemarketing; if you like your sports, come to scg/sfs and join the crew.

and if you like to be a "prick", as lizakith and ciel can testify, just do what i do and speak your mind.
^ i agree with this in theory but you don't always have the luxury of choosing. when you need money, you take what you can get. you're only looking for extra money, not a rewarding career, so if the only job going is a burger-jockey at maccas, then you do it. also afaik most employers do look favourably on previous maccas employees. obviously if you were going for a graduate position with some bigshot company you won't be doing yourself any favours but we're talking part time casual work here. i doubt coles is going to look down at you for it.

Lizakith

Go go gadget spleen!
HSC
wuddie said:
girls, don't get annoyed just because i didn't work at maccas or kfc. why the hate? i am just speaking my mind. let's face it, maccas virtually takes in anyone who is not handicapped, so try bragging that to your future employers and let's see how impressed they are.

alright, here's a constructive advice, choose a job you know you'd enjoy. if you're only doing it for the cash, the hours will seem like years. if you like your clothes, then just jeans and jay jeys are for you; if you like scanning stuff, go for checkouts; if you love to talk, telemarketing; if you like your sports, come to scg/sfs and join the crew.

and if you like to be a "prick", as lizakith and ciel can testify, just do what i do and speak your mind.
You are speaking your mind in a manner which is detrimental to others. What if someone nabs themselves a first job at maccas and is proud of themselves? Do you propose that they shouldn't be just because maccas 'virtually takes in anyone who is not handicapped'?
Pride in a job, I believe, leads to an eagerness to do that job well. No matter what it is, feeling like you're doing your best at your job is one of the best feelings I know of.
First jobs generally mean you don't get much choice in what you end up doing, you try everything, which is how you end up being able to pick and choose later in life. So don't be so down on fast food jobs, they might just lead to something big for someone.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
wuddie said:
if you're only doing it for the cash, the hours will seem like years.
Last I heard my area had over 30% youth unemployment. You don't get to choose. Stfu.

Last edited:

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
Graney said:
Last I heard my area had over 30% youth unemployment. You don't get to choose. Stfu.
youth unemployment? who do you account for as youth? if you are talking about dependant (ie. living off the parents) minors, i don't see the need (ie. absolutely necessary) to get a job. the last time i checked, aust's demand for labour is on the up, so get out of your "area" and stop using it as an excuse.

look, i agree with the fact that everyone has to start somewhere. nobody ever gets to the top on the first go. but i refuse to believe that maccas is the only job going around, if you really apply yourself and tried to look for a better job. in my opinion, maccas and kfc are the easy way out (or in) for the first timers. if you really think you can do better than maccas and you try hard enough, you will find one. but if you feel maccas is good enough for you (at least for the time being), then good for you, it is your life and you do as you wish.

i only post to express my opinion, yet i feel when my opinions are not being agreed upon, there is this personal attack. must we all agree with each other? then what the hell is the point of a discussion?

J

jhakka

1. If you're 16 or 17 in an area with poor public transport and parents who would, understandably, not be too trilled at possibly half an hour to drop their kid to work, half an hour home, and then repeating for picking them up... actually forget that. If you want a job, forget about your other circumstances (schooling, transport or lack thereof, effect on others in your household) and do something ridiculously inconvenient because anything else is the easy way out.

2. McDonalds is certainly not the only job going around, but it does have a very good reputation with regards to teamwork, etc., especially when people are going for other part time or casual work in an area such as fast food or retail (which most students will end up in throughout their school and university lives because it works well with regards to their other circumstances). But wait... Drop out of your degree and find something else, because no one should work in fast food (ignoring the fact that plenty of people eat it, which means that someone should work there so they can continue to do so).

3. When you're just getting by as a high school or university student (I'm talking about one who is living at home), it gets to a point where you want your own money rather than asking parents for it all the time. It's a kind of "paying the bills" mentality, where you're doing what you can to get by in a social sense (usually) while working towards something else (presumably through high school or completing a degree). Actually... just give up your social life, since you're just being lazy by taking a job that's convenient and allows you to have that bit of financial freedom that you want.

In short, I completely agree with wuddie, despite all logic that suggests that I shouldn't.

Lizakith

Go go gadget spleen!
HSC
jhakka said:
1. If you're 16 or 17 in an area with poor public transport and parents who would, understandably, not be too trilled at possibly half an hour to drop their kid to work, half an hour home, and then repeating for picking them up... actually forget that. If you want a job, forget about your other circumstances (schooling, transport or lack thereof, effect on others in your household) and do something ridiculously inconvenient because anything else is the easy way out.

2. McDonalds is certainly not the only job going around, but it does have a very good reputation with regards to teamwork, etc., especially when people are going for other part time or casual work in an area such as fast food or retail (which most students will end up in throughout their school and university lives because it works well with regards to their other circumstances). But wait... Drop out of your degree and find something else, because no one should work in fast food (ignoring the fact that plenty of people eat it, which means that someone should work there so they can continue to do so).

3. When you're just getting by as a high school or university student (I'm talking about one who is living at home), it gets to a point where you want your own money rather than asking parents for it all the time. It's a kind of "paying the bills" mentality, where you're doing what you can to get by in a social sense (usually) while working towards something else (presumably through high school or completing a degree). Actually... just give up your social life, since you're just being lazy by taking a job that's convenient and allows you to have that bit of financial freedom that you want.

In short, I completely agree with wuddie, despite all logic that suggests that I shouldn't.
Marry me?

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
wuddie said:

scg? you got a job there? i tried their site but it says u need min 1 yr experience in a cust service position

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Lizakith said:
Marry me?
seconded. especially re: point 1. there are several jobs i'd love to do but don't apply for because getting to them would be nearly impossible given that i don't have my licence. granted, i live in the frigging sticks, but it would only be marginally less difficult if i lived closer to the city. so i take what's going, and so do loads of other people.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
You make some good points, I guess I just don't really see working in fast food as the end of the world like you do Wuddie. I would always choose the most convenient job possible. I enjoy hard work, and that in itself is reward enough from any job.

Getting out of my area really wouldn't be worth it. Central coast is too isolated. Satisfaction of sweet job < additional hassle from having to commute an hour and back each day for ~$20 an hour.

Last edited:

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yeah, people don't always have a convenient location for a job. For example, I had to start working at a chemist in Edgecliff (and I live in Lindfield) and only because a friend was working there and mentioned my name. There was no chemist along the North Shore line that needed or required me, and I couldn't wait just to get a job near me--I'd rather travel and get the experience, and when I'm more experienced look for a closer job nearby. I was lucky because I had the option of public transport, and there's relatively good trains on both the North Shore and Eastern Suburbs lines (every 10-15 minutes or so, and they always align with about 5 minutes to spare). When they stopped giving me shifts, I still had no choice (because I hadn't gotten my red Ps yet) but to find work at where I currently am, Bondi Junction. So you can't always pick. And what about those people who have to commute to the city every day because they work at some company that is located only in the city? And that's their careers--they'll be doing this for the next 40-50 years!

People say Maccas ex-employees are highly looked upon due to their training, and anyway, even if it wasn't, someone has to start somewhere and you rarely get a choice of first job.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Graney said:
Getting out of my area really wouldn't be worth it. Central coast is too isolated. Satisfaction of sweet job < additional hassle from having to commute an hour and back each day for ~$20 an hour.
yeah, the way i see it is that whatever it costs me to get to and from work each day, i have to be making at least double that per hour, or it's not worth my time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)