• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Question about choosing a job (1 Viewer)

Ninho

HSC
Hey guys, I'm now in the market for a casual job, one of your mundane Maccas/Coles ones, and I have about a ~3 month window to work - so naturally I'd like to fit in as much as possible.

My questions are - which employer would be able to get me working the soonest? I don't want to spend a month waiting for them to get back to me, so the quicker they're able to accommodate me the better. And secondly, which pay the best/are the most enjoyable? I know it would vary, particularly with the latter, but just a general idea would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Ninho said:
Hey guys, I'm now in the market for a casual job, one of your mundane Maccas/Coles ones, and I have about a ~3 month window to work - so naturally I'd like to fit in as much as possible.

My questions are - which employer would be able to get me working the soonest? I don't want to spend a month waiting for them to get back to me, so the quicker they're able to accommodate me the better. And secondly, which pay the best/are the most enjoyable? I know it would vary, particularly with the latter, but just a general idea would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Too much thought for what I take will be a 3 month job. Look for whatever is available and take what you can get.

Ninho

HSC
Indeed, but I've heard about some people waiting months before getting their first shift. Does anyone know an employer which would get me going straight away?

lala2

Banned
HSC
The holiday recruitment period is well over. However, try calling up or visiting your local store and asking to speak to the manager or person in charge. It's easier if there's an ad to specifically respond to. Otherwise, if not, what about something like telemarketing, or a fast food place? They're usually pretty desperate for people and will hire you almost straight away.

Ninho

HSC
lala2 said:
The holiday recruitment period is well over. However, try calling up or visiting your local store and asking to speak to the manager or person in charge. It's easier if there's an ad to specifically respond to. Otherwise, if not, what about something like telemarketing, or a fast food place? They're usually pretty desperate for people and will hire you almost straight away.
Yeah, I am open to any field of work... in fact, a fast food place would probably be ideal. So your Subways/Maccas/KFC would pretty much take me straight away? I want to work for as much of this 3 month period as possible.

Pr0digy

Veritas Lux Mea
HSC
Umm I applied to Maccas and KFC not too long ago and they rejected me pretty quickly :( I think it's kos I'm 18...

HSC
I guess its different for all stores and whatever, but a KFC store nearby doesn't even conduct interviews. You walk in, asking for an application, and instead they give you an Induction package and get you to start the next day. I understand that its different everywhere, but many fast food stores are desperate for staff, so they might be your best option.

CieL

HSC
Dont bother with coles..
If you wanted work during the xmas holidays, you should of applied half a year in advance when they were recruiting xmas casuals.
They dont wait for you and they've stocked up on a billion casuals over xmas already.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
ok, pause. why maccas and kfc? why not some other job which pays way better and not such a bitch of a job?

not trying to sound cocky, but i get jobs so easily, it makes me wonder why anyone would ever want to work for maccas or kfc or any of those fast food places. the 2 places i work for are both looking for people and they are pretty gun jobs.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
wuddie said:
ok, pause. why maccas and kfc? why not some other job which pays way better and not such a bitch of a job?

not trying to sound cocky, but i get jobs so easily, it makes me wonder why anyone would ever want to work for maccas or kfc or any of those fast food places. the 2 places i work for are both looking for people and they are pretty gun jobs.
then what r they.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
wuddie said:

yeah but sometimes you don't really have a choice, given what's available. in my local area atm it's either retail/fast food, or picking mushrooms, basically. there arent many jobs outside of those categories for teenagers/part timers/students etc. i'd rather work at kfc or maccas than come home everyday smelling like a mushroom farm if it came to that. luckily for me i've got a summer job lined up so i don't have to make that choice but yeah it's not always as easy as it's been for you

Ninho

HSC
Thanks for the comments. But I'm wondering... if Maccas/KFC are such bad jobs, then what can I go for?

Right now I'm probably just going to give Maccas a shot. Nothing to lose really.

CieL

HSC
They're not "bad" jobs.

Who the fuck cares what you're doing as long as you're earning money and you like what you do.
Quit listening to people who have their head stuck up their ass and think they're better than everyone else.

As long as YOU think there is no problem, then there is none.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Agree with Ciel, if you want some cash, then go and get it. Dont be picky, its not like you're forging a career from it. Learning things along the way from it would be good, but if its just for money, then apply for a lot of places, and see where it lands you.

Im moving away from food, which I have been working in for 3 and a bit years, and trying my hand at clothing. I haven't worked there, but id say go with the golden arches. You can always find something else if you dont like it.

Last edited:

tubtub

HSC
all the large supermarket stores will have stopped recruiting so u probably have to wait till next year to even get a reply. so try small shops

actually maccas/kfc isnt bad jobs as u can learn a lot, but gets bad wrap because of feral customers and lower wage rates.

HSC
Maccas apparently has a good reputation in terms of staff training - I had some speaker speak at school on the topic of part time work and he said that people who have worked at McDonalds have a fantastic advantage when they go to apply for other jobs (part time/casual jobs i presume that is) because they have been extensively trained.

Now I haven't worked for McDonalds, and I don't know if this view is accurate, but it is something that I've heard.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
well, you can only get so good at mopping floors and dipping the fries into the oil. i am sure all maccas people are pretty much used to the pressure, but jee, no way it is worth the trouble for a crap pay.

CieL

HSC
We all start off somewhere.
Give people a break.
Sorry we're not all as good as you.
Jesus christ. Fuck.

Lizakith

Go go gadget spleen!
HSC
The more you do, the more options you have, is what I've learnt. wuddie, stop being a complete dick, and give some constructive advice for once instead of rubbishing everyone else and making it sound like you've never had to start at the bottom.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
girls, don't get annoyed just because i didn't work at maccas or kfc. why the hate? i am just speaking my mind. let's face it, maccas virtually takes in anyone who is not handicapped, so try bragging that to your future employers and let's see how impressed they are.

alright, here's a constructive advice, choose a job you know you'd enjoy. if you're only doing it for the cash, the hours will seem like years. if you like your clothes, then just jeans and jay jeys are for you; if you like scanning stuff, go for checkouts; if you love to talk, telemarketing; if you like your sports, come to scg/sfs and join the crew.

and if you like to be a "prick", as lizakith and ciel can testify, just do what i do and speak your mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)