• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Question about atar ! (1 Viewer)

PrinceAkane

HSC
Hi there :) Even though I'm quite young, I have chosen the course I want to join in the future. It requires an ATAR of 99.7. Personally, I believe that's quite high o.o
Would we have to get 99.7 or above to get into that/a course? How about if we get 99.0 or 98.9? Would they still offer to accept you?
Just a general question about ATARs and courses and such :) Thank you.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Bonus Points, if you're lucky.
Anyway you are really young, quit worrying about that stuff now.

HSC
Hi there :) Even though I'm quite young, I have chosen the course I want to join in the future. It requires an ATAR of 99.7. Personally, I believe that's quite high o.o
Would we have to get 99.7 or above to get into that/a course? How about if we get 99.0 or 98.9? Would they still offer to accept you?
Law at UNSW or med? hahah
you have 3 years until your HSC, go enjoy yourself

astroman

HSC
i'm presuming law at usyd or unsw, if so, the atar of 99.7 is the lowest any student would need to get for direct entry into the course. Other's that get below say 99 would most probably need to rely on alternate pathways. These may include bonus point for performing well in subjects, interviews, or schemes bases on where you live, etc. If you don't get into your preffered course, you can always go into another uni with a similar course and transfer later on. Anyways, you still have quite a while to be worrying about ATARs, chill while you can and also make sure you know what subjects interest you.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
You're in year 9. Just chill. You might change your mind about what courses you want to do between now and getting your HSC.

I changed my uni preferences like 6 times during year 12.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Just remember that the ATAR cut-off is the lowest ATAR of the successful applicants for the previous year.

In most cases, a university doesn't set a benchmark ATAR for a course (I believe UNSW have a minimum ~80 ATAR floor for nearly all courses though?).

PrinceAkane

HSC
Yeah, I've read about those somewhere :) I also think they give bonus points for a particular region that you live in?

Ahas, I'm just quite curious about it, because I know for selective exams and such, they might accept you if you get a lower mark than the intended

PrinceAkane

HSC
Ohhh okay, so bonus points and stuff would help boost your ATAR...
Thank you for the quick explanation :)

screwuhsc

HSC
law at uts is a bit lower like 97-98ish there fairly decent aswell but why bother now your only in yr 9 just go out and enjoy yourself now

HSC
The only bonus points that apply to these med and law courses are stuff like the elite athletes program which includes musicians and all that. However you must fit a certain criteria to get bonus marks. Med and law do not have bonus points programs in regards to getting a band 6 in certain subjects (this is for unsw and usyd). However i believe that law at macquarie is 96ish and you can get bonus points for getting a band 6 in particular subjects i think... Just do research :D you have plenty of time anyways

bongoli

HSC
The only bonus points that apply to these med and law courses are stuff like the elite athletes program which includes musicians and all that. However you must fit a certain criteria to get bonus marks. Med and law do not have bonus points programs in regards to getting a band 6 in certain subjects (this is for unsw and usyd). However i believe that law at macquarie is 96ish and you can get bonus points for getting a band 6 in particular subjects i think... Just do research :D you have plenty of time anyways
no bonus points for law anywhere m8888888888

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)