• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Pros & cons of modern history? (1 Viewer)

k_m

HSC
i just wanted 2 no wat are the pros and cons of doing modern history?????

hatty

Banned
pros. the topics i learnt were quite interesting and the source analysing and research skills i learnt were pretty good, and would be very useful for me in uni.

cons. some assignments were quite difficult and would require u (if u want to go super well like i did) to read lots and lots of books on some history topic. also, u need to have good english skills to cope with the ammount of essays that you will need to do in assignments and the HSC exams.

k_m

HSC
is it hard n boring studying 4 d exams?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
pro: simple, uncomplicated subject> just need to follow syllabus and be able to read and write English

cons: broken hands after the trials and HSC

my fav subject anyway :D

hatty

Banned
k_m said:
is it hard n boring studying 4 d exams?
if ur hoping to go really well, then studying can get boring, stuff like memorising lots of quotes for ur essays (sure they arent essential, but any good student will have quotes) and extensive reading, but if ur doing an interesting topic, then all is good, but if ur doing someone like Albert Speer, then things do inded get boring. i wouldn't say its hard, its all mostly straight foward stuff.

mewcou

Did it last year. Loved it. I wish I did as well in my other subjects as I did in modern history. My advice: Read up and have arguments. Arguments are what made me interested. Just for kicks try to justify Hiroshima...that sort of thing.

My fav subject.

P.S. Don't do in conjunction with Ancient history or english extension subjects unless you REALLY like writing essays. My hand will never be the same again.

rama_v

HSC
Pros: Easy to study for, you know what the content is, and most of it is very itneresting.
Cons: Like ppl have said, broken hands after exams, RSI from typing too many essays/assignments on the computer, a lot of reading.

Studyign isn't hard, I foudn that the best way to do things like remember quotes is to practise saying them over to a friend (you can even do this over the net). Essay writing can be fun if you get on a roll (sometimes its hard to stop! ;) )

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
mewcou said:
P.S. Don't do in conjunction with Ancient history or english extension subjects unless you REALLY like writing essays. My hand will never be the same again.
I did 3u eng and 3u history. Well, my right hand has recovered but honestly, I was just wringing my hands constantly after the exams...sigh

veridis

droog
HSC
mewcou said:
now thats depressing. 4u eng and 5u hist here. and to think they're trying to increase the written componant of phys too. i think i might apply for a writer for my last few exams. i wonder if predicted RSI is a valid reason

but seriously modern is one of the best subjects if you like the content. simple concepts, straightforward syllabus, all the topics link well if your teachers chooses smartly(and can link with the hist ext case study of apeasement too). i would highly reccomend it.
cons are as said, can be alot of reading which would be rather tedious if you didnt like the topic and will involve alot of writing

AJohnston1121

HSC
IT really depends on your tastes and what your teacher is doing.

I loved the Perlim Class we had. We mainly stuck to the Political Side of things. The Romanov's, JFK and Jack The Ripper (Thats always a favorite)

Modern History would have to be one of the most Popular subjects at our school.

This year is gunna be good. Just finishing off the WW1 part then Germany then Conflict in the Pacific. FUN :)

a8o

HSC
mewcou said:
*dies*

I have all three.

AJohnston1121

HSC
Lol. U think thats bad. I do LEgal Studies (A couple here and there) Advanced English (yeah not as much as extension but still a fair bit). Modern History, Ancient History and Extension History. I really hope they seperate my test LMAO or i'am gunna die i think.

sNiPeR_24

Fo' shizzle
HSC
I did modern history in the preliminary course and never seemed to grasp the concepts properly so I ended up dropping it for the HSC course. I still came 18th out of 41 in the assessment ranks though, so that was OK :)

mouldy_bread

HSC
Modern is good if you're willing to get really into it. You basically just have to understand what happened & why and remember quotes and its smooth sailing. Source studying gets pretty annoying though, so if you dont like that stuff, you might want to avoid modern.

* looks at subject list *

I wonder if they'd let me type up my essays on a laptop during the exam?

k_m

HSC
dese r topics i ll be studying dis yr (yr 11) hist:

- Part One: 3 depth studies covered:
- American Civil Rights
- Decolonisation in Indo China
- Fall of the Romanovs
- Part Two: The World at the Beginning of the 20th Century

AND IN YR 12 WHICH IS NXT YR I'LL BE STUDYING:

- Part 1 Core- World War One and Its Aftermath 1914-1923
- Part 2 National Study Germany
- Study of one individual in this context - Leni Riefenstahl
- Part 3 Conflict in Indo China 1954-1979

wat do you think of the above topics? r dey interesting or a most of em borin?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)