• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Prelim Textbook Question?? Conqering Chem, Jacaranda or Chem in Context?? (1 Viewer)

Rohanco

HSC
I am looking to get a preliminary HSC textbook for yr11 Chemistry but I don't know which of the big 3 popular books to get; Conquering Chemistry 1, Jacaranda Chem prelim 1, or Chemistry in Contexts 1??

Theres alot of talk on this site about which HSC book is better from the 3 titles, but nothing on which one has the better Preliminary book.

I hear with the HSC books that conquering has some detail and is good at sticking more to the syllabus, JACARANDA is quite good but has a bit of extra info that's not in the syllabus, and CONTEXTS is really good if your a smart student because it has so much extra info that's not on the syllabus, is this true of the PRELIM books???

home-schooler

HSC
Hey,
These are my views on the chemistry textbooks.
For preliminary chemistry, they are all quite equal to one another and follow the syllabus like they should
-Conquering chemistry has good explanations and is quite easy to follow. The information is quite basic and doesnt go into alot of detail, which can be good and bad. for example, when you get stuck on something you have to research it elsewhere to finally understand the concept, which can be time consuming. Most say that this is the book to get... cant say thats true! (gonna get hammered for that!)
-Jacaranda chem 1 is like conquering chem but with a bit more detail and maybe a bit better structured... I found that it was a great book that should not be overlooked as many do.
-Chemistry contexts is as you said, a bit more informative with quite alot of reading and not as much pics and tables that make it fun to read, lol. The only problem i have with chem contexts is that there are no answeres to the questions, at the back of the book. Rather, their on the accompanying CD which can get a bit annoying. Take that into account if you are buying a second hand book without a CD. A good thing about the book would be the 'Key Points' at the end of each chapter, which can act as studynotes.

In conclusion
They are all equal in my eyes, but a good teacher and some good study notes are just as good allong with maybe an Excel or Macquarie revision guide for exam times.

fionarykim

HSC
i use conquering chem because i think its pretty amazing
chemistry in context is alittle :l for me

conquering chem has everything set out really well with explanations to questions and everything
also prettier book too :p HHAHA

starshine02

HSC
Conquering Chem has good exercises to do but I think the explanations are a little too simple.
Jacaranda Chem has a lot more information and pictures and stuff so I prefer that one.
Haven't used Chem in Context but I've flicked through it and it seems a bit excessive but some people prefer that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)