• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Predictions for Chemistry 2014 HSC? (4 Viewers)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Dude you should be ahead of us all and get a higher mark then all of us.

Idk about anyone else but my mentality for those who accelerate is that they should blitz the subject.

Year 11 is a bludge. You have a whole year to prep for 1 subject.

Meanwhile in year 12, you have at least 4 other subjects.
Yeah and SSH is doing 14 units, so you don't get to complain about 2.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
why would you do 14 units -_______-
I couldn't identify one that I hated or that was my worst (aside from English, and I needed the four units because for some reason my marks are loads higher in EE1 and 2 than in advanced, and so I'd rather advanced didn't go toward my ATAR). I considered dropping chem but my teacher wouldn't sign the form, and even if I'm not that great at it I do like it.

zhertec

HSC
I'm just scared that I can't achieve a band 6 in chem due to low ranking internal D: and I'm still wondering if it were even possible >.<

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I'm just scared that I can't achieve a band 6 in chem due to low ranking internal D: and I'm still wondering if it were even possible >.<
What's your rank? And most of your class will be studying for loads of exams in this time period, you only have chem, that's a huge advantage and so you should be able to move up externally quite significantly.

HSC
I couldn't identify one that I hated or that was my worst (aside from English, and I needed the four units because for some reason my marks are loads higher in EE1 and 2 than in advanced, and so I'd rather advanced didn't go toward my ATAR). I considered dropping chem but my teacher wouldn't sign the form, and even if I'm not that great at it I do like it.
Do you also do 4u math?

QZP

HSC
She feels as though it requires too much "memory" of formulas

zhertec

HSC
What's your rank? And most of your class will be studying for loads of exams in this time period, you only have chem, that's a huge advantage and so you should be able to move up externally quite significantly.
My ranked for trials was like 60/108 I think, so that was pretty disappointing...yea I guess I should be studying much harder, though I tend to procrastinate quite a bit, especially in these holidays lol. At least I'll know not to do that in year 12 (hopefully).

SuchSmallHands

HSC
She feels as though it requires too much "memory" of formulas
You're a creeper haha, but yes, I do feel like HSC mathematics puts excessive emphasis on rote learning formulae which detracts from it's ability to effectively assess how good someone is at actually using them.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
My ranked for trials was like 60/108 I think, so that was pretty disappointing...yea I guess I should be studying much harder, though I tend to procrastinate quite a bit, especially in these holidays lol. At least I'll know not to do that in year 12 (hopefully).
Still have loads of time, depending on your school 60/108 might even be pretty good in comparison with the rest of the state (my year has 17 chem students..)

HSC
A 0.2845 g sample of impure sodium carbonate required 24.65 mL of an HCl solution for
titration. A 0.2204 g sample of pure sodium carbonate required 20.06 mL of the HCl solution
of the same concentration.
What is the percentage of sodium carbonate in the sample?

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
A 0.2845 g sample of impure sodium carbonate required 24.65 mL of an HCl solution for
titration. A 0.2204 g sample of pure sodium carbonate required 20.06 mL of the HCl solution
of the same concentration.
What is the percentage of sodium carbonate in the sample?
99.95%

QZP

HSC
You're a creeper haha, but yes, I do feel like HSC mathematics puts excessive emphasis on rote learning formulae which detracts from it's ability to effectively assess how good someone is at actually using them.
I'm sure any good math student would assert that less emphasis on rote learning and more emphasis on understanding and deriving the formulas is a lot more beneficial. Isn't that why logical students are better than rote students at math? (I don't see any bio people doing well in 4U as a massive generalisation lol)

Pshh and you think chem is logical har har

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)