• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Powerplay Related Texts (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

poodoorfan

hey, i stupidly only started looking for related texts for powerplay last week, really, REALLY bad idea, but anyway, i know there are lots of posts going round on related texts, but if anyone has any ideas for some good ones????

i was thinking of fight club (Movie not book), animal farm and possibly harry potter and the order of the phoenix.

if anyone has any info like quotes, or notes on these texts or any ideas for other texts, that'd be great. I know everyone is busy with their own stuff and it's my own fault for leaving it so late but any help would be sooooo good

thanks heaps

Isenduil

HSC
Fight Club

I used Fight Club for my trials. It's good if you can put a gender powerplay spin on it, (there's no women in Fight Club itself, and concentrate on the way women are represented) the dynamics of male power relations, the fact that Fight Club enforces the primal masculine qualities of men etc. etc. This in itself provides a type of gender powerplay in that Tyler excludes the feminine sex. It suggests that there's too much maternal influence in society which makes men "weaker" and support that by quoting Tyler: "We're a generation raised by women. I'm wondering if another woman is what we really need." It also plays on male insecurities - castration is alluded to - which suggests the dynamics of male power relations.

Fight Club is a dark movie in which without all the blood and struggle, it would be impossible to show the effects of loss of personal power. Don't forget to mention specific techniques eg. flashback, soundtrack to support your argument.

I used Star Wars as well, but Fight Club was what you were after, so there you go.

11 days hehe

poodoorfan

fight club

thanks so much, i saw the movie a while ago so don't remembre evry detail but thats helped heaps.
thanks

nwatts

HSC
Wow, yeah. Fight Club could be a brilliant powerplay text. I will watch it tonight!!

I use Rage against the Machine's "Bullet in the Head" - as it works brilliantly alongside 1984. I'll also use Shakespeare's "Othello" which works well on the same level as Fight Club would.

Isenduil

HSC
Took me ages to dig up that info in preparation for the trials hehe. Good luck with it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)