• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

power definition (1 Viewer)

Sarah_Lou

hsc ova
HSC
does anyone know any good definitions for power and powerplay? i know all the generic ones like the ability to control, and the effect of unequal realtions etc...
but does anyone know any others? ones that sound a bit different to the usual?

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Lol Alan, I'm on the same HMAS-Screwed ship as you. Haven't started studying the modules yet either....

Here are 2 power definitions re/ A+C from my carpet notes I found:

- the most powerful men are not public men: a public man is responsible and a responsible man is a slave. [i.e. slave to the slippery populace/power resides in the people reference] It is a private life that governs the world - B. Disraeli
- Power, much like nature abhors both a vacuum and an inert equipoise; as Ant explains to Cleo by way of justifying his departure 'equality of two domestic powers/breeds scrupulous faction.'

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
This is my understanding of powerplay to this point- Powerplay exists within all human discourse and is most potent when there is a dominant participant asserting influence upon those disempowered. All representation, that is way we create meaning in society reflect various interplays of power. All humans are powerplayers and by extrapolation are political by virtue of a point of view by which they construct reality.

I love Module C

WW/Malouf can just go die though

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
I don't love this module, but it defintiely beats the other two hands down. *grumbles about school picking feminist texts*

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Sarah_Lou said:
does anyone know any good definitions for power and powerplay? i know all the generic ones like the ability to control, and the effect of unequal realtions etc...
but does anyone know any others? ones that sound a bit different to the usual?
have a look at some quote websites - i found that they had some gems regarding definitions of power and powerplay...

www.quoteland.com is a really good site - you have to sift through the austin powers quotes but there are some really good ones there.

i'll see if i can find a couple of good ones and i'll post them up

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?p=1929551#post1929551 (link to threat started with powerplay quotes)

Last edited:

Sarah_Lou

hsc ova
HSC
666_blessings - i like your views on chocolate! and my school likes feminist texts too, and doing feminist readings! i hate them!

Miss Savage - thankyou so much, you have been so much help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)