• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Possession (1 Viewer)

dissipate

HSC
N/A
the parts i don't understand are in red..

Jeffries v Great Western Ry. Co

Lord Campbell: "I am of the opinion that the law is that a person possessed of goods as his property has a good title as against every stranger, and that one who takes them from him, having no title in himself, is a wrongdoer, and cannot defend himself by shewing that there was title in some third person, for against a wrongdoer possession is title..."

---does this mean that the wrongdoer cannot defend himself by bringing a third party into the picture or something like that? what's "possession is title"?

The "Winkfield"

Collins M.R.: "Therefore it is not open to the defendant, being a wrongdoer, to inquire into the nature or limitation of the possessor's right, and unless it is competent for him to do so the question of his relation to, or liability towards, the true owner cannot come into the discussion at all, and, therefore, as between those two parties full damages have to be paid without any further inquiry. The extent of the liability of the finder to the true owner not being relevant to the discussion between him and the wrongdoer, the facts which would ascertain it would not have been admissible in evidence, and therefore the right of the finder to recover full damages cannot be made to depend upon the extent of his liability over to the true owner. To hold otherwise would, it seems to me, be in effect to permit a wrongdoer to set up a jus tertii under which he cannot claim. But if this be the fact in case of a finder, why should it not be equally the fact in the case of a bailee? Why, as against a wrongdoer, should the nature of the plaintiff's interest in the thing converted be any more relevant to the inquiry , and therefore admissible in evidence, than in the case of a finder?"

---1)why's it not open to the defendant to inquire into the nature etc.?
2) why can't the true owner come into the discussion at all?
3) and what does that whole big blob of red mean?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: what does this mean?

Possession is title. This means that whoever has possession of goods has a right against the whole world to those goods, except someone with a better claim.

For example, I find a laptop on the ground. I pick it up and now have possession of it. I therefore have a better right to the laptop than the whole world, except someone with a better claim (ie. the owner).

A consequence of this is that you can't take property from someone else even if they stole it. They have a better right than you do (unless you are the true owner). The defence of claiming "it's not yours anyway" is called jus tertii. It is virtually never applicable. You can't defend yourself from interfering with someone's property even if they stole it from someone else.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC

I just did possessory title yesterday :)

Its something like 12 years in your possession before it becomes rightfully yours (including over the previous rightful owner).

I always wondered how squatting worked, and now I do. This is why I love law school.

dissipate

HSC
N/A

thanks moonlight! i wish the judges could've written what you wrote instead of that longwinded confusing blob!

and i haven't done next week's reading on adverse possession yet stop making me panic!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)