• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

pip stuffff (1 Viewer)

schamoozlers

HSC
hey guys for my major work for society and culture (pip) i am doing the power of song basically.. is it the technical stuff that arouses our emotions or is it the lyrics?... i will b posting a questionnaire on here later but i really wanna know ur ideas on my topic...where u think i shuld go with it... ne help will b greatly appreciated..as i m s-t-ruggling

HSC
i did SAC for the HSC (last year) my pip topic was VERY similar....basically it was how music can shape our personalities and attitudes while we are growing up and i did the cross-cultural comparsion of time, coz i examined the power of music in terms of my teen years (still current) my 2 sisters teen years, 80's, and my mums teen years (60's)

Zyklon

Banned
HSC
schamoozlers said:
hey guys for my major work for society and culture (pip) i am doing the power of song basically.. is it the technical stuff that arouses our emotions or is it the lyrics?... i will b posting a questionnaire on here later but i really wanna know ur ideas on my topic...where u think i shuld go with it... ne help will b greatly appreciated..as i m s-t-ruggling
How can it be the lyrics? Some of the most emotional music I've heard has either incoherant lyrics or lyrics in a foreign language.

schamoozlers

HSC
so hiphophorray u r saying that i shuld mayb look at it from that point of view? like over time and how things have changed and the things that are making us cry today in comparison to wat made my mum cry?

em_516

bludging..
HSC
wow, you're leaving it a tad late to have no idea what you're doing! i think it can be the actual melody/technical side of the music and/or the lyrics, depends on a lot of factors i guess..i dunno, research it! get out there and get some primary info..you need to find out how people feel about it, maybe how you feel about it for some personal reflection hehe and then get some secondary sources (although that'll be harder i think..or maybe not, i'm not sure, i don't really know your topic)

but yeh, you DEFINITELY need a CCC, so work one out and i guess base your pip around that..it can be based on time or race as already said..or age, gender, class, sexuality..things like that. time would probably be the most obvious BUT you could just as easily do age or gender..

G

Gavvvvvin

Yeah the music should complement the lyrics too help create emotion...like a sad song would use minor chords instead of majors becasue they have a more intense sound.

lei

HSC
While it is a combination of the two, I reckon personally its the lyrical structure and also the way the lyrics are sung

slip

HSC
minor - sad, major - happy is a far to simple statement and i would implore you not to write anything like that in your report.

its both music and lyrics. i mean look at john butler trio - the ocean and see the effect it has on you. but at the same time listen to henry rollins spoken word shit and see the effect.

its neither one or the other but both at the same time.

music will create mood, eg if its up beat in a bright tonality and the insturments give it a bright tone colour, like guitar brass etc (strings is a darker tonality) the music will probably give you a feelign of joy. if its hard and fast with driving percussion but melodic it might get you excited pump you up. if there is lots of deep resonant chords and strings and not much percussion then it might reate an empty feeling etc. music can change our mood.

lyrics are open to interpretation but the create more of a meaning, but they sort of reinforce a mood. like if you choose a song like brand new 70x7 cause your pissed off about being dumped it will help you take it all out. something like american idoit is likely to highlight the stupidity of americas government. etc. a song may be choosen due to its lyrics to reinforce a mood, or to prove a point. the music will support the msg in the lyrics.

schamoozlers

HSC
i totally understand that i need a cross cultural aspect that is why i have called upon ur great selves to help me with that, i did not want to do the cliche over time stuff but then again that is the response i have gotten on many occasions
one suggestion i have gotten is
'The power of Music on Adolescence' looking at all the stages of which we go thru.. and compare todays youth to the youth of the Beatles Era or something along those lines.
And dont get me wrong i realise its a bit late for me to have no idea, but i have changed my topic atleast three times and i cannot find something that i m truly passionate about enuff to get me motivated enuff to sit down and make the effort... lazy i know

em_516

bludging..
HSC
lol..i reckon you'd be lucky if you had something you could do a pip on that you're really passionate about :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)